Options

Foxsat-HDR Bugs Thread [Merged]

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well I only have one so far relating to viewing a 4:3 program.

Via HDMI I have to manually set the aspect ratio using the "Wide" key on the remote to select 4:3 pillar box.

The "Auto" option gives me the same stretched image as "Anamorphic".

Aspect ratio via scart interface is okay.

Automan.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    What is the PQ difference between HDMI and Scart?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of the possible bug with Wide..
    Watching a recording of Winchester 73 via HDMI and as I mentioned to get the movie to display correctly I have to set the mode 4:3 Pillar Box.

What is then odd is during the adverts the image changes to 16:9 wide and then back to 4:3

This in in 720p mode should it make any difference - will have to play more to confirm.

Just testing with 1080i and I get the same results....

Automan.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I asked you the question in the other thread before you started this 'bug' one was because....

The options you have now found in the menus were also added to the Foxsat HD in one of the software releases, the notes that accompanied that release were:

Auto
    4:3 pillar box
    14:9 Pillar box
    16:9 Centre Cut Out
    Anamorphic
    Note: Auto option will display picture format correctly if the TV (HDMI connection) set supports AVInfo frame
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why do I get widescreen switching when I have it set to 4:3 Pillar Box?

This seems to give me what I would expect from Auto.

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one is more of an observation...

Seems both the Foxsat HD and Foxsat HDR products use the same remote control IR codes.

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I find that scolling to select a program can be slow (slight delay)

The remote is quite directional

Green screen occasionally at power-up. Don't no if there is a power up sequence that avoids this.

Posted in another thread but thought it more appropriate to put it here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    On first power-up mine asked if I wanted to upgrade to version 1.00.02 but selecting yes resulted in a E-05 error code and a reboot. Same thing doing an update from the menu.

Also when selecting the guide it takes an age for the current channel to restart in the background.

Other than that well chuffed :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Automan wrote: »
    So why do I get widescreen switching when I have it set to 4:3 Pillar Box?

This seems to give me what I would expect from Auto.

I believe that in 'Auto' mode it is intended that your TV will do the switching. The other modes are for the Foxsat to do the switching (between widescreen and whichever mode has been chosen).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CanonMan wrote: »
    Green screen occasionally at power-up. Don't no if there is a power up sequence that avoids this.

It is disappointing that this is the same as on the Foxsat-HD. I find myself having to switch the TV off/on quite a lot to get round this, and I don't think it's good for my power supply. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you actually switch the TV off or just put it in and out of standby. Don't know if makes any difference switching to the HDMi input before or after powering the recorder on.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Aspect ratio and HDMI is an ongoing nightmare. All HD resolutions are 16:9 by definition, so any TV must assume that this is a 16:9 picture. The broadcasters should set an aspect flag for 576 res, if they don't, it's not Humax's fault of the box doesn't switch aspects. So inorder to stand any chance, you need to be in 576 resolution, and even then it's only really going to work on proper channerls, like the Beeb, where some of the engineers actually care about this stuff.
  • Options
    carvellcarvell Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my (Panasonic) TV, if you set it to 4:3 it'll be in 4:3 all the time, unless the 16:9 flag is set in which case it sets itself to 16:9. This results in it always being in the correct aspect for whatever's on.

From posts above, it sounds like it's the same kind of deal with the PVR?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Firstly, what an excellent box...well done humax.

I have connected the box via optical to a sony receiver. The volume control changes the volume (within the foxsat) as it should on non-HD transmissions. But any dolby digital output e.g. BBC HD/Luxe HD, the volume cannot be adjusted except for on or off when increasing/decreasing the volume scale.

This can be overcome by changing the volume on the receiver (using the humax remote if you so wish).

OK if you know what to do but and what transmissions/channels are affected but for the 'rest of the family' the idea of pressing..Audio ---> Volume adjust ---> TV ....buttons on the Humax remote each time is not very convenient. :confused: (May lead to divorce!)

But....one hell of a box !!! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To put things into some perspective, just go to the sky hd forum and most of the posts there are about much bigger problems with the sky hardware to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you actually switch the TV off or just put it in and out of standby. Don't know if makes any difference switching to the HDMi input before or after powering the recorder on.
    Well I just go in and out of standby but that still strains the power supply and circuits I think. I've tried different orders of doing things but can't see a pattern - it seems to occur fairly randomly. It's not a biggy but I was kinda hoping it'd be fixed in the HDR.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Subtitle Synchronisation
    Just playing back while recording "A Touch Of Frost" and the subtitles are about 10/15 seconds in front of what is actually being spoken :(

Granted it could be a one off or a Humax issue....

Otherwise all seems well :)

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    mjvolante wrote: »
    But any dolby digital output e.g. BBC HD/Luxe HD, the volume cannot be adjusted except for on or off when increasing/decreasing the volume scale
    The volume of a Dolby bitstream cannot be adjusted without first decoding it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On page GB58 of the manual it shows delete in the menu with the "Play Options"

I see no such option....

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Press the media button while not playing anything. Select the item you want to delete. Then press the OK button. You are then presented with a list that includes a delete a file option
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I have found why the remote is so directional off axis. If you pull down the front flat and look at the inside of the flap you will see a round aperture next to the display window. This is for the IR sensor to look out. The sensor itself looks quite deeply seated in the machine as it is behind another window. With the flap up when you aim the remote off axis it doesn't quite catch the sensor. I have checked this with the flap open and off-axis seems better
  • Options
    suffolktoonsuffolktoon Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main problem I've come across so far with mine is it is probably stuck in a warehouse somewhere or not even built. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main problem I've come across so far with mine is it is probably stuck in a warehouse somewhere or not even built. :mad:

Bob is currently soldering away on yours in his shed and will finish it this coming Thursday, be patient ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press the media button while not playing anything. Select the item you want to delete. Then press the OK button. You are then presented with a list that includes a delete a file option

The delete option was missing from that menu also the thumbnail icons just showed a symbol rather than a scene from the recording.

This morning I have turned the unit on and I now have the delete option in the menu and thumbnails...

So now I can delete...

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    taken from Graham posting on series recording thread for Humax info....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Automan
    1st Recording Failure...
    I had the unit set to record a movie 18:30 - 20:00
    The Champions 18:00 - 19:00
    Doctor Who 19:00 - 19:45

At about 19:00 while playing back "The Champions" it popped up with a conflict message that these three items clashed.

I let it do its thing and it aborted the recording of the movie...

I assume this was either because The Champions was running late or Doctor Who started early?

Automan.

I'm pretty certain that if this had been a Sky box it would have done the following:

1) The Champions (18:00 start) - Recorded OK
    2) The Movie (18:30 start) - Recorded OK
    3) Dr Who (19:00 start) - Delayed start but most of programme recorded although status would show as "Clashed, Start Missed".

Conclusion: Potentially only the start of Dr Who missed.
    If the Humax cancelled a programme (in this case the movie) then clearly the logic is not as good as a Sky box .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Automan wrote: »

This morning I have turned the unit on and I now have the delete option in the menu and thumbnails...

I was wondering about the icons as well. So you can see thumbnail images now and not just the icons? Haven't tried today yet. Is that some sort of overnight indexing thing I wonder?