Replace glass with plastic

2»

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I agree completely. Not only is glass far more environmentally friendly, but drinks taste much better when they come in proper glass bottles - Coke for example. It also looks better - a little style, people!

Christ, are we really so pathetic these days that we need protecting from ourselves in every possible way?

My milk comes in glass bottles and it tastes a lot nicer than the stuff that comes in plastic bottles, but then that could also be because it comes from a local farm and dairy.

I am not really into this environment stuff, I don't recycle or do that sort of stuff, but if this country was that bothered about the environment, then it would cut back on plastic full stop, but it don't, instead they just produce even more of it.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I say, we need uniformity across the country. We have 3 bins but we have to pay an extra £25 pounds for our garden waste to be collected. On top of this the council expect us to wash all of our tins and glass jars. They have also started to poke around the recycle bin to check there are no contaminating items in there. This is absolutely ridiculous as the bins are about 4 feet deep so there is no way of knowing what may be lurking at the bottom. I watched a binman checking my neighbours bin a couple of weeks ago and obviously found something that shouldn't have been there and refused to empty it. In the meantime his rummaging caused all sorts of packaging to be blown about the street and land in the neighbouring gardens. Needless to say he didn't pick it up.:mad:

They shouldn't assume that everything in your bin was put there by you, I have on many occasions had other people put stuff in my wheelie bin.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They shouldn't assume that everything in your bin was put there by you, I have on many occasions had other people put stuff in my wheelie bin.

Your bin outside your house so its reasonable for them to believe its your rubbish :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I've seen that happen as well.
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Your bin outside your house so its reasonable for them to believe its your rubbish :rolleyes:

Why? Bins are put out in the evening for next day collection which can be anywhere between 7.30 and 10.30 where I live. How can you ensure nobody will put their rubbish in your bin?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they can't put anything in my bin, for a start I don't have one and my black bag is not put outside the gate until the morning that it is picked up, which will be today, as I go to work I will stick it by my gate. Not even half a flipping bag and that is without recycling.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,590
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was having a discussion on Saturday night about why you can get cider in 2l plastic bottles but not lager/beer.

Apparently on the continent you can.

You do get Beer/Lager in plastic bottles at sports grounds/events if they don't serve draught in the UK tends to be more 500ml bottles rather than 2l.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    You do get Beer/Lager in plastic bottles at sports grounds/events if they don't serve draught in the UK tends to be more 500ml bottles rather than 2l.
    It was my mate I was speaking to just last Saturday night and he goes on hols to Spain a lot and he said you can get 2l plastic bottles of lager just like you would cider.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I've seen that happen as well.

Why? Bins are put out in the evening for next day collection which can be anywhere between 7.30 and 10.30 where I live. How can you ensure nobody will put their rubbish in your bin?:confused:

Are you serious? My answer was aimed at the ludicrous statement that bin men should not assume that rubbish in your bin is only yours..clear with that part? Now, row of houses, bins outside each house..got that bit? Logically your rubbish would be in your bin..OK with that. This next bit is guess work on my part I'll admit but bear with me. I'd say its statistically highly probable that stuff in your bin is your rubbish and the bin men with this bit of maths on their side are right to assume its contents are yours...hows that for you?

Thats not to say on a minuscule number of occasions some rascal doesn't add to a bin but in the real world considering the millions of bins emptied it unlikely to make any impact on you. :rolleyes:
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Are you serious? My answer was aimed at the ludicrous statement that bin men should not assume that rubbish in your bin is only yours..clear with that part? Now, row of houses, bins outside each house..got that bit? Logically your rubbish would be in your bin..OK with that. This next bit is guess work on my part I'll admit but bear with me. I'd say its statistically highly probable that stuff in your bin is your rubbish and the bin men with this bit of maths on their side are right to assume its contents are yours...hows that for you?

Thats not to say on a minuscule number of occasions some rascal doesn't add to a bin but in the real world considering the millions of bins emptied it unlikely to make any impact on you. :rolleyes:

Not everyone lives in a house. I live in a flat (above a shop), I keep my bin near to my door to ensure that passers-by do not put their stuff in my bin; the bin-men come at about 6am on Mondays, so at about 11pm on Sunday nights I push the bin across the car parking space (roughly the length of two cars, the bin-men will not walk that distance to empty it, oh & it gets littered with other peoples' rubbish), & place it next to the alleyway that connects one road to another, which is used by many people to cut through, I move it back at about 9am. As I said, I keep it near to my door, which is right next to my next-door neighbour's door, & whilst my present neighbour is fine, my previous neighbour used to have drunken all night parties & his mates put their empty beer cans in my wheelie bin.

You must live in some sort of perfect world - how nice for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not everyone lives in a house. I live in a flat (above a shop), I keep my bin near to my door to ensure that passers-by do not put their stuff in my bin; the bin-men come at about 6am on Mondays, so at about 11pm on Sunday nights I push the bin across the car parking space (roughly the length of two cars, the bin-men will not walk that distance to empty it, oh & it gets littered with other peoples' rubbish), & place it next to the alleyway that connects one road to another, which is used by many people to cut through, I move it back at about 9am. As I said, I keep it near to my door, which is right next to my next-door neighbour's door, & whilst my present neighbour is fine, my previous neighbour used to have drunken all night parties & his mates put their empty beer cans in my wheelie bin.

