Options

Taliban accused of gas attacks on girls high schools in Kabul

ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
Forum Member
(excerpt)

'The Taliban Mystery Gas
by James Dunnigan
September 10, 2010

On August 25th, for the eighth time this year, students and staff at a girls high school were injured by some kind of poison gas. In the latest incident, nine teachers and 46 students were hospitalized. They were all dizzy, and a few were unconscious. But there did not appear to be any permanent damage. The first of these attacks occurred last year, and there have been eleven so far. Blood tests do not indicate what the poison agent could be. American chemical weapons experts were involved in some of the investigations, but have not announced any findings. There have been suggestions that this might be some kind of mass hysteria, but since it also involves adults as well, and all tell the same story of smelling something strange before falling, the hysteria angle is unlikely.

Most doctors at the hospitals agree that it was some kind of poison, but have not been able to identify it yet. All the victims smelled something odd while at school, then fell ill, with some of the students and teachers losing consciousness. The Taliban have been known to attack girls schools, including injuring or killing students with gunfire, explosives and, in at least one case, acid thrown into the faces of students. Now it appears that poison gas has been added to the Taliban arsenal.'

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/The-Taliban-Mystery-Gas-9-10-2010.asp

Comments

• Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    The British article from Firstpost.co.uk is much more thorough:

(excerpt)

'A girls' school in Kabul appears to be the latest to be targeted by the Taliban in a suspected gas poisoning attack. At least 46 students and nine teachers from Totia high school in Afghanistan’s capital were taken to hospital following the incident on Wednesday morning .

As reported on The First Post, the Taliban is suspected of previous poisoning attacks on girls’ schools as part of its drive to prevent females being educated.

In June, 20 students were taken to hospital after falling ill - with suspected poisoning - in the northern Sar-e-Pul province. Other intimidation techniques used by the Taliban - who banned girls' education when they were in power between 1996 and 2001 - include dropping off threatening letters and propaganda to students' homes.

In the latest incident, up to 18 people slumped to the ground unconscious as hundreds of others - mostly students aged between 16 and 18 - tried to flee their classrooms. Doctors said some of those taken to hospital remained unconscious for several hours, while others were vomiting and suffering from severe nausea.

An official at Kabul's education ministry, Mohammad Asif Nang, blamed "the enemies of women's education" for the "apparent poisoning" attack.'

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/67768,news-comment,news-politics,taliban-accused-of-gas-attack-on-girls-school?lost=1
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least across the Maroc they can blame it on the chickpeas.
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh those "brave" Taliban warriors "fearlessly" attacking school girls.

I'm not sure which comes over more - their cowardice or their shocking inhuman carelessness for their own people.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be divine justice if one of those brave girls survived the cowardly attacks to get the education she deserved, and eventually ended up ruling the country.
  • Options
    tulvingtulving Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a very sad state of affairs
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well what would you expect from a bunch of nutters who see women as second class slaves.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dispicable act from a bunch of whackos.
  • Options
    ClickNeggClickNegg Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shouldn't we just leave them to get on with it? is it our business?
  • Options
    GwrxVurferGwrxVurfer Posts: 5,359
    Forum Member
    elfcurry wrote: »
    Ooh those "brave" Taliban warriors "fearlessly" attacking school girls.

Any weaker than the "brave" US warriors, "fearlessly" killing Taliban soldiers and citizens while sat safely at a computer screen, hundreds of miles from the front line?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClickNegg wrote: »
    shouldn't we just leave them to get on with it? is it our business?

Imo yes but that doesn't mean you can't condemn it.
  • Options
    PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    I was just about to post

"how long till Gwrx gets here and starts his terrorist apologetics"

Looks like he beat me to it.

