Options

Been offered council flat but not sure whether or not to take it

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where abouts in skem is it? There are bits I'd live in and others I'd avoid like the plague

Digmoor by the shopping parade.

I'm not bothered about the location but a lot of the pensioners in these flats are the ones that moved from Liverpool in the 60s and 70s when the new town was built and many of them are rough ex docker types or have been inside so if you get the wrong side of them you're well and truly ****ed.

The couple below the last one I was in used to dial 999 every time they ran out of paracetamol and if you annoyed the bloke he used to throw bits of furniture at the ceiling but of course they were nice as pie with anyone from the council and had pictures of snowmen and goblins all over their windows to keep up their respectable front. Tricky doesn't even begin to describe them.
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't know the area, go at different times of the day to see what it's like, if there are gangs hanging about etc

But if you're happy with the area i'd take it. It could be another year before you get an offer again.
  • Options
    horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bowland37 wrote: »
    Digmoor by the shopping parade.

I'm not bothered about the location but a lot of the pensioners in these flats are the ones that moved from Liverpool in the 60s and 70s when the new town was built and many of them are rough ex docker types or have been inside so if you get the wrong side of them you're well and truly ****ed.

The couple below the last one I was in used to dial 999 every time they ran out of paracetamol and if you annoyed the bloke he used to throw bits of furniture at the ceiling but of course they were nice as pie with anyone from the council and had pictures of snowmen and goblins all over their windows to keep up their respectable front. Tricky doesn't even begin to describe them.

I'd certainly have a good think about it and if you keep your head down then you're right, is it worth a gamble if they are all alright then great but even if one of them is a t**l then not so much, what is the alternative for you though I suppose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd certainly have a good think about it and if you keep your head down then you're right, is it worth a gamble if they are all alright then great but even if one of them is a t**l then not so much, what is the alternative for you though I suppose

I've been up all night flip flopping over this decision. I'm due to be viewing it at 10am. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    You will be viewing this flat just now but hopefully all was well and the neighbours nice. Let us know how you got on.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely a couple would still be entitled to 2 bedrooms though?
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Now is the best time to take a council home, before this cuts in. No, couples will be entitled to a 1 bed property, and if they receive any housing benefit, will be forced to pay 14% of that if they do have a 2 bed home, thats why all of the 1 bed places are gong to be snapped up, motsly through mutual exchange I imagine.

As best I can make out, once the Universal Credit system is fully in place, non-dependant adults are entitled to a room of their own regardless if they are one part of a couple. It's quite confusing that the government bring in a tax in April, for which the rules change come October once Universal Credit is fully implemented.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely agree. My mum is in a similar situation and she's constantly worried that couple above her will move as the woman is very ill and has trouble getting up and down the stairs of the building. It's a nice, quiet building which she loves, but I know it's a constant worry for her.
    That's not exclusive to flats, or council ownership.

When we bought a house in a terrace street our original neighbours on one side were a lovely family, then they moved out and in came people who used to row loudly on the street outside at 2.00 in the morning most weeks and have regular visits from the police.

Then they moved out and a quiet single guy moved in who we hardly ever noticed.

Then he got a girlfriend, and she had a dog which never shuts up barking when she visits.

Unless you are on your own grounds or in a cottage by itself in the middle of the countryside you are always at risk of suddenly getting neighbours from hell.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    That's not exclusive to flats, or council ownership.

When we bought a house in a terrace street our original neighbours on one side were a lovely family, then they moved out and in came people who used to row loudly on the street outside at 2.00 in the morning most weeks and have regular visits from the police.

Then they moved out and a quiet single guy moved in who we hardly ever noticed.

Then he got a girlfriend, and she had a dog which never shuts up barking when she visits.

Unless you are on your own grounds or in a cottage by itself in the middle of the countryside you are always at risk of suddenly getting neighbours from hell.

Yes - noisy neighbours can be a problem anywhere.

Its even more of an issue for new build flats and conversions - particuarly if you have laminate flooring meets toddlers running around (you will think you have elephants as neighbours!). I would never live below anyone with laminate flooring if I could help it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    What have you got to lose? If you don't like it you can give up the tenency and move out.

