Anyone Else Here never Heard of The Free EHIC card (medical cover in Europe)

DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just happened upon Martin Lewis on This Morning, this morning, and he was talking about it.

I had never heard of it before, but it might help you get ill when travelling in the EU, either getting you free treatment, or a cut in fees.

Heres a link with info on MSE

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/free-ehic-card

Comments

• JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Yes, You used to get them from the post office, don't know if you still do.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Yes, I got mine last year. EHIC plus is also what I used for travel insurance.`
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes!

Is there a prize?
  • collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got one too. Can't believe anybody would go to mainland Europe without it.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just happened upon Martin Lewis on This Morning, this morning, and he was talking about it.

I had never heard of it before, but it might help you get ill when travelling in the EU, either getting you free treatment, or a cut in fees.

Heres a link with info on MSE

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/free-ehic-card

Why would you want summat that may make you ill?

Yes, heard of it.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had one for a few years now. Costs nothing and is simple to apply for so may as well get one if you travel in Europe.

You can apply online for one here;

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far it's just you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Had one for ages. Before that, I had an E111.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think you're better stowing your blood bag in the overhead luggage and coming back on Ryan Air. If they let you sit down.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think anyone travelled in Europe without one. Didn't they used to be called an E111 before it became EHIC?
  • kramstan70kramstan70 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Yes, I got mine last year. EHIC plus is also what I used for travel insurance.`

It's good to have but not really advisable to use it in place of travel insurance as it doesn't guarantee free medical treatment. It simply puts you on an equal footing with nationals of the country you travel to (as long as they have a reciprocal agreement with UK). There are some EU countries where you have to pay for medical treatment and the EHIC won't cover things like the costs of flying you back home with medical assistance if needed. Always advisable to take out travel insurance as well.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    kramstan70 wrote: »
    It's good to have but not really advisable to use it in place of travel insurance as it doesn't guarantee free medical treatment. It simply puts you on an equal footing with nationals of the country you travel to (as long as they have a reciprocal agreement with UK). There are some EU countries where you have to pay for medical treatment and the EHIC won't cover things like the costs of flying you back home with medical assistance if needed. Always advisable to take out travel insurance as well.

EHIC Plus is travel insurance. Sorry, my post wasn't clear.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes my daughter was going on a day trip to france with the school and we'd never heard of it but she needed one to go.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, looks like its just me and Holly Willowby that didnt know.