• Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Max Farnham was a bit hot though!
  • Options
    ziggy*stardustziggy*stardust Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    It was all about Jimmy Corkhill- best character. They never should've split him and Jackie up though- esp in the ridiculous lesbian-comes-on-to-her storyline. Also Bev was great and I suppose therefore Ron as well.

Great soap, got a bit stupid towards the end so I suppose it was time to finish it really. I liked it though- very ground breaking and original- if a tad far-fetched :D
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Such a shame for so many on here that they only seem to have watched it after about 1994 or so, when it suddenly turned to total rubbish.

Believe me, the glory days of the 80's were untouchable. It was usually good and frequently great.

Jimmy Corckhill was little more than a guest character and more effective for it. When he became more or less the 'hero' of the show it wasn't a good move.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Such a shame for so many on here that they only seem to have watched it after about 1994 or so, when it suddenly turned to total rubbish.

Believe me, the glory days of the 80's were untouchable. It was usually good and frequently great.

Jimmy Corckhill was little more than a guest character and more effective for it. When he became more or less the 'hero' of the show it wasn't a good move.

I only remember stories from the early 90's as I was born in the 80's! It's a shame UK Gold doesn't exist anymore as I would have loved to have seen the Brookside from the 80's. I have to disagree about Jimmy as he was the heart and soul of the show towards the end.
  • Options
    ShedheddShedhedd Posts: 1,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plant_Pie wrote: »
    And Bev and her crazy clothes.Think it was her anyway

It was definately Bev. And the chickens, who can forget the chicken episodes..her and Ron were soap comedy gold..lol

All the Jimmy Corkhill storylines, all the Grant storylines, in fact all the characters storylines were brilliant, Barry Grant was a harder man than both the Mitchells put together.

I loved the way they ended it, Developers were moving in to buy up all the properties, so Jimmy went around and flooded all the empty properties, then in the closing scene he used a felt pen to write on the "Brookside Close" sign to change it to say "Brookside Closed"

Soap gold IMO, I loved Brookside and wish they would reshow it.
  • Options
    CollybirdCollybird Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Collybird, I think the producers told the actor his character was innocent and at the last minute told him he was guilty. It was really convincing. One thing always bugged me about the Musgroves. I know it is not impossible but the parents and the oldest child had Irish accidents. The younger 3 children, all had Scouse accidents.

Thanks for that ReubenClara, I've been wondering that for years.

I can only vaguely remember the bizarre explanation for the Musgrove accent situation; Luke was brought up in Ireland by his Auntie and Uncle (the reason I can't remember), whilst his parents oddly moved to Liverpool.

But when I think back I'm sure Ryan was the eldest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Collybird wrote: »
    Thanks for that ReubenClara, I've been wondering that for years.

I can only vaguely remember the bizarre explanation for the Musgrove accent situation; Luke was brought up in Ireland by his Auntie and Uncle (the reason I can't remember), whilst his parents oddly moved to Liverpool.

But when I think back I'm sure Ryan was the eldest.

I am so sad, I googled it. It turns out Luke's aunt had abortion when she was younger, arranged by Joey, Luke's dad. He then felt guilty so he gave her Luke to raise under the guise that he and Niamh couldn't afford to keep him. They then moved to Liverpool and brought Luke over later.It seems as though the Brookie producers thought of everything!

Luke was the eldest. Ryan was the only one in the family with any sense until he cheated on Katie :mad: !
  • Options
    CollybirdCollybird Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so sad, I googled it. It turns out Luke's aunt had abortion when she was younger, arranged by Joey, Luke's dad. He then felt guilty so he gave her Luke to raise under the guise that he and Niamh couldn't afford to keep him. They then moved to Liverpool and brought Luke over later.It seems as though the Brookie producers thought of everything!

Luke was the eldest. Ryan was the only one in the family with any sense until he cheated on Katie :mad: !

You know I hate to criticise my beloved Brookie but that is hilariously ridiculous; what sane human being would just give their baby away because they felt guilty?! Especially their first born.

I hated the Musgroves as I was a rabid Jason Shadwick fan (like crazily obsessed), he hated them so I had to too.

A couple of years after the Musgroves hasty exit I saw Samuel James Hudson in Grease and spent the whole time mumbling under my breath 'rapist's brother' as though it was Ryan's fault! I was completely deluded as a teen.