Pretty good actually, detached four bedroom farmhouse, 18th century with land in Wales and a place on Gran Canaria, both are rather nice. But I've lived all over the place and I think your being a tad pedantic in your reply, your not representative (in terms of rubbish being dumped in bins) of what happens to the vast majority of folk.

Main problem for me is the poor old bin men and postie have a job getting to me after heavy snow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Our binmen will not put their hand over the gate to pick up a bag, which is why I now put my rubbish out on the morning it is being collected. I used to leave it on the inside of my gate, but a few weeks back they left it and the week after that they left it.
    I put both bags outside the following week and it was collected. they may have thought that it was not rubbish, but i doubt it.

I notice they are leaving stuff that they used to collect now, down the road when I came home from work, I noticed some cardboard that someone had folded up and put in a recycling bag was left, i thought cardboard could be recycled.
    We paying more for services this year and yet getting less for it. some time this year they are going to start collecting rubbish once a fortnight, I thought the government stopped that, but then since most of the times it is tories council that is doing that, I doubt it will be stopped.

Makes no odds to me, I can make a black bag last for two weeks, not sure what the people opposite is going to do as they put out 4-5 bags a week and their neighbours do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Our binmen will not put their hand over the gate to pick up a bag, which is why I now put my rubbish out on the morning it is being collected. I used to leave it on the inside of my gate, but a few weeks back they left it and the week after that they left it.
    I put both bags outside the following week and it was collected. they may have thought that it was not rubbish, but i doubt it.

I notice they are leaving stuff that they used to collect now, down the road when I came home from work, I noticed some cardboard that someone had folded up and put in a recycling bag was left, i thought cardboard could be recycled.
    We paying more for services this year and yet getting less for it. some time this year they are going to start collecting rubbish once a fortnight, I thought the government stopped that, but then since most of the times it is tories council that is doing that, I doubt it will be stopped.

Makes no odds to me, I can make a black bag last for two weeks, not sure what the people opposite is going to do as they put out 4-5 bags a week and their neighbours do.

It varies from council to council. Some want people to sort into 2 bins and others up to 7 bins, some recycle things other councils wont. This is why I think we need uniformity and a big overhaul of the packaging producers use. I checked on my council web site and the detailed recycling instructions download ran to 10 pages. Crazy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It varies from council to council. Some want people to sort into 2 bins and others up to 7 bins, some recycle things other councils wont. This is why I think we need uniformity and a big overhaul of the packaging producers use. I checked on my council web site and the detailed recycling instructions download ran to 10 pages. Crazy!

Ours do take cardboard, it say so on the bag I got and also the leaflet they love to post in my letter box now and again, with Do you want a wheeled bin as your property is suitable. Yeah, suitable with steps, what planet are they on?

Anyway they will accept for recycling

Paper, card, tins, plastic and glass if you got a wheeled bin. Maybe the card was too thick, but they don't state a thickness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Ours do take cardboard, it say so on the bag I got and also the leaflet they love to post in my letter box now and again, with Do you want a wheeled bin as your property is suitable. Yeah, suitable with steps, what planet are they on?

Anyway they will accept for recycling

Paper, card, tins, plastic and glass if you got a wheeled bin. Maybe the card was too thick, but they don't state a thickness.

Exactly. Our council say they will not empty bins if they are "too heavy" What the hell is too heavy? At my age, half full is too heavy for me !
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a reason why alcohol is usually put in glass bottles. Plastic lets oxygen pass through and that can alter wine, beer or spirits. You can find cheap stuff sold in plastic bottles. Glass preserves it better.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glass should be replaced with plastic; today I bought a bottle of vodka along with the rest of my shopping at Tesco, and when I arrived home, I put the bag down on my doorstep, & it fell off & smashed & all the vodka was wasted, it was a Tesco value bottle, so maybe if it was Smirnoff or something like that then the glass would be better quality & not have broken, but one thing's for sure - plastic would not have broken.

Be more careful next time. Glass is much better for the environment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Our council say they will not empty bins if they are "too heavy" What the hell is too heavy? At my age, half full is too heavy for me !

Oh yes, we got the same thing, something about the bag being able to fit into a cylinder of a certain size, I presume it is the size of a normal dustbin, not weight a certain amount. I can understand about the weight mind you.

My rubbish have just been collected this minute, just heard the truck outside.

Again, I got half a black bag of rubbish and that is without recycling. Maybe i should just put it out every couple of weeks, got to get in practice.
  • Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    There's a reason why alcohol is usually put in glass bottles. Plastic lets oxygen pass through and that can alter wine, beer or spirits. You can find cheap stuff sold in plastic bottles. Glass preserves it better.

Fully agree. Drinks taste much better out of a glass bottle. Good quality soft drinks (i.e. Lorina lemonade ) do not come in cheap & nasty plastic.