Do we actually believe hoarding is an illness?

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I, for one, am not convinced. Having just watched Britain's Biggest Hoarders on iplayer, and seen the american version, Hoarders, these people seem to be filthy and innately untidy and unhygienic individuals, content living in their own muck. When it starts to have a negative impact upon one's life, one ought to recognise there is a problem. We need to declutter our boxroom as we use it to store things we have no room for anywhere else. But we are certainly not hoarders. These people always find an excuse for their hoarding: their childhood, something which happened to them in the past, etc. We all have/have had problems, but do not choose to live among a mass of filth and excrement. I watched this programme because there was nothing else on, but I definitely don't think this topic shoud even be given airtime. They are portrayed as victims which they are not; they opt to live in this environment. Constable David Rathband is a genuine victim and, to categorise these muck middens as such, is disrespectful to him.

Comments

• teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's an illness. It's just that people make excuses for everything these days and by turning hoarding into an illness, it gives more people an excuse to be bone idle and live in filth and squalor.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    They need to have a wash and a tidy up and get the hell off my tv.
  • TEOLTEOL Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    These people won't hoarders at all really. Hoarders are people who keep things for the sake of it that they can actually use but don't use them at all.

These so called hoarders were just lazy people who just don't pick their papers up and put them in the bin.

Ok the women was probably a real hoarder but the dude with the papers wasn't as that was just a lazy ass who never binned his papers and letters after reading them. :D
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is of course that if you have a clear out of "stuff," the day after something you've had gathering dust for years has "winged its way" in a refuse truck, you'll find you'll need it for something.
    As for whether hoarding, or any other idiosyncrasy is an "illness," if someone can make some money treating those who have it, it will be classed as that.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is of course that if you have a clear out of "stuff," the day after something you've had gathering dust for years has "winged its way" in a refuse truck, you'll find you'll need it for something.
    As for whether hoarding, or any other idiosyncrasy is an "illness," if someone can make some money treating those who have it, it will be classed as that.

I've moved house a few times in the last few years, and each time I've chucked out stuff which I've thought I wouldn't need again, or sometimes chucked out stuff accidentally.

Then a few weeks/months later I've searched for it, only to find it's gone forever.

At which point I have to buy another one, or, if that's not possible, shrug my shoulders and accept I'll have to do without it.

Either way, it's not a major tragedy.

Hoarders seem to think that they won't be able to exist without the mountains of rubbish they accumulate, they make family and neighbours' lives a misery, yet everyone tiptoes round them because they get upset if they have to part with a load of mouldy newspapers.

I can't understand why the spouses or adult children of these people aren't a bit more bracing with them and just told them the stuff was going. I'm sure mine would be, if I got even a fraction as bad as the people I've seen on TV recently!

I daresay this post makes me seem unsympathetic, but I do think there's a lot of self indulgence masquerading as illness these days, and some people are encouraging this state of affairs because they make money out of it.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah its a mental illness triggered by a trauma in someone's life, theses people are ill and need help.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more people make excuses and say it is an illness, the more people will have an excuse to live in filth and not clean up.
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    the difference between collectors and hoarders is that hoarders cant be arsed cleaning IMO
  • emily222emily222 Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    They need to have a wash and a tidy up and get the hell off my tv.

:D

• AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some, yes. I think it's a psychological illness.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's an illness in itself, but rather a symptom of mental illness in general.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doesnt capitalist society get the blame at all? always people with a mental ilness isnt it?
  • Nard DogNard Dog Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a whole drawerful of books on hoarding somewhere
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    emily222 wrote: »
    doesnt capitalist society get the blame at all? always people with a mental ilness isnt it?

You think our capitalist society is to blame for people who feel compelled to hoard teetering piles of old newspapers, rusty tin cans and takeaway cartons?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its def something wrong with western society where you can buy stuff for kingdom come, live out in a poor african village and you probably own one pot to cook from and three changes of clothes, thats what these people should think about and dump the lot

william morris: keep bothing in your house which is not either beautiful or practical
  • Beth HartBeth Hart Posts: 6,183
    Forum Member
    It is more a symptom of an illness, in the same way not everyone who loses a lot of weight is ill, not everyone who hoards a lot is ill but it is worth keeping an eye on.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    my dad was a hoarder and he genuinely thought the stuff he collected was useful

it wasnt it was just junk but he didnt see it that way

a bit like a anorexic thinks theyre fat when theyre 5 stone

its a mental illness
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obsessive behaviour, rather than hoarding, is symptomatic of an illness,
  • oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    Constable David Rathband is a genuine victim and, to categorise these muck middens as such, is disrespectful to him.

What a ridiculous thing to say. These are two completely different situations that just don't compare. Why not take it one further and say neither hoarders nor David Rathband are true, genuine victims in comparison to starving children in Africa?

Unless you genuinely think you're only allowed a monopoly on suffering if you've been shot in the face?

I don't particularly understand hoarders, and find it difficult to imagine how they get into their situation. Similarly, I don't fully understand the steps that lead people to self-harm, or starve themselves, or lose their fortune gambling, or smoke until they're 85.

However, just because I can't sympathise, doesn't mean I don't empathise. IMO, you'd do well to remember the difference between the two, and stop judging everyone else by your own clearly utopian standards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's an illness, because those pressed on the matter either can't see the problem or want to change but feel they can't.

It's very annoying to those who can't understand the desire to hoard. I remember a documentary on an old man (Mr Trebus, I think he was called) years ago who turned out to have been a victim of the Nazis, possibly in a concentration camp, in Poland. His loss and trauma caused him to hoard, or so the theory went. Poor old fella went out collecting rubbish and brought it home. His house was full of carrier bags to ceiling height. It was heartbreaking - he just couldn't see the need to change, even though he lived in squalor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have a house full of stuff, with no room to sit down at the worst point. My Mum was the opposite, very minimalist. She'd throw away gifts we were given if she thought they were too bulky, and I'd come home from school to find half the contents of my toybox gone with the binmen. She even threw out photos. From my entire childhood I managed to keep literally a handful of things. I think that's probably what made me want to keep everything, especially when my son came along. I finally found the solution of photographing things with a digital camera before parting ways with them, then I still have the memory safe.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    I agree OP - calling it an illness is just a way people can wash their hands of it.

It's also an insult to normal hoarders.
    I'm a hoarder - I always think things will come in handy one day, and they often do!
    That doesn't mean I have to tunnel through piles of my own feg to get to the front-door or whatever!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feg! What a word! I've never heard of it before but it sounds so right. I will be using it from now on. :D
  • humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I've seen hoarders, proper hoarders who claim they have no illness, are absolutely fine and need no help or intervention while maggots are crawling out of their handbag collection (three wardrobes...full).

To throw anything away hurts them, really distresses them. There's a big difference between a proper hoarder and a lazy arse that lives in filth. One can clean up but can't be bothered, one doesn't want to because of the distress letting anything go would cause them.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Seems to me a crucial factor as to whether it is an illness or not is is the person happy about their hoarding etc?

Now the chap I saw on one of these programmes last week ( the care worker who had been depressed since his partner died) seemed like a desperate rabbit in the headlights; he clearly was not happy with the situation. Hence I guess that could be called an illness or rather more accurately I think dysfunctional behaviour.

On the other hand I have a friend (indeed he is my oldest friend we go back 45 years) whose house is cluttered to the point that I no longer go to stay there. I am not the only one of our circle who has stopped visiting either so it not just me being too fussy.

But thing is he and his partner are deliriously happy amid the chaos. He has no wish to change it and he pleads no excuses for how it is so I guess it is just a different life style choice in his case.