Will Matt Cardle's new album flop?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Well popmartz and sandy -louis do ..they must be so excited to find out where Matt is in the charts ..its all they live for as far as i can see:D..
    They are the top poster on this thread nearly a 100 posts together

Coming from someone with more than 3000 posts in Matt's Appreciation thread no less. :D
  • dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popsmartz wrote: »
    Matt, Matt, is that you?:confused: If it is, I can give Fat Cyril a bell and tell him to cancel Steps. I'll tell him I'm happy to take the support act only. In fact, f**k Fat Cyril, we can sort this ourselves and split his fee. Does £100.00 in cash plus a lift to and from the station sound ok?
    I shouldn't laugh because you say some harsh stuff about Matt - but that is funny :D:D

I'm not sure what the fees for the various artists on the bill in Stockport were - there were local acts, a few people who auditioned for BGT but never made it to the final, then of course Matt Cardle and the mighty Steps.

I would imagine the local acts and BGT folk got a pie and a pint and perhaps bus fare home.

I would hope Matt got significantly more than that, and Steps would have got the most.

Stockport ain't rich though, I should know, I work there. I can't imagine anyone's fee being astronomical.

I've got some lovely photos of last night anyway:) Very chuffed.
  • AwesomeGeorgeAwesomeGeorge Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    It will probably achieve a respectable first week position. But it will freefall next week.

You have well and truly called it--out of the Top 40 after less than two weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    You have well and truly called it--out of the Top 40 after less than two weeks.
    He needs the new single to kick off asap.
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,476
    Forum Member
    Chi wrote: »
    He needs the new single to kick off asap.

Isn't being released until the 31st December i believe, not sure why really..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »
    Isn't being released until the 31st December i believe, not sure why really..
    New Year's Eve? What a shame it's not being released before Christmas, it would have been nice for his album to get a seasonal boost due to people hearing the new single and buying the CD off the back of that.
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,476
    Forum Member
    dorahall wrote: »
    New Year's Eve? What a shame it's not being released before Christmas, it would have been nice for his album to get a seasonal boost due to people hearing the new single and buying the CD off the back of that.

Yeh that is what I assumed they would be going for but obviously not..
  • MehitabelMehitabel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've spent a lot of years in marketing. I can't for the life of me figure out the strategy behind a 12/31 release. Anyone else have any ideas?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the thinking is that if the new single's released in the run-up to Christmas, it will become "lost in the crowd", and that a New Year release date might just...just....get things moving.
  • MehitabelMehitabel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    Maybe the thinking is that if the new single's released in the run-up to Christmas, it will become "lost in the crowd", and that a New Year release date might just...just....get things moving.

Sure. That must be it. Right after people are beginning to realize how much money they spent over the holidays and regretting at least some of it. Or maybe they think people will make Support Matt Cardle their New Year's Resolution. I've been wrong before, but this strikes me as something no one thought through - like maybe the second single release was an afterthought and that's as soon as they could get it out. It will come out on New Year's Eve when everyone is distracted by their party/celebration, followed by the New Year's Day hangover, followed by OMG, I have to go back to work tomorrow. Sheer brilliance, if you ask me. I think his marketing team has shot themselves in the foot. Again.

(PS - I'm not wishing Matt ill, but I can't figure out the wisdom behind a lot of what he does.)
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mehitabel wrote: »
    Sure. That must be it. Right after people are beginning to realize how much money they spent over the holidays and regretting at least some of it. Or maybe they think people will make Support Matt Cardle their New Year's Resolution. I've been wrong before, but this strikes me as something no one thought through - like maybe the second single release was an afterthought and that's as soon as they could get it out. It will come out on New Year's Eve when everyone is distracted by their party/celebration, followed by the New Year's Day hangover, followed by OMG, I have to go back to work tomorrow. Sheer brilliance, if you ask me. I think his marketing team has shot themselves in the foot. Again.

