Options

Ovarian pain - sent for scan

belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,

just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with ovarian pain?

I have had a dull ache in the region of my left ovary for about a month and a half. I went to the doctor today and he is sending me for a scan.

I am a dreadful worrier and have obviously now assumed I have ovarian cancer. I was wondering if anybody had similar symptoms to me and what they turned out to be?

- Dull, slight ache in left ovary
- No change in bowels/periods
- No noticeable bloating
- Doctor said he couldn't feel any sort of mass there
- No odd bleeding
- Slight lower back pain on that side
- Slightly longer cycle (32 days rather than my normal 29)
- Been having fuzzy headaches almost constantly for a couple of weeks, but this could be the overspill of labyrinthitis that I've had on and off since September 08

I'm 25, have no children, am not on pill (but used to be, from age 17 - 21), am 5 foot 7 and size 14/16.

I'm hoping to God it's a cyst or something....

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody?!

:cry:
  • Options
    sweet cheekssweet cheeks Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are not in the age bracket for Ovarian cancer OP so it's highly unlikely. Please try not to worry. It's most likely a cyst and this can be easily treated. Sit tight until the scan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are not in the age bracket for Ovarian cancer OP so it's highly unlikely. Please try not to worry. It's most likely a cyst and this can be easily treated. Sit tight until the scan.

Thank you!! :D My Logic Brain tells me that I can't be anything bad, but my Hypochondriac Brain is driving me insane.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My colleague at work died from ovarian cancer. She'd been having symptoms for at least 3 years but was fobbed off constantly by her GP with an IBS diagnosis. You are much younger than her, she was mid forties.

I hope your scan shows everything is OK. It doesnt sound like you have the classic symptoms but fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always had IBS style problems...but was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. That's another thing that worries me...that my strange bowels that I've always have are in some way linked to this ovary problem....and that these headaches/fuzzy feelings, which the doctors said is labyrinthitis, is metastasised ovarian cancer.

I am so stupid. I need to just wait for the scan.

:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you always had funny bowels then that is a positive in terms of ovarian cancer.

Its new symptoms you need to look out for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah you didn't say you have CD. Perhaps the pain you are experiencing is a flare up of your CD? The scan will show up any inflammation anyhow. Stay away from the internet - you'll only end up scaring yourself! I speak as a former hypo :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor poked and said it was in the wrong place for Crohn's. It's way too low for bowel...it's definitely ovary region.

I hate Dr Google. :(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and FORMER hypo?? How did you get out of it?? I wish I could!
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had very similar symptoms for just over a month, and I'm going for a scan too. However, as soon as the scan was booked the pain disappeared! :confused: I'm still going though, just in case.

My pelvic pain was quite low down though, more in the bladder area and was very painful to pressure - lying on my stomach was nigh on impossible. Is yours like that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well whenever I feel poorly I DON'T look up my symptoms on the internet anymore then convince myself I have the worst possible disease in the entire world, spend days/weeks fretting about it and thus convince myself I'm experiencing more of the symptoms of the disease I think I have - when in reality it's all in my head!

I go to GP and my fears are alleviated.

Simple :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well whenever I feel poorly I DON'T look up my symptoms on the internet anymore then convince myself I have the worst possible disease in the entire world, spend days/weeks fretting about it and thus convince myself I'm experiencing more of the symptoms of the disease I think I have - when in reality it's all in my head!

The OP has visited her doctor, and is looking for reassurance while awaiting her scan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I've had very similar symptoms for just over a month, and I'm going for a scan too. However, as soon as the scan was booked the pain disappeared! :confused: I'm still going though, just in case.

My pelvic pain was quite low down though, more in the bladder area and was very painful to pressure - lying on my stomach was nigh on impossible. Is yours like that?

No...lying down is fine, and when I try to press on the area I can never seem to "hit" it...it feels too far in, somehow.

