Total Hip Replacement Op!

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
HI my partner has had a total hip operation, she has been out of hospital for 8 days now, she has massive bruising all down her hip to her ankle. she is walking partial weight bearing on crutches, as she cannot fully put all her weight on the hip for at least 6 weeks. due to the complications during surgery.
DO you know anyone who has had this op? how long was it before they were walking properly? and back to driving a car?
BUT most of all. as she has to sleep on her back all the time. she is depressed. with back pain. how long does this go on for?? nurses just say 6 weeks. thanks for advice.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recovery from a THR can be between 4 and 12 weeks depending on the patient.
  • kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    It all sounds quite a normal recovery, the bruising is normal. I know a few people who have had a total hip replacement and they are usually up and running in 6 weeks.

If she has to sleep on her back and it is causing pain, a small pillow under the knees can help.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kareena46 wrote: »
    It all sounds quite a normal recovery, the bruising is normal. I know a few people who have had a total hip replacement and they are usually up and running in 6 weeks.

If she has to sleep on her back and it is causing pain, a small pillow under the knees can help.

she does sleep with a pillow under the whole knee, and is still on morphine tablets.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HI my partner has had a total hip operation, she has been out of hospital for 8 days now, she has massive bruising all down her hip to her ankle. she is walking partial weight bearing on crutches, as she cannot fully put all her weight on the hip for at least 6 weeks. due to the complications during surgery.
    DO you know anyone who has had this op? how long was it before they were walking properly? and back to driving a car?
    BUT most of all. as she has to sleep on her back all the time. she is depressed. with back pain. how long does this go on for?? nurses just say 6 weeks. thanks for advice.

The last thing she wants to be is depressed, my mum had it done just over a year ago, yes it wasn't good at first but her life has changed much for the better now, no longer is she in agony with her hip, infact she has no pain whatsoever now and can easily walk and drive anywhere she wants (she's driven to the south of Spain and back twice since) the pain will get less and less as the days go by and it will be well worth it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH had it done back in January. For the first week home he insisted that if he knew how painful it was going to be he wouldn't have had it done. Then he decided to get mobile and took a few steps outside using 2 walking sticks and gradually increased the distance every day. I wasn't best pleased as we had a lot of compacted snow on the ground! But by the end of March he was climbing ladders to clean the windows! It's made a total difference to his life and now he has to slow down for me rather than the other way round.

As for driving. it's around 6 weeks. The hospital said we should advise the insurance co. but we didn't as we both agreed that he wouldn't attempt to drive before he got the Doctors OK at his 6 week check. He couldn't actually get in the car for about 4 weeks anyway.

I hope your partner will find it all worthwhile in the end.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a THR in May. I was out of Hospital three days later. During my time in Hospital I went through two tubes of Morphine (intravenously) and was on Tramadol. I'll be honest, the pain was terrible. On day two of my hospital stay I got up out of bed and promptly fainted because of the pain. BUT, after I came around I took a few steps and gradually I was walking around on two crutches and released on day three after walking up two flights of stairs. Slowly but surely. I had codeine and Tramadol (as well as nightly injections in my stomach, 30 in total!) and after six weeks I was back in work, walking unadied.

I did hammer the exercises they give you to do, though. I had three Physio sessions and I done the exercises at every opportunity I would which really did help my recovery. It's the best thing I ever did as it's given me my life back after so many years in constant pain. It's so nice to be tablet free and pain free.

I'm 33 by the way :)
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP my wife had it done, and it took a few weeks before she was OK again, but she thought it was well worth it. . A few poins:

Buy her a thing that will enable her to pick things up.

The socks they provide are far too tight, get some elasticated socks that are comfortable.

A chair will be needed that is possible to sit on to eat - will need to be quite a bit higher than normal - an adjustable office chair will be OK. We used the one we have at the PC.

You might need to install a handle on the bathroom wall to grab. The suction ones are OK, if you have glazed tiles, not if they are unglazed. (You can tell because unglazed ones if chipped are the same colour all through.)

Other people might also have some tips.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I had a THR in January 2007 aged 48. Came home after 7 days and went to stay with my sister for a few days. On the way to her place on day 8 post op I went to the White Rose Centre to do some shopping with her. Walked the full length of the place (with crutches) and have never looked back. Had no pain relief after discharge from hospital and was back home on my own 14 days after the op, looking after my five large, bouncy dogs. I was told not to drive for eight weeks but after four and a half I was going stir crazy so gve it a go and I was fine. Was back in full time work after 11 weeks. Total success!