Should cinemas be banned from showing 3D only versions of a film?

Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
Forum Member
I ask, because I was going to see the new Star Trek film at Cineworld next month until I saw they were hosting 3D screenings only.

I despise 3D. I have no interest whatsoever in ever seeing a film of any kind in 3D. Call me old fashioned, but it's just not for me. I know even if I weren't so disliking of it I'd find it uncomfortable due to the glasses, so for me it's just totally no go.

Now, I'm not saying "ban X thing because I dislike it" but I am suggesting that in the name of being fair cinemas should be made to show both 3D and 2D versions of a film. I've seen many people say they either dislike 3D or find it inaccessible due to the uncomfortable glasses or sight problems, so is it reasonable to suggest cinemas which host 3D screenings only of some films are going so far as to be discriminating?

What do people here think?

Comments

• Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think you can force a cinema to do anything it doesn't want to do. You can't force it to show any particular movie, if the owners of the cinema (and remember, Cineworld is not owned by the manager at that particular branch, but by Cineworld's head office) decide they don't want to show it.

If Cineworld think it is not financially viable to show a 2D version of a movie when they are already showing the 3D version, nobody can make them do it. If they think that there will not be enough people paying to see the 2D version, and they will make more money by showing an alternative movie to Star Trek in the other screens, then that is entirely up to them. If you want to see it in 2D, find an alternative cinema in your area which is showing it in 2D.
  • Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Don't think you can force a cinema to do anything it doesn't want to do. You can't force it to show any particular movie, if the owners of the cinema (and remember, Cineworld is not owned by the manager at that particular branch, but by Cineworld's head office) decide they don't want to show it.

If Cineworld think it is not financially viable to show a 2D version of a movie when they are already showing the 3D version, nobody can make them do it. If they think that there will not be enough people paying to see the 2D version, and they will make more money by showing an alternative movie to Star Trek in the other screens, then that is entirely up to them. If you want to see it in 2D, find an alternative cinema in your area which is showing it in 2D.

This makes sense, annoyingly. I just personally don't think it's on...but businesses make their own decisions and like you say, I can go elsewhere if I don't like it. Luckily I have a choice of three or four cinemas I can go to but many people are stuck with just one within reasonable distance. This is where discrimination on the cinemas part could come into play, maybe?
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    Luckily I have a choice of three or four cinemas I can go to but many people are stuck with just one within reasonable distance. This is where discrimination on the cinemas part could come into play, maybe?

Unlikely. Nobody could force your village pub - if there was only one - to serve Stella, if that was the only lager you liked. You couldn't claim they were discriminating against you by only serving Carlsberg and Becks, which you don't like. Nobody is forcing you to drink Carlsberg or Becks, they are on offer if you want them. And likewise, nobody is forcing you to go to the cinema to watch a movie in a format you don't like.

Why should any cinema show any movie, if they don't want to? And what rights would any prospective customer have, to say that the cinema is discriminating against them because they aren't showing a movie that the customer wants to see, or aren't showing it in a format that the customer wants to see it in?

Cineworld are showing a particular movie, in a particular format, and inviting customers to come and see it if they want to. Nobody is making anybody go see it if they don't want to. But certainly nobody could sue Cineworld for discrimination just because they don't want to go see it. And nobody could make Cineworld show it. Cineworld show movies that they think will make them a profit. You can't force them to show a movie which they think will make them a loss.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wouldn't go if it was only on in 3D
    Forum Member
    I just wouldn't go if it was only on in 3D

I don't either. I just feel for people that only have the one cinema they can get to, and have to miss out if they can't get along with 3D. It doesn't seem right to me.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I can not see the joy in 3D. It ruins the film and wearing two pairs of glasses or one pair with a clip on just looks ridiculous.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My post in which I stated that I think 3D film screenings are too expensive, and that I'd rather watch films via other means (eg On DVD/Blu-ray) has been removed and I've received an email which states that 'discussion of illegal activities is not permitted on our forums'.

What the heck?!:confused:
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I wear glasses and have no problem with the real 3D specs, the fit perfectly over my glasses and do not interfere with the viewing experience. I have a slight stigmatism, and in some cases I do not get the full 3D effect on some shots.

At our cineworld the cost of 3D showing is exactly the same as the 2D version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I ask, because I was going to see the new Star Trek film at Cineworld next month until I saw they were hosting 3D screenings only.

I despise 3D. I have no interest whatsoever in ever seeing a film of any kind in 3D. Call me old fashioned, but it's just not for me. I know even if I weren't so disliking of it I'd find it uncomfortable due to the glasses, so for me it's just totally no go.