PS: There's no such thing as Taliban Civilians. The Taliban is not a country so it has no citizens; it is an armed insurrection and so all members are enemy combatants.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we sure that it was actually poison. As opposed to a combination of events? Tear gas in an enclosed space will produce a similar effect if the person is unable to leave the area. The same sort of reaction occurs is you use potassium chlorate. (The stuff you find in smoke grenades). Combine that with the age and weight of the affected people. The indoor location. Other factors like if they regularly eat. And there's more to it than just a poison gas attack.

The article states that the usual tactic is threatening letters and propaganda. That suggests intimidation is the aim rather than killing. Coupled with the fact that no poison was found. I'd go with the theory that somebody chucked a crude smoke bomb through the window to frighten those inside and it had adverse effects. As opposed to the Taliban are using chemical weapons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Imo yes but that doesn't mean you can't condemn it.

I'm playing devils advocate. I would absolutely condemn it but i also want to see them in the world of pain they deserve for doing it. How else do we stop this sh*t from going on if we're not there? The UN? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    Are we sure that it was actually poison. As opposed to a combination of events? Tear gas in an enclosed space will produce a similar effect if the person is unable to leave the area. The same sort of reaction occurs is you use potassium chlorate. (The stuff you find in smoke grenades). Combine that with the age and weight of the affected people. The indoor location. Other factors like if they regularly eat. And there's more to it than just a poison gas attack.

The article states that the usual tactic is threatening letters and propaganda. That suggests intimidation is the aim rather than killing. Coupled with the fact that no poison was found. I'd go with the theory that somebody chucked a crude smoke bomb through the window to frighten those inside and it had adverse effects. As opposed to the Taliban are using chemical weapons.

Even if your theory is true it doesn't change the end result or the fact they see educating girls as a practice that shouldn't be undertaken and they would discontinue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm playing devils advocate. I would absolutely condemn it but i also want to see them in the world of pain they deserve for doing it. How else do we stop this sh*t from going on if we're not there? The UN? :(

And do we draw up a list of 'acceptable behaviour' for all nations and then roll in there if they fail to meet our standards. Its a thorny issue when you start down that road.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »

Oh well that's all right then. I mean it's not as if those nice Taliban people were trying to terrify them or anything. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    GwrxVurferGwrxVurfer Posts: 5,359
    Forum Member
    PoliticoRN wrote: »
    how long till Gwrx gets here and starts his terrorist apologetics

I am not a terrorist apologist. I have various parameters for what I define as a right or wrong action, and I apply those standards across the board to determine whether I agree or disagree with a certain action. It's a redundant argument to call me a "terrorist apologist" simply because I point out that the US army do something that the Taliban also does (stay out of the line of fire and fight from a safe range).

If the article is true, I condemn the attack. In a war, one side should only fight the opposing sides soldiers. In the Taliban's case, the enemy combatants are the British Army.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

After 9 years of being there we haven't stopped it and the government of Afghanistan even passed a law allowing men to demand their wives have sex with them. Imo we should withdraw and stopping shit from going on would take us into countless countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 9 years of being there we haven't stopped it andthe government of Afghanistan even passed a law allowing men to demand their wives have sex with them. Imo we should withdraw and stopping shit from going on would take us into countless countries.

True. And whats that law about? Is it a common Sharia Law thing or is it an Afghan thing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. And whats that law about? Is it a common Sharia Law thing or is it an Afghan thing?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8204207.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm, not sure thats what our fight to bring freedom is meant to about.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Oh well that's all right then. I mean it's not as if those nice Taliban people were trying to terrify them or anything. :rolleyes:

Show me where in my post I was condoning this.

I'm not. I'm pointing out that what gets reported isn't necessarily what happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Hmmm, not sure thats what our fight to bring freedom is meant to about.

No it most certainly isn't though I thought our reason for being there is security not to ensure Aghan girls get an education or Afghan women aren't forced to have sex with their husbands whenever they want them to.

Basically we seem unable to bring the whole sorry exercise to an end without some semblance of a dignified exit claiming we have achieved our goal whatever that was.