Why doesn't Front line work anymore?

Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My dog has fleas :D
I put Frontline on her 3 weeks ago, didn't work, 3 days later I put another pipet on her. 24 hours later bathed her in flea shampoo, went through with a nit comb, got rid of loads of eggs & fleas. She is a long haired dog, so a nightmare.
Sprayed her with Bob martin pet & house flea spray.
Still keep seeing random ones wondering about on her!
Help, I dont know what else to do :confused:

Comments

• dropoutdropout Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno I dont have a sh1tmachine.:D
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dropout wrote: »

Haha very sensible! :D
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have evolved resistance.

*fleas before the creationists arrive*
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you return the mutt? Did you keep the receipt? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    They have evolved resistance.

*fleas before the creationists arrive*

It does seem that way. So what's the alternative now? I can get some Advantage off eBay, which the Americans seem to be recommending when I google. But it would be nice if there was something in the Uk. I dont want to take her to the vets because it's about £30 just to walk in the door!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dylan99 wrote: »
    Can you return the mutt? Did you keep the receipt? :p

I think i'm out of guarantee, I have had her over 3 years now lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    How would you like it if someone called you a shitmachine?
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Sounds like your dog has a severe infection that will need the attention of a vet, its also a bit pointless in treating your animal and washing of the treatment before it has a chance to get into the bloodstream and you need to treat the whole house including the furnishings and the dogs bed etc as the fleas come from the house to the dog and not the other way around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    Sounds like your dog has a severe infection that will need the attention of a vet, its also a bit pointless in treating your animal and washing of the treatment before it has a chance to get into the bloodstream and you need to treat the whole house including the furnishings and the dogs bed etc as the fleas come from the house to the dog and not the other way around.

Well excuse me for reading the leaflet where it says wait 24 hours before bathing :D
    I did everything it said to do. Front line on the wednesday, supposed to work by 24 hours. on the friday afternoon still fleas, put another lot of Frontline on, fleas still active saturday afternoon. So dose number 1 had been on 3 days.
    Bear in mind I have had animals for years & not had a problem before.
    And I already said I treated the furnishings with spray.
    Front line is supposed to work for 2 months? In which case even if there were fleas all over the house, within 24 hours of pouncing on the dog, they would be dead.
    Which leads me to assume Front line isn't working.
    Anyone got any constructive advice, pretty pleeeease?
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frontline does work very well.

You need to spray ALL your furnishings, including you beds etc, the animal beddings and hoover twice a day for at least a week to be rid of them properly.

My cats recently got fleas after over 5yrs without them and I put 1 pipet of FL on each cat (4) then did the above actions. Touchwood, the fleas are now gone and things are back to normal.

Also, make sure you put the FL on the dogs skin at the base of the skull and about 1inch further down. It MUST go on the skin and not the fur.

As a previous poster said, it sounds like you may have an infestation and a vet will sort it. plus get some "flea bombs" for your property.

Also, try Frontline Combo. This is only available at a vet and not available over the counter like the original FL.
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    1. Spend the money and get professional advice

Or

2. Keep getting all sorts of 'hilarious' and unwanted advice on here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    Frontline does work. You need to spray ALL your furnishings, including you beds etc, the animal beddings and hoover twice a day for at least a week to be rid of them properly.

My cats recently got fleas after over 5yrs without them and I put 1 pipet of FL on each cat (4) then did the above actions. Touchwood, the fleas are now gone and things are back to normal.

Also, make sure you put the FL on the dogs skin at the base of the skull and about 1inch furter down. it MUST go on the skin and not the fur.

As a previous poster said, it sounds like you may have an infestation and a vet will sort it. plus get some "flea bombs" for your property.

Yep, always put it in the right place on back of neck.
    Sprayed all the furnishings, as in cushions, although I dont have carpets downstairs anyway. Flea bombs? What's those?
    To be honest it has got to the stage where I am thinking maybe I should shave all her hair off. She'll be cold though wont she :cry: why didn't this happen in the summer!
    Surely Front line should be able to deal with an 'infestation'? If it cant, what can??
    I expect people have visions of loads of them scurrying around. What I mean by fleas is she has 2 or 3 running about on her. The majority have gone, when I went through with the nit comb. But that's all it takes isn't it, 2 or 3!
    I take those 2 or 3 off her, yet a day or so later there is another 2 or 3!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's Frontline combo & how much is it?
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sprayed all the furnishings, as in cushions, although I dont have carpets downstairs anyway.

It doesn't matter if you don't have carpets. fleas don't need just carpets.

Flea bombs spray an entire room with insecticide. Be careful though before you use them. check it out first.

@constant PMT - Frontline combo is a new FL that kills extra things like biting lice. Around the same price of FL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if you don't have carpets. fleas don't need just carpets.

Flea bombs spray an entire room with insecticide. Be careful though before you use them. check it out first.

@constant PMT - Frontline combo is a new FL that kills extra things like biting lice. Around the same price of FL.

Is that only from the vets?
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can yo unot just buy a flea treatment at the vets? We get advocate for £10 a month and that does worms too. Never had to see a vet for it, it's just the nurse who weighs him and that is free. Even if you have to pay £30 better that than letting the fleas stay! The little f*ckers will lay eggs and they can lie dormant for months so they will all start hatching again some time if you don't sort it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can yo unot just buy a flea treatment at the vets? We get advocate for £10 a month and that does worms too. Never had to see a vet for it, it's just the nurse who weighs him and that is free. Even if you have to pay £30 better that than letting the fleas stay! The little f*ckers will lay eggs and they can lie dormant for months so they will all start hatching again some time if you don't sort it.
    It's over £30 just to walk in the door, that's before any treatment, so I guess I was hoping someone would let me in on another treatment I could buy. Looks like i'll have to visit the vet.
    I love my dog to bits & wouldn't be without her now, but I wouldn't recommend getting one to anybody. Unless they dont have anything else to shell out for! lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    They are probably in the carpets and bedding in your house seeing as its winter they move indoors for the luxury .Thats where they live - they only jump on the dog for a feed and then go home to the carpet ..Get some flea spray for your house furnishings
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are probably in the carpets and bedding in your house seeing as its winter they move indoors for the luxury .

Do they? Oh. Didn't know that. Explains why it didn't happen in the summer. Bit like spiders then!
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's over £30 just to walk in the door, that's before any treatment, so I guess I was hoping someone would let me in on another treatment I could buy. Looks like i'll have to visit the vet.
    I love my dog to bits & wouldn't be without her now, but I wouldn't recommend getting one to anybody. Unless they dont have anything else to shell out for! lol

See if you can get Advocate online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See if you can get Advocate online.

There isn't any on eBay, but i'll have a look elsewhere, cheers x
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I wouldn't put anything other treatments on your dog without getting advice from your vet first. Frontline, Advocate etc have pretty potent chemicals in them, and I would be concerned that overuse could be harmful.

I would have thought that the vet's receptionist should be able advise you re flea treatments - the best ones to use and the frequency, thus saving you a consultation fee. Indorex spray should be used in the house. I was told by my vet that if you see a single flea, that means you have an infestation, and with modern central heating it is now unfortunately a year long problem.

Good luck.
  • dropoutdropout Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    How would you like it if someone called you a shitmachine?

Nobody has to follow me around with a poop scoop.
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frontline failed on my cats, and so did Advantage. We also hit the house with Acclaim. All from the vets. Didn't kill. the gits. They won't die.

The fleas, not the cats.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Nobody has to follow me around with a poop scoop.
    Well just wait until you're old and crippled and I'll be the first one to visit you watching the nurse wipe your bum and call you a shit machine. :D