Next year council housing rules are going to get tougher, they are talking about giving people 5 year max tenencies and such forth, best to get in now before it gets impossible.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One bedroom properties will be like gold dust soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean about old people, you would think they would be quieter, but from some hard of hearing, the tv and music blasts
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    One bedroom properties will be like gold dust soon.

Most new builds are one beds - its family homes that are in short supply!
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Most new builds are one beds - its family homes that are in short supply!

I said "they will be like gold dust" not that they are now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emz_uk wrote: »
    What have you got to lose? If you don't like it you can give up the tenency and move out.

Next year council housing rules are going to get tougher, they are talking about giving people 5 year max tenencies and such forth, best to get in now before it gets impossible.
    Yes, I took it and signed the tenancy agreement this morning. The elderly lady next door seems friendly and the communal heating is great.

The rent is £66 a week plus £9.50 for unlimited heating and hot water..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.police.uk/

this is a very good site its helped us a lot if you are thinking of an Area type in the postcode and it shows if theres trouble there etc.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Yes, I took it and signed the tenancy agreement this morning. The elderly lady next door seems friendly and the communal heating is great.

The rent is £66 a week plus £9.50 for unlimited heating and hot water.. :)

Nice one mate hope you will be happy in your new home
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.westlancshomefinder.co.uk/Data/ASPPages/1/30.aspx

Get signed up if you want one whilst they're still easy to get. I was in the lowest band D, had no local connection and it took 3 months.

It's not a bad areas for jobs either, the local unemployment rate is 3.3%, well below the national average..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Congratulations, hope you will be really happy in your new home.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Have been having some problems with depression and am currently being treated for alcohol addiction - I have more or less stopped drinking now. I am very edgy and don't look great (dark rings under eyes due to not sleeping well).

The flat is over 40s only, a block of 4 flats in Skelmersdale. I took a similar flat in March and it was a disaster. The elderly couple underneath had their TV on full blast the whole time so I couldn't hear my TV or hold a conversation in the living room. This led to me starting drinking after we had fallen out (I asked them if they would turn it down and the woman went psycho) then they started keeping me awake all night coughing.

Council houses are become as difficult to find as rocking horse **** though hence why I feel I should give it a go.

Bear in mind that the Council will take a dim view of you rejecting somewhere without an extremely good reason - the fact you've done this already doesn't help at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the Council will take a dim view of you rejecting somewhere without an extremely good reason - the fact you've done this already doesn't help at all.
    I had already been put in the lowest band for 12 months when I got offered the flat I have now accepted. i could have rejected 10 flats and I would still have been in the same band.

The area and type of flat I have taken is one which they have trouble letting due to lack of demand.
  • Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's that phrase ?

Beggars Can't Be Choosers, yes that's it.

Be happy you live in a civilised country where the State has an obligation to look after
    the less fortunate.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had already been put in the lowest band for 12 months when I got offered the flat I have now accepted. i could have rejected 10 flats and I would still have been in the same band.

The area and type of flat I have taken is one which they have trouble letting due to lack of demand.

Made up for you. Was hoping you'd like it when you saw it. :) Enjoy your new home when you move in. We've been in our council house 10 years and love it. Our neighbours are happy too - no one has any intention of ever moving out, we all like it here so much, so there is more stability than you'd think, when you find the right place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have got an elderly lady underneath with Dementia who likes to wander round slamming doors at 3am in the morning. Earplugs are no help.

It looks from the mail for previous tenants like there's been around 4 people in here within the last 18 months. The alarm bells started ringing when the housing officer told me the last guy in here who moved in around May had put in an expensive kitchen and decorated before then moving out within a few months.

This is why I was so wary when I was offered it. Back to the drawing board I guess.. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get used to night noises. Where I live we have police cars going past blasting their two tones all night. To start with it woke me up every time, now I don't notice it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update. it appears I have a drugs gang operating out of the flat opposite me and I have been threatened with being shot. He seems to be running a protection racket with the two flats underneath absolutely petrified of him.

Another quality property from West Lancashire Borough Council. :rolleyes: