Replace glass with plastic

spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Glass should be replaced with plastic; today I bought a bottle of vodka along with the rest of my shopping at Tesco, and when I arrived home, I put the bag down on my doorstep, & it fell off & smashed & all the vodka was wasted, it was a Tesco value bottle, so maybe if it was Smirnoff or something like that then the glass would be better quality & not have broken, but one thing's for sure - plastic would not have broken.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope you got down and lapped up as much as possible :D
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you got down and lapped up as much as possible :D

Every last drop of it was gone.:cry:
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have wondered about that before as well, is it possible that the reason is glass is cheaper than plastic?. Dunno, just a thought.
  • katiekatie Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glass should be replaced with plastic; today I bought a bottle of vodka along with the rest of my shopping at Tesco, and when I arrived home, I put the bag down on my doorstep, & it fell off & smashed & all the vodka was wasted, it was a Tesco value bottle, so maybe if it was Smirnoff or something like that then the glass would be better quality & not have broken, but one thing's for sure - plastic would not have broken.

I probably wouldn't object to this, my local council refuse trucks don't collect glass bottles, only plastic, for recycling. To recycle glass bottles I have to make a special trip to a supermarket or council tip. And um, I usually have quite a few each week ;)

But then a part of me thinks, vodka in a plastic bottle - not quite the same, glass has class. :D

OP: a tip: if you're planning on buying bottles of vodka, try to take your own sturdy shopping bag and don't rely on the pathetic supermarket plastic ones, I think kitchen or toilet roll is stronger than those. A sturdier bag may not protect the bottle completely but easier to carry and less chance of breakage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katie wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't object to this, my local council refuse trucks don't collect glass bottles, only plastic, for recycling. To recycle glass bottles I have to make a special trip to a supermarket or council tip. And um, I usually have quite a few each week ;)

But then a part of me thinks, vodka in a plastic bottle - not quite the same, glass has class. :D

OP: a tip: if you're planning on buying bottles of vodka, try to take your own sturdy shopping bag and don't rely on the pathetic supermarket plastic ones, I think kitchen or toilet roll is stronger than those. A sturdier bag may not protect the bottle completely but easier to carry and less chance of breakage.

Well as it goes, I do normally use the 'bags for life', 4 suffices, though as I use the bus to get home I couldn't manage more than that anyway. Today I was using the flimsy free ones, I needed 7; this was because yesterday I used my 'bags for life' to take my recycling (my council will not collect recycling from where I live), I recycled in the car-park of a place that my fiance drives me to most Sundays with my dog, unfortunately I left the bags in his car.:(
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    I have wondered about that before as well, is it possible that the reason is glass is cheaper than plastic?. Dunno, just a thought.

I think glass is probably more easily recyclable than plastic.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was having a discussion on Saturday night about why you can get cider in 2l plastic bottles but not lager/beer.

Apparently on the continent you can.
  • Simrat_HaryanaSimrat_Haryana Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I feel your pain OP - my mum had stored a bottle of wine in the fridge she got given at her wedding, and she opened the fridge door one morning, and the wine bottle rolled off the shelf and smashed onto the floor! :eek::cry: The wine bottle had never, ever been opened either! :cry:
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think we should go back to glass to be honest. Best way not to smash glass is to be more careful.

As been said Glass easy to recycle and don't have any chemicals in like some plastics do.
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,846
    Forum Member
    Plastic bottles have BPA - oestrogen disrupters. Glass is so much better and, as someone has already said, has class!
    http://www.naturalhealth365.com/science_news/bpa.html
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps plastic would taint the flavour of spirits? When you start getting charged for carrier bags in England as we do in Wales you remember to take good quality bags out with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Perhaps plastic would taint the flavour of spirits? When you start getting charged for carrier bags in England as we do in Wales you remember to take good quality bags out with you.

Many of us already do! My problem with recycling though is the lack of consistancy from council to council and the poor packaging of many goods. I posted this on another forum a couple of weeks ago:

"Not so straight forward I'm afraid. I've got a plastic, soft drink bottle in front of me and the label reads as follows:

BOTTLE - PLASTIC - Widely recycled
    CAP - PLASTIC - Check local recycling
    LABEL - PLASTIC - Not currently recycled
    ."

Madness!
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    i think we should go back to glass to be honest. Best way not to smash glass is to be more careful.

As been said Glass easy to recycle and don't have any chemicals in like some plastics do.

I agree completely. Not only is glass far more environmentally friendly, but drinks taste much better when they come in proper glass bottles - Coke for example. It also looks better - a little style, people!

Christ, are we really so pathetic these days that we need protecting from ourselves in every possible way?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many items are packaged in glass because the plastic alternative would change their flavour radically.

Really all you need to do is be more careful with your shopping. Only problem we have ever encountered was when I dropped a plastic bottle of lemonade and suddenly found out just how much 2L of lemonade actually was as it exploded and sprayed everyone within a 6 foot distance from my stupidity
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hell no, I've just been working on a feature film about plastic and we should be making less of it, not more... http://www.plasticoceans.net
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

See post #6.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I agree completely. Not only is glass far more environmentally friendly, but drinks taste much better when they come in proper glass bottles - Coke for example. It also looks better - a little style, people!