Now, I'm not saying "ban X thing because I dislike it" but I am suggesting that in the name of being fair cinemas should be made to show both 3D and 2D versions of a film. I've seen many people say they either dislike 3D or find it inaccessible due to the uncomfortable glasses or sight problems, so is it reasonable to suggest cinemas which host 3D screenings only of some films are going so far as to be discriminating?

Cineworld WILL be showing Star Trek in 2D, they just don't know how many prints of the 2D film they will be receiving, hence why they haven't programmed any times for it yet. It was the same with Iron Man 3 which didn't list any 2D times until the week before release.
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can not see the joy in 3D. It ruins the film and wearing two pairs of glasses or one pair with a clip on just looks ridiculous.

Go on then i'll bite....... Just how vain are you that you think, in a dark cinema, people will be looking at you rather than watch a film they have paid silly money to see? :confused::confused:

Honestly, no one (else) cares what the glasses look like over a pair of regular specs.
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Cineworld WILL be showing Star Trek in 2D, they just don't know how many prints of the 2D film they will be receiving, hence why they haven't programmed any times for it yet. It was the same with Iron Man 3 which didn't list any 2D times until the week before release.

Oh, thank you! :) On the website there is nothing at all about 2D screenings so I jumped the gun a bit.

Still, it's an interesting topic I think. I've appreciated the replies.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

To answer your question - No.

But hows about sending an email or doing something really old fashioned and write to the Cinema manager and tell him that you are not going to see the film because it is only in 3D.
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's another point to this and that focuses on disability and discrimination which perhaps could force cinemas to offer the 2D version. I have ambliopia which means I don't use binocular vision as my left eye barely works. 3D is of no use to me as I wouldn't get the benefit and might be distracting for me viewing through one eye anyway. So to only provide a film for people with normal binocular vision, which in itself is a more expensive option, might actually be breaking the disability act. I'm no expert, but I have read discussions about this before and there are a lot of people who have similar eye problems and think it's something that will eventually be brought to book.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a good way to loose money. If people don't want to see 3d then they wont pay to see it,they will wait for the DVD or blu ray.,
    If i were the cinema id show both 2d and 3d therefore giving people the option of 2d or 3d
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too don't like 3D and will always choose the 2D option when avaliable. If it wasn't avaliable then i'll just wait or the DVD, its not a problem.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think private enterprises should be 'banned' from showing or not showing whatever they please.
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I too don't like 3D and will always choose the 2D option when avaliable. If it wasn't avaliable then i'll just wait or the DVD, its not a problem.

Me too. Luckily films come out on DVD/Blu-Ray relatively fast these days. There are also *cough*other means*cough* of being able to see films, so the cinemas are only hurting themselves by not offering 2D versions. Cinemas really don't do themselves any favours sometimes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Banning is a bit strong but any sensible business should offer their customers a choice. Afterall they will loose the business of people like yourself.
  • spubbbbaspubbbba Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »

This is the solution, if cinemas see ticket sales plummet for 3D films and remain constant for 2D they will quickly stop.

I’m not sure how much profit they actually make off tickets compared to the overpriced food. So even if 3D is more profitable then they may still lose money if less people are going to the cinema because they don’t like 3D.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure that if the cinemas did stop 2d showings whether ticket sales would take a significant hit. I dislike 3d, but will go and see a film in 3d if it's something I want to see and there is no 2d showing available. I suspect the cinemas have an agenda of pushing it as they would have forked out the money for equipment that they don't want to see wasted.

Hopefully if 3d is here to stay, filmmakers will be start using the tech in a more intelligent way and cinema chains will learn to set their equipment up properly. I'm particually sick of shots in 3d films which are contrived to have something poking you in the eye, particually when watching it in 2d as there is nothing which drags you out of the film than thinking "oh look, that would be poking me in the eye if I was watching this in 3d. As it is, it's just a dude waving a sword around for absolutely no reason".
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Banning is a bit strong but any sensible business should offer their customers a choice. Afterall they will loose the business of people like yourself.

That is true, but as long as they've got bums on seats with a full cinema then I don't think they will be too bothered if some choose to go elsewhere.
    The only time they will have a rethink is if their 3D showings are half empty the majority of the time.
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horses for courses; you'll always find 2d on somewhere, just go to a different cinema.

Personally, I prefer IMAX to standard 3d. If i must wear those ridiculous glasses, at least lets have a proper experience. But mostly prefer 2d. So am seeing iron Man 3 in 2d but have Star Trek booked. for IMAX.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Cineworld will be showing the 2D version is just that they only allow advance booking for 3D showings.
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Cineworld will be showing the 2D version is just that they only allow advance booking for 3D showings.

Thanks for the info. Seems daft to me to not allow advanced 2D bookings as well for popular films like Star Trek, Iron Man, etc...luckily I'm not forced to use Cineworld and have other options.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited - nothing to see.