Jon Culshaw's new show

13»

Comments

• linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it. :)

Weakest sketch for me was Ashes to Austen. Most of the others were spot on and if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Michael McIntyre should be beaming!

And I've just heard it being slagged off on LBC by Steve Allen, who didn't even see it.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This old fossil loved it too. Will certainly watch again next week
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The Michael McIntyre one was spot on :D Not keen on his Gene Hunt though nor Simon Cowell (especially since I'd just seen the real one on XF). The sketch conceit with Hunt (Ashes to Austen) was clever though :) ITV also made Lost in Austen didnt they?

How accurate was Debra's Cheryl? :D Also liked the famous five sketch :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Ross Kemp on Gangs sketch was hilarious, funniest thing on TV for ages. I was wondering how long it would take for a funny spoof of the Ross Kemp documentary shows to appear. It was worth the wait. I can't quite understand why BBC1 premiere this new series this week and then say at the end that it will be back in a fortnight. They should find space in the schedules to push new shows by guaranteeing them the same timeslot for the first few shows to try and build up an audience, especially comedy shows that might be funny and popular!
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JasonMason wrote: »
    The Ross Kemp on Gangs sketch was hilarious, funniest thing on TV for ages. I was wondering how long it would take for a funny spoof of the Ross Kemp documentary shows to appear. It was worth the wait. I can't quite understand why BBC1 premiere this new series this week and then say at the end that it will be back in a fortnight. They should find space in the schedules to push new shows by guaranteeing them the same timeslot for the first few shows to try and build up an audience, especially comedy shows that might be funny and popular!

BBC1's original schedule for last night had Casualty running from 9.20 to 10.10 which meant there was no reason for viewers to switch to BBC1 when X Factor ended at 9.45. Looks like Impression Show was scheduled here to try to lure viewers away from Piers Morgan meets Dannii Minogue and stop Morgan's ratings going through the roof on the back of X Factor (cos the guy's smug enough as it is:p;)). Whether the ploy works remains to be seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    gillypanda wrote: »
    These impressions are brilliant! The Davina was spot-on :D

Does anyone else think the Jonathan Ross looks more like the journalist guy from "The Airport" ? :D

Yes I thought that, I was thinking well he isn't exactly someone worthy of impersonating. Doh it's meant to be Jonathan Ross!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Davina McCall, Michael McIntyre, Eamonn Holmes all brilliant. Best of all was Ricky Gervais. Ross Kemp was rubbish though and the Minogue stuff, went on too long and just wasn't funny at all.
  • TungstenTungsten Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was a bit hit and miss. Culshaw's Littlewood and MacIntyre were spot on, but as has been said, the sketchs need to be funnier. Stephenson is good, but not a patch on Jan Ravens, who also does a more accurate Anne Robinson.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Lime Kiln wrote: »
    It was ruined by the stupid Ashes Meets Austen bit. Just stupid.
    It wasn't fantastic (simply because Gene Hunt is too mighty for Austen :D) but it wasn't awful...
    catcc003 wrote: »
    Loved the show it was brilliant :D
    The Michael McIntyre one was brilliant and i'm seeing live next week I'll just have Jon's impression in my head :)
    Jon Culshaw is the best :)
    Loved the Ashes to Austen, Ross Kemp, Anne Robinson well all of them actually which is surprising for a sketch show I can't wait for next week now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ross Kemp, Michael McIntyre, Ashes and Eamonn were my favourites :D
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Eamonn Holmes eating everything is superb
    Agree !

grimtales1 wrote: »
    The Michael McIntyre one was spot on :D Not keen on his Gene Hunt though nor Simon Cowell (especially since I'd just seen the real one on XF). The sketch conceit with Hunt (Ashes to Austen) was clever though :) ITV also made Lost in Austen didnt they?

How accurate was Debra's Cheryl? :D Also liked the famous five sketch :)

I thought he did pretty well with Simon Cowell- Gene Hunt wasn't fantastic but it was fairly accurate. Nowhere near enough gorgeousness in the voice though :D
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it on again this Saturday? Just went to set the V+ up and couldn't find it.
  • dazdudedazdude Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    jaimesw wrote: »
    Is it on again this Saturday? Just went to set the V+ up and couldn't find it.