Christ, are we really so pathetic these days that we need protecting from ourselves in every possible way?

No, but it's very annoying when you've paid £9 for something & you don't get to use it at all, especially when you're on a tight budget.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many of us already do! My problem with recycling though is the lack of consistancy from council to council and the poor packaging of many goods. I posted this on another forum a couple of weeks ago:

"Not so straight forward I'm afraid. I've got a plastic, soft drink bottle in front of me and the label reads as follows:

BOTTLE - PLASTIC - Widely recycled
    CAP - PLASTIC - Check local recycling
    LABEL - PLASTIC - Not currently recycled
    ."

Madness!

I find it very unfair that in my area, people who live in houses get their recycling collected from their house (they are provided by the council with 2 boxes for this purpose), where as people like me who live in flats, do not receive this service.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Hell no, I've just been working on a feature film about plastic and we should be making less of it, not more... http://www.plasticoceans.net

I'll check this out later, about to go out... looks intersting, thanks.

Get rid of plastic as much as possible I say. This link (CONTAINS GROSS IMAGES AND VIDEO WATCH WITH CAUTION) highlights one of the many problems with plastic.

Additionally, where you have to use plastic, Hemp Plastics can replace nearly, if not all plastic products we currently use.

Sorry to hear about your Vodka though :(
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave74 wrote: »
    I'll check this out later, about to go out... looks intersting, thanks.

Get rid of plastic as much as possible I say. This link (CONTAINS GROSS IMAGES AND VIDEO WATCH WITH CAUTION) highlights one of the many problems with plastic.

Additionally, where you have to use plastic, Hemp Plastics can replace nearly, if not all plastic products we currently use.

Sorry to hear about your Vodka though :(

We filmed something similar just off Tasmania with Shearwaters. Really, really awful. But yeah, check out the film. It's not going to be out for a while yet but it certainly opened my eyes about the use of plastic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it very unfair that in my area, people who live in houses get their recycling collected from their house (they are provided by the council with 2 boxes for this purpose), where as people like me who live in flats, do not receive this service.:mad:

As I say, we need uniformity across the country. We have 3 bins but we have to pay an extra £25 pounds for our garden waste to be collected. On top of this the council expect us to wash all of our tins and glass jars. They have also started to poke around the recycle bin to check there are no contaminating items in there. This is absolutely ridiculous as the bins are about 4 feet deep so there is no way of knowing what may be lurking at the bottom. I watched a binman checking my neighbours bin a couple of weeks ago and obviously found something that shouldn't have been there and refused to empty it. In the meantime his rummaging caused all sorts of packaging to be blown about the street and land in the neighbouring gardens. Needless to say he didn't pick it up.:mad:
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,451
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was having a discussion on Saturday night about why you can get cider in 2l plastic bottles but not lager/beer.

Apparently on the continent you can.

Never seen it on the continent. In Spain they just sell big glass bottles.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I say, we need uniformity across the country. We have 3 bins but we have to pay an extra £25 pounds for our garden waste to be collected. On top of this the council expect us to wash all of our tins and glass jars. They have also started to poke around the recycle bin to check there are no contaminating items in there. This is absolutely ridiculous as the bins are about 4 feet deep so there is no way of knowing what may be lurking at the bottom. I watched a binman checking my neighbours bin a couple of weeks ago and obviously found something that shouldn't have been there and refused to empty it. In the meantime his rummaging caused all sorts of packaging to be blown about the street and land in the neighbouring gardens. Needless to say he didn't pick it up.:mad:

After I pointed out to our council washing out tins etc was dangerous and if I cut myself I would be sueing them they admitted all the tins need is to be empty, they say wash them to make sure half filled tims of food are not put in the bins.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the US they sell lots of spirits in plastic bottles, usually the low end cheap stuff though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    After I pointed out to our council washing out tins etc was dangerous and if I cut myself I would be sueing them they admitted all the tins need is to be empty, they say wash them to make sure half filled tims of food are not put in the bins.

As I say, our council has recently become quite hardcore about recycling and won't accept dirty jars because the recycling people they are now using do not have any jet wash facilities. Stupidly, in my opinion, they said in their information sheet 'if in doubt put in in the general waste bin' i.e landfill. I think this will lead to a decrease in recycling rather than an increase especially when people start receiving fines for puting the wrong stuff in the recycle bin. Personally I rinse out anything that doesn't leave much residue but I'm not going to start clogging up my drains by washing Mayo or jam jars etc. so they now go in the general waste.

In addition to these new instructions they have reduced the opening times of recycling centres which I can see leading to an increase in fly tipping. :(

My earlier post about the variety of plastics used in packging one item shows how complicated recycling can be and it really needs sorting at source by the manufacturers.