Options

Is bedtime reading to your children "smug middle-class"

Comments

• Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Ice wrote: »
    I read to mine very night and they love it. It's comforting for them to cuddle up and be read to, and a great way of bonding.

It also teaches them a love of books, reading and the written word.

If people don't do it, it's not to do with class. I feel it may, sadly, be because they can't be arsed.

Agreed. My lifelong love of books started with my parents reading to me and I have voraciously read almost any book I can get my hands on ever since.

Reading to children is absolutely crucial (imho) to their upbringing, not just because of the sheer pleasure of hearing or reading a good story, but also because it educates kids, about life, about spelling and grammar, about social attitudes and just about everything else. Class quite simply should not come into it.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister and I used to have a bed time story every night till WE decided we were too old and I come from an extra lower class family.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    I would feel dead awkward if my mum or dad ever read a story to me when I was a kid.

Why? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when was bedtime reading middle class?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Is bedtime reading to your children "smug middle-class ....or just plain good parenting irrespective of background ?

The latter. The end.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    I would feel dead awkward if my mum or dad ever read a story to me when I was a kid.

Even if you were like 3 :confused:
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Yes, that's all very true. It's the word 'smug' that's the biggest problem here. It seems you can't mention anything to do with the middle-class without getting a few 'smugs' in. As if it's somehow absurd and wrong that people should care about current affairs, educate themselves and their children, learn to cook a decent meal, have a solid circle of friends with similar interests, have a career and work hard to provide your family with a comfortable life, and all the other hundreds of perfectly reasonable middle-class aspirations that some people just love to sneer at.

Oh I agree, and it is very much a class thing, tied up with anti intellectualism where reading is concerned.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    ....or just plain good parenting irrespective of background ?

I dont think it has anything to do with class..my parents read to me and I read to my children at bedtime..we are just a normal family..but when they are young,bath time,reading and bedtime..most of my friends do the same.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was read to sleep as a kid. And I read to my bezzie mates kids when I'm there. But I still quite like kids stories :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I was read to sleep as a kid. And I read to my bezzie mates kids when I'm there. But I still quite like kids stories :o

Nowt wrong with that. Sometimes when mine have nodded off I carry on reading :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since 70% in Britain identify themselves as middle-class, you mean the majority of people read to their children? SHOCKER.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....or just plain good parenting irrespective of background ?

don't talk bollocks.. every parent should read to their child.. even at bedtime..
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We normally read a book to our little boy at bedtime, not our daughter tho as she is only 6 months. I wouldn't call ourselves middle class exactly, somewhere inbetween working class and middle class I guess.

I think this thread is stupid though, everyone should read to their kids, it's important.
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was read to when I was little. I assumed it was perfectly normal. Of all the things you can try and make a class war out of, this isn't one I'd have ever imagined. I'd expect people from all classes approach reading bedtime stories the same way - some do it, some don't.

The fact that anyone could even consider it being to do with "smug middle class" suggests a disturbingly bad case of reverse snobbery. I'm as working class as they come but too many of my fellow WC people desperately need to get over themselves and lose the victim complex.
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Just plain good parenting irrespective of background.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I don't see at all what it has to do with class. I came from a middle class family but can't ever remember my parents reading to me before bed or ever really. :(

Despite that I still love to read.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP- has anyone suggested it is? What brought this question on?
  • Options
    ScouseBirdScouseBird Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my son was younger we never read a story for bed but i always read to him when because everyone told me that is how they become clever!
    I wouldnt say its middle class just seems to be a bit pretetious, i doubt people with naughty kids or multiple kids have enough time to fit a bedtime story
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading to your kids is pretentious?
  • Options
    ScouseBirdScouseBird Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Reading to your kids is pretentious?

No i read to my kid i just meant people who pretend to be middle class by reading to the kids at bed because they think its what they should do despite most middle class people not bothering
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently we have rediscovered the reading at bedtime and we are loving it. The boys are 5 and 6 and we are reading Harry Potter. Our eldest now asks if he can read the odd page at bedtime which makes me smile :) and I have found I enjoy reading again too now there's a purpose.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    That depends on what you are reading your child.

The Communist Manifesto or Margaret Thatcher: The Autobiography. :D

I'd have thought either of those would be ideal for getting the sprogs asleep sharpish so you can enjoy the rest of the evening :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I think it's just good parenting. I read to my son for years, or we'd listen to part of a storytape together. Always enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm far from being middle class but I read to both my kids when they were younger and they've grown up loving books and reading, and now they're getting older they both still read on a daily basis. I don't understand how or why it's smug to read a story to your child. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do get the impression though if your kids don't have their head in a book constantly then they are in some way thick or missing out on something.

I've always hated reading, and trying to read to the kids was such a chore. :sleep:

the only books they ever showed an interest in were factual books and Captain underpants.