Options

Why do some people enjoy horror films?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
I find them mentally disturbing and don't see what's enjoyable about jumping out your skin anytime something(usually a creep in a disturbing mask) pops out.

Any horror fans? Are you mad?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    It's proper Bo ah tell thee.:D

Reet-oh :D
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nat28 wrote: »
    Iv only seen the american version unfortunately

That's a pale imitation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reet-oh :D

Oh how we miss him!.:(
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got to see it.It really gets under your skin.

I didn't want to see it before reading/watching about one of the stories in the unexplained mysteries thread which was eerily similar (I won't spoil it). I definitely don't now
  • Options
    Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @ faggy ( it wont let me quote you for some reason ) sorry I missed reading that edition of the radio times , I was 9 :D
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy them, saying that I never actually jump whilst watching them.

I am the opposite, I can know that something is going to happen and I will still jump out of my skin when it does!

I still enjoy them though.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Does DigitalSpy attract exclusively human beings who are missing the brain ability to think in terms of other people?

Im serious. Everyday here we have "Why do some people like X". I just keep thinking to myself have none of you got the ability to leave your own body and imagine why someone would enjoy the X you are talking about. It boggles my mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't want to see it before reading/watching about one of the stories in the unexplained mysteries thread which was eerily similar (I won't spoil it). I definitely don't now

The Japs certainly know how to play with your mind.Like themselves,their movies are quite unlike us.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'other' Nightwatch (with Ewan McGregor) is a rarely shown very under-rated film.A real scary movie.

Havent seen it but ill have a look , thanks:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The spanish film 'rec' is good if you like jumping out your skin
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does DigitalSpy attract exclusively human beings who are missing the brain ability to think in terms of other people?

Im serious. Everyday here we have "Why do some people like X". I just keep thinking to myself have none of you got the ability to leave your own body and imagine why someone would enjoy the X you are talking about. It boggles my mind.

You really have to ask that question? Go take a look in Advice, there's somebody in there who doesn't know where to buy a simple plastic cup from and feels the need to enquire on an internet forum rather than you know, GOING TO A BLOODY SHOP.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I was never in to horror movies, but have started watching them more over the last year. I think I find them entertaining because they usually involve a non-ordinary premise, so I am intrigued as to how they will end.

I've recently watched 'You're Next' - a home invasion slasher horror. While it became a bit too much of a bloodbath, the story and the main female lead were interesting enough to carry my interest to the end.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    I find them mentally disturbing and don't see what's enjoyable about jumping out your skin anytime something(usually a creep in a disturbing mask) pops out.

Any horror fans? Are you mad?

So you don't like them, boo-hoo. Get off your high horse. Besides. Shouldn't this be in Movies?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'other' Nightwatch (with Ewan McGregor) is a rarely shown very under-rated film.A real scary movie.

is that where he works in a morgue?
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I love horror books and films, either clever, creepy, psychological thrillers or a cheesy gorefest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flavour wrote: »
    is that where he works in a morgue?

Yes.He's the night security guard.Thinks it'a cushty number whilst he studies.
    Little does he know,it's just the start of his problems.
    It doesn't get a good review.But I think it's a very good film indeed.:cool:
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just love to spend the night in a 'haunted house' by myself.

It's a win win for me as a Secular Humanist.

I do not for a second believe anything would happen but it would be scientifically interesting if something did! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do not for a second believe anything would happen but it would be scientifically interesting if something did! :D

I would love to think there is something after death. What a bleak prospect that you live then die and thats it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've only ever seen an unexplained event twice in my long lifetime.
    Once was on my own.Second time was with a workmate.
    It's for another thread.But I firmly believe there really is more to life than black and white.:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    I would love to think there is something after death. What a bleak prospect that you live then die and thats it.

Nope, that's your lot, I'm afraid.

All you can hope for is that you leave (good) memories behind.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's why I enjoy horror so much, it's an escape from the grim reality of the Lean Mean Gene Machine of Nature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only ever seen an unexplained event twice in my long lifetime.
    Once was on my own.Second time was with a workmate.
    It's for another thread.But I firmly believe there really is more to life than black and white.:cool:

Spill :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traditional gothic horror is something of an art form, but people who genuinely enjoy genuinely sick films such as Hostel, etc, should probably seek psychiatric treatment.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traditional gothic horror is something of an art form, but people who genuinely enjoy genuinely sick films such as Hostel, etc, should probably seek psychiatric help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spill :)

No,i'll leave it or another day.I'll just say not everything you see is explainable.And I used to laugh at such stories.:blush:

PS.I've got the X Files on in the background.'The truth is out there'.Woo woo woo woo woo woo!.:D