My abdomen isn't hard/bloated at all...I can pull my flab right up so my stomach looks flat! Hahahaha....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I SO do all that. :( Straight to Google, and no wonder I am now convinced I have ovarian cancer. Headaches are not possibly stress related; they're definitely metastasised cancer beasts tumouring up my brain.

I am the world's biggest idiot.

I wish my scan was tomorrow. I hate waiting.

Stupid effing ovary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    belomb wrote: »
    No...lying down is fine, and when I try to press on the area I can never seem to "hit" it...it feels too far in, somehow.

My abdomen isn't hard/bloated at all...I can pull my flab right up so my stomach looks flat! Hahahaha....

Different to me then, I had a very defined painful area. Bodies can be odd, can't they!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and Deb...when's your scan? I don't have a date for mine yet; I'm awaiting the letter. You must keep in touch and let me know how you get on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP has visited her doctor, and is looking for reassurance while awaiting her scan.

Yes, I read that and understand that. She asked me how I am no longer a hypo and I replied. What's your problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and Deb...when's your scan? I don't have a date for mine yet; I'm awaiting the letter. You must keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Yep - waiting for my letter too. Last week I was convinced I had cervical cancer (I've had a lump of rancid cervix removed in the past, and the pain before the op was the same as this) but suddenly it's OK.....odd.

Yes - I'll let you know when my scan is, you PM me when you hear too - we can be scan buddies! They said the letter would be a couple of weeks, that was on Monday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I read that and understand that. She asked me how I am no longer a hypo and I replied. What's your problem?

Sorry, I read your post as having a go at her for asking online about her symptoms. Apologies if I misunderstood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I read your post as having a go at her for asking online about her symptoms. Apologies if I misunderstood.

No worries. No need to apologise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep - waiting for my letter too. Last week I was convinced I had cervical cancer (I've had a lump of rancid cervix removed in the past, and the pain before the op was the same as this) but suddenly it's OK.....odd.

Yes - I'll let you know when my scan is, you PM me when you hear too - we can be scan buddies! They said the letter would be a couple of weeks, that was on Monday.

Whee, scan buddies!!

I'm expecting a letter towards the end of next week.

I don't think I'd be so worried if I wasn't having headaches as well. Headaches are probably a symptom of the anxiety rather than anything else, but it's definitely making it worse!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I SO do all that. :( Straight to Google, and no wonder I am now convinced I have ovarian cancer. Headaches are not possibly stress related; they're definitely metastasised cancer beasts tumouring up my brain.

I am the world's biggest idiot.

I wish my scan was tomorrow. I hate waiting.

Stupid effing ovary.

I hear ya sista! I drove my partner, family and friends insane with my hypo-ponderings. Their sympathetic listening eventually turned to heavy sighs and head-shaking annoyance. I'm older and wise now (haha).

Yes the waiting is a pain (no pun intended) but take comfort in that you're getting this investigated.

Edit: btw, my gp is sending me for a pelvic scan (5th June). My appointment took about 3 weeks to come through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, we'll be getting the letters about the same time. Have you had a scan before? I've had them when I've been pregnant, they're not unpleasant.

PS - The headaches are probably more stress related than anything, would warm scented baths help?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we'll be getting the letters about the same time. Have you had a scan before? I've had them when I've been pregnant, they're not unpleasant.

PS - The headaches are probably more stress related than anything, would warm scented baths help?

Had one earlier! I love baths.

With the scan...they put something thin up your wotsit; is that correct?

sweet cheeks - Mr Belomb just laughs at me. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had one earlier! I love baths.

With the scan...they put something thin up your wotsit; is that correct?

sweet cheeks - Mr Belomb just laughs at me. :(

If it's like a pregnancy scan, they just put goo on your tummy & press the camera thingy onto your abdomen. It hadn't occurred to me that it might be internal, but as the GP called it ultrasound I assumed it would be the same as a baby scan. I hope so!