Bye bye Gideon

13»

Comments

• MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Given George Osborne's current predicament I am reminded of this episode of the Keiser report on Russia today from last November - watch 3 mins in and their references to George Osborne. Its absolutely hilarious - Tory, Labour, Lib Dem or Green will find it amusing. You would never see anything like this on the BBC or Sky News!:D

Could Keiser's predictions be coming true?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkDMy-6x69g
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »

Having followed a bewildering array of links I can find nothing credible to suggest that Ken has found some magic avoidance lodestone that enables him to only pay 14.5% tax.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The key quote from the Forbes article is this:
    I should point out that absolutely nothing that I am about to say has been done is illegal: it is most certainly not tax evasion. I would not even put it into the class of tax avoidance. This is the entirely legitimate exercise of the right of all Englishmen to organise their affairs so as to reduce the depredations of the Treasury upon their wallets. Indeed, I would go further and insist that given what the tax collected is wasted upon it is everyone’s duty to reduce the amount sent to the Treasury to be so wasted.

Also Ken is over 65 so doesn't have to pay employee's NI. He's fiddled nothing. He hasn't evaded tax, he hasn't even avoided it. He's done what thousands of people running service companies do, quite legally.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »

Also Ken is over 65 so doesn't have to pay employee's NI. He's fiddled nothing. He hasn't evaded tax, he hasn't even avoided it. He's done what thousands of people running service companies do, quite legally.

The issue has never been that Ken has done anything illegal or dodgy - merely that he publicly criticised others for using such schemes. That's the issue - its the apparent hypocrisy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The issue has never been that Ken has done anything illegal or dodgy - merely that he publicly criticised others for using such schemes. That's the issue - its the apparent hypocrisy!

But has he, or has he just criticised those who use what Gideon himself calls "aggressive" tax avoidance schemes?

Or would he be a hypocrite if he even avoided tax by putting money into a private pension.? Or by claiming his age related tax allowance?
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gideon? I thought Mr Osborne either changed his name or prefers 'George'. Are you using the Gideon name is a way that is a personal attack?

I would call him Gideon in polite company, My mother and father in-law for instance, as they are both Tory voters and excusers, and I know that the man himself doesn't like it, and neither do some of his supporters,

The name/s I use for him when in not quite so 'polite company' My close friends etc, would almost certainly get me a ban from these forums if I used them here,
    and they most certainly ARE meant as a "personal attack"
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Well on the polling site report it indicates if an election was tomorrow that labour would be in there and back in the zone. As for the Tories and liberals they are getting worse and I do not see any sign of a let up as they just seem to care about their rich city pals. :(

Like I say many a time the coalition have plenty of style but zero in the way of substance. Fact. :(
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »

I'm not sure that whether you are being deliberately obtuse or not but the issue is not whether Ken has behaved legally or not (he has), it is his criticism of others who use exactly the same schemes as him to reduce their tax bills that is of concern.

In Kens own words:
    “THESE rich bastards just don't get it…No one should be allowed to vote in a British election, let alone sit in our Parliament, unless they are paying their full share of tax.

Cameron's problem is too many of his team have become super rich by exploiting every tax fiddle. Given he is surrounded by so many millionaires in the shadow cabinet it's not surprising their tax policies aim to reward the rich and screw the rest of us…

"If Brown wants to get re-elected he should promise to sweep away all the tax scams and everybody should pay tax at the same rate on their earnings and all other income."

Ken is being a hypocrite pure and simple - and he doesn't like it now he has been caught out. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ken is being a hypocrite pure and simple - and he doesn't like it now he has been caught out. :D
    Ken's own words being "super rich". No-one got "super rich" using a limited company to channel their earnings through because you can't get away with only paying 14.5 % tax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Ken's own words being "super rich". No-one got "super rich" using a limited company to channel their earnings through because you can't get away with only paying 14.5 % tax.

LOL - desperation creeping in?

I do like the idea that Ken somehow believes that the tax avoidance which he practices is 'good', whilst the tax avoidance that the Tories practice is 'bad' :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL - desperation creeping in?

I do like the idea that Ken somehow believes that the tax avoidance which he practices is 'good', whilst the tax avoidance that the Tories practice is 'bad' :rolleyes:

It was Gideon himself who said we want to get rid of "aggressive" tax avoidance. That's the bad sort.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Gideon himself who said we want to get rid of "aggressive" tax avoidance. That's the bad sort.
    Of course - flipping your cash around so most of it's offshored and in investments isn't "aggressive" avoidance...

Those bastards really have no shame at all...
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

It would hardly be the first time a politician was being hypocritical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah - so Ken's tax avoidance is good and the Tory 'Bastards' bad :D:D:D

Your defence of the indefensible is getting rather silly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah - so Ken's tax avoidance is good and the Tory 'Bastards' bad :D:D:D

Your defence of the indefensible is getting rather silly

Yes, because Ken's not the "super rich" he criticised for using what Gideon called "aggressive" tax avoidance.

Ken's just doing what probably millions of us do and something he's not criticised.

It's your attempt to conflate using a limited company with the "aggressive" avoidance schemes used by the super rich that's rather silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ken's just doing what probably millions of us do and something he's not criticised.

How do you (or Ken) know what schemes the Tories are using? - in all probability they are using exactly the same dodges as him. I used to use exactly the same dodge to reduce my tax bill, dividend payments, take advantage of wife's tax-free allowance, etc. etc. - although my accountant wasn't as good as Ken's, I could only get my tax bill down to the low 20's :D

Ken said that everyone should pay tax at the same rate on their earnings and all other income - everyone except him it appears. :rolleyes: