Options

Do you care about bad spelling ?

Comments

• Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »
    Bugbears (not aimed at anyone, of course!)

The usual culprits, although most of them are grammar problems:

there/their/they're
    Your/you're
    His/he's

And on the spelling side:

"rediculous".

It's rediculous, I mean, ridiculous ;)

May I just add to the list the use of an apostrophe to indicate a plural, eg 'I made three thread's about it' What's that about?:confused:
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ic wrote: »
    I won't be having a book published,Had one written about my wife and I though.

Would you have complained if it was full of common spelling errors?

Posting on an informal public forum, you expect people to be a bit more tolerant of errors such as typos, writing a word that sounds like what you intended, omissions, spelling errors and so on. But there are limits!

I take a certain amount of trouble to get my posts right after all! And if people are genuinely bad at spelling, there are tools to help out now...
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Spelling doesn't bother me too much but "should of" and "could of" drives me nuts. It's incorrect and pointed out often enough on the forums but still people type it. Why? It's "should HAVE" and "could HAVE", is it really so difficult to understand? Any impact a post may have is lost as soon as I see it, it's like chalk on a blackboard.

Couldn't agree more. All the more annoying because "should/could/would of" doesn't make any sense. I notice a spelling mistake but can usually still understand what they mean, whereas 'of' is no substitute for 'have'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am guilty of all of the above,especially bad grammar.

I have no doubt that it makes me look thick,and does attract other posters that correct my posts, how ever,being dyslexic,I really struggle with which "there" is appropriate, and i cannot get the hand of other grammatical errors and how to correct them,as it looks correct to me.

I dont consider myself as thick, I was in all the top classes at school other than english where i was in the very bottom. I do try and correct my spelling using a spell check,but I dont think the posters who quote and correct people think how that makes the original poster feel. I know it knocks my already low confidence and puts me off posting,many times I have deleted posts I have written before i have entered the text.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only care if it's someone telling us how educificated and wonderful they are. Like a certain troll who claimed to be a law student. Generally speaking, not too bothered unless it is someone who is already irritating in another way...
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    n1guy wrote: »
    I think its damn right rude to contribute nothing to a post and only criticize grammar or spelling which is what some folk on here make a full time hobby.control?
    Wouldn't worry about those saddos! people who criticise other for spelling or whatever have personal insecurities in life. In their vain attempt to brush their personal insecurities aside, they have sly digs at others because it makes them feel good about themselves. But the reality is, they're nothing and they know it! and the joke is on them.
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Would you have complained if it was full of common spelling errors?

Posting on an informal public forum, you expect people to be a bit more tolerant of errors such as typos, writing a word that sounds like what you intended, omissions, spelling errors and so on. But there are limits!

I take a certain amount of trouble to get my posts right after all! And if people are genuinely bad at spelling, there are tools to help out now...

Of course I would be miffed if it was fucll of spelling mistakes.I think I said that in my last post.This is just a forum full of drivel that you're not paying for.Most don't care about a mistake here and there.It's the ones that do care that have a problem.I bet they pull people up on their grammar when they're telling an anecdote too.Actually no,without a keyboard in front of them they're probably very shy little pussycats.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely detest bad spelling, but I also respect the fact that correcting faults in others is against netiquette.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I care about my own spelling but I try not to put others down because of theirs as everyone's ability is different.

What they're trying to say is usually more important.

The angrier someone is on the subject the more I'm likely to think they've been on the receiving end a few times though.
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Bad spelling and grammar is the literary equivalent of going to the supermarket in your pyjamas, with a **** hanging out of your mouth as you swear at your children.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to much. But I do really hate text speak when writing into a forum.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Bad spelling and grammar is the literary equivalent of going to the supermarket in your pyjamas, with a **** hanging out of your mouth as you swear at your children.

Only forums are not "literary".:)

And if writing for publication, that is what sub editors and editors are for.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    ic wrote: »
    Of course I would be miffed if it was fucll of spelling mistakes.I think I said that in my last post.This is just a forum full of drivel that you're not paying for.Most don't care about a mistake here and there.It's the ones that do care that have a problem.I bet they pull people up on their grammar when they're telling an anecdote too.Actually no,without a keyboard in front of them they're probably very shy little pussycats.

Is your space bar broken?
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    If unsure do you check or do you just write any old crap and hope for the best ?

I'm a bit of a grammar and spelling fiend, and I have a fairly low tolerance for spelling or grammar mistakes - "Should of" and "Their should be a rule" etc etc

But it all depends on context really, in a text is one thing, in a letter to the local council is another matter entirely.

Hours we sometimes spend trying to decipher the grammarless, spelling disaster, punctuationless letters we get ripped from a phone pad that are usually just a rant set to paper and often all in CAPITALS "AND I WENT DOWN 2 THE HOUSIN AN THEY TOLE ME I DINT HAVE NO POINTS AN I SED ITS NOT TRU" etc etc repeat over 3 sides.
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My biggest bugbear is loose instead of lose. :mad:

Yes!!

Also, people putting 'defiantly' for 'definitely' and using 'then' when they mean 'than'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    Yes!!

Also, people putting 'defiantly' for 'definitely' and using 'then' when they mean 'than'

The they're/there/their "conundrum" is also rather confusing. As are out-of-place apostrophes.
  • Options
    marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my FB friends decribed something as "supurb" and signed off last week with "adyos omigos". She's a lovely girl but her spelling is atrocious!!
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    If unsure do you check or do you just write any old crap and hope for the best ?

I just spelt pyjamas wrong in a thread, I'm resisting the urge to go back and edit it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    Yes!!

And 'definately'
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care if someone else has bad spelling... well, I do care. I just fink dat dey iz well fick.

I type with horrendous spelling and grammar all the time, especially when I'm mocking people. TOO BAD! :D
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    I just spelt pyjamas wrong in a thread, I'm resisting the urge to go back and edit it.
    Stick with 'jimjams' in future and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite are wums pretending to be mentally ill, who think spelling things wrong is the way to convey it and omitting words like 'The' altogether, the same goes for faux 'foreign'.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I always re-read everything I type and if there is a mistake I will take the time to correct it. On the rare occasion I do make a spelling error, I feel really stupid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My favourite are wums pretending to be mentally ill, who think spelling things wrong is the way to convey it and omitting words like 'The' altogether, the same goes for faux 'foreign'.
    Pretending to be drunk on a forum as the easiest ones to spot.

They type in what they think looks like a drunken attempt but if you check the keys they've used , it's always obvious that they are more sober than I am.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    'Your' used instead of 'you're' annoys me. It's really not that hard to grasp.