Is back in 2 weeks time due to the festival of remembrance
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant programme, missed it at the weekend due to watching Most Haunted Live (hmmmm enough said) anyway, heard Chris Moyles and team raving about it so watched it on iplayer... definitely a watch in future.

Loved Ricky, Davina, Dannii (not so much Kylie), Anne R, Michael M.. well all of it really. I'm not usually a fan of impressionist programmes but Debra and John are very talented.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it with low expectations, John Culshaw was brilliant and the highlights were Michael MacIntyre, Eamonn Holmes and thought Debra was very good at impressions, I think she did impressions before she got into acting.

Shows like this, it's not just the voice that need to be right but the mannerisms too, the exception is probably Bo Selecta where the voices and mannerisms were nothing like the real people but it was very funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    belomb wrote: »
    Holy crap! How much does Debra Stephenson actually LOOK like Christine Bleakley?!

Michael Macintyre impression alarmingly accurate!

Holy crap!! Does anybody else thin k that Culshaw is a totally shit impressionist?.Every impression he does ,sounds like John Culshaw trying to sound like someone else.I think he's awful .He doesn't look or sound like the people he's doing.Just because he has good wigs and accesories to aid him, doesn't make him a good impressionist
    Debra Stephenson on the other hand nails it.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holy crap!! Does anybody else thin k that Culshaw is a totally shit impressionist?.Every impression he does ,sounds like John Culshaw trying to sound like someone else.I think he's awful .He doesn't look or sound like the people he's doing.Just because he has good wigs and accesories to aid him, doesn't make him a good impressionist
    Debra Stephenson on the other hand nails it.

He's limited in how much he can look like some of the people he impersonates, but he's got a hell of a lot of the voices down pat - Michael McIntyre, Bruce Forsyth.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Bruce Forsythe sounded that much like him at all, and Gok Wan sounded like Dale Winton. I admit I preferred Dead Ringers, though I do like Debra's impressions. If they bought back Dead Ringers and added Debra to the cast, I think they'd have a good show, as I always felt they needed a second female impressionist- they were too limited only having Jan.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    I don't think Bruce Forsythe sounded that much like him at all

I thought it was pretty close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debra is brilliant in this. I thought the Tess/Vernon/Bruce sketch was a bit poor (apart from Bruce) on the Saturday night show, but then when I watched them doing Tess and Terry on CIN (I watched it on Sunday - so I could skip to the bits I wanted to see), I thought Debra was brilliant and had the voice spot on! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Behave.... this guy is embarrasingly CRAP... not one sounds like anyone other than himself... paul burling is a million times better. ive seen mych better amateur impressionists, just how has he got on tv?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smiffo99 wrote: »
    Behave.... this guy is embarrasingly CRAP... not one sounds like anyone other than himself... paul burling is a million times better. ive seen mych better amateur impressionists, just how has he got on tv?

Well, what a delightful first post on the forums. Really constructive and adding so much to the thread.:eek:

You are teasing us aren't you? PLEASE say you are...
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, what a delightful first post on the forums. Really constructive and adding so much to the thread.:eek:

You are teasing us aren't you? PLEASE say you are...
    To be fair, s/he's not wrong. And it's no less constructive than a lot of comments I've seen about the show (or, come to that, a great many shows across these boards).

Digging up a two year old thread was a bit odd though, when there's a more recent one here.... http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1554030&highlight=impressions
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    To be fair, s/he's not wrong. And it's no less constructive than a lot of comments I've seen about the show (or, come to that, a great many shows across these boards).

Digging up a two year old thread was a bit odd though, when there's a more recent one here.... http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1554030&highlight=impressions

Fair enough. It just seems strange to dig up a 2 year old thread just to have a go at Jon Culshaw. Paul Burling had his own ITV special after BGT and nothing really seems to have come from that so maybe the "powers that be" think Culshaw is the better impressionist.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough. It just seems strange to dig up a 2 year old thread just to have a go at Jon Culshaw. Paul Burling had his own ITV special after BGT and nothing really seems to have come from that so maybe the "powers that be" think Culshaw is the better impressionist.

Perhaps ITV just thought it was an old hat format and commissioned no more. He'll make a living on the club circuit.