(PS - I'm not wishing Matt ill, but I can't figure out the wisdom behind a lot of what he does.)

i'm just guessing but, the time when a single is likely to get airplay is in the lead up to its release - and afterwards if it charts well. As his is probably not expected to chart well by the label then the airplay is all they're interested in. Getting played in the lead up to Christmas might keep the album in the minds of the christmas purchaser, but there's little point in it being released before christmas as it'll get lost in the rush to be this years shameful no1, and the other assorted perennial jingly bell nonsense that'll be flying around. So they've gone for the first week after just in the hope it's gained enough notice to appear in the lower regions of the top 40 or somewhere not too far below.

i'd think;)
    Forum Member
    I don't think that the aim of the single is to sell itself but to promote the album. It is the airplay build up leading to the release that is important, and it will happen at the right time (ish) since usually airplay peaks shortly after a single release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that the aim of the single is to sell itself but to promote the album. It is the airplay build up leading to the release that is important, and it will happen at the right time (ish) since usually airplay peaks shortly after a single release.

I agree with you chi, the album is out already and the song can be downloaded so the aim is not focused on charting the single. It's deffo the airplay leading up to the release date to promote the album that's happening with this single.
    Forum Member
    But where will the album be in the charts by then? Out of the Top 500?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Matt should release his third single to coincide with Valentine's Day. He could do a TV ad campaign in the weeks leading up to it. Then another ad campaign in the run up to Mother's Day. That would ensure his album stays at a healthy position in the charts as different people will buy it for different reasons:)
    Forum Member
    I think Matt should release his third single to coincide with Valentine's Day. He could do a TV ad campaign in the weeks leading up to it.

But all the songs are about the breakup of a relationship! :confused:

Not really Valentine material if you ask me.
  • AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mehitabel wrote: »
    I've spent a lot of years in marketing. I can't for the life of me figure out the strategy behind a 12/31 release. Anyone else have any ideas?

His singles do not sell, which his marketing team realises. Putting out for Xmas, there is too much competition, whereby going for a later date, when things are quiet, he might have more of a chance. It also does not prevent promotion before release. My opinion, but I may be wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AMS13 wrote: »
    His singles do not sell, which his marketing team realises. Putting out for Xmas, there is too much competition, whereby going for a later date, when things are quiet, he might have more of a chance. It also does not prevent promotion before release. My opinion, but I may be wrong.
    That sounds likely, there's not a lot of point in him attempting to compete against the various Christmas releases.

I still think he should hold out for a release nearer to Valentine's Day - heartbreak songs they may be, but they are still beautifully written love songs.

But hey, who am I to suggest marketing strategies to a musician? I work for a bank:o
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CARA2000 wrote: »
    An XF act like 1D were formed in order to be the perfect 'marketing mix'. The recipe has been tried and tested and very rarely fails.

I don't know a lot about how they market in the Industry. Have noticed with several acts outside of the extremely commercial mainstream, as example above, that they do have some confusing strategies to sell/promote albums. Many are not bothering to bring out singles at all.

It must be very difficult when your niche is outside of the mainstream. :confused:

Did you miss the thread title??:confused:
    Forum Member
    Ah ah, both Matt and Joe will perform at the Sheffield Christmas lights switch-on
    http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/win-meet-x-factor-stars-at-sheffield-lights-1-5134922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah ah, both Matt and Joe will perform at the Sheffield Christmas lights switch-on
    http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/win-meet-x-factor-stars-at-sheffield-lights-1-5134922

Matt is doing preston as well:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What!:eek:

You mean the guy who was on Big Brother?:eek:

Well, well, this changes absolutely everything!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hear they've been rehearsing a duet of the old Eagles classic 'Desperado'. Should be great!
  • copterpylonscopterpylons Posts: 195
    Forum Member

I hope it goes better for him than Stockport. My friend played me the audio she recorded on her phone Wednesday night:

Matt:

"Good Evening Stockport!!"

Crowd:

"WE WANT STEPS!!!WE WANT STEPS!!!WE WANT STEPS!!!WE WANT STEPS!!!WE WANT STEPS!!!"

Sad but true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it goes better for him than Stockport. My friend played me the audio she recorded on her phone Wednesday night:

Matt:

"Good Evening Stockport!!"

Crowd:

"WE WANT STEPS!!!WE WANT STEPS!!!WE WANT STEPS!!!WE WANT STEPS!!!WE WANT STEPS!!!"

Sad but true.

There is a video of Matt saying hello to Stockport on this facebook page of the MCAG and oddly enough the crowd seem to be cheering.:rolleyes:

http://www.facebook.com/mattcardle.ag?filter=2