Golf 2014

1121314151618»

Comments

• croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malbren wrote: »
    I was gutted for big Phil :cry:

I so enjoy watching his game and the way he gets himself out of trouble and produces shots out of nothing situations. He had a brilliant go at it though so good on him.

Rory just goes marching on, 3 and counting ...

He didn't look a happy bunny on the 18th when the last group joined them ... I think it was Faldo that pointed out that it is ultimately up to the players whether a group plays through so I am guessing he was simply told by the officials that was what was going to happen.

Mickelson and Fowler almost played as a team for the majority of the final day and with the patriotic crowd getting behind their men it probably just fired Rory up to play the golf he did on the back nine, so ultimately it backfired.
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    crofter wrote: »
    He didn't look a happy bunny on the 18th when the last group joined them ... I think it was Faldo that pointed out that it is ultimately up to the players whether a group plays through so I am guessing he was simply told by the officials that was what was going to happen.

Mickelson and Fowler almost played as a team for the majority of the final day and with the patriotic crowd getting behind their men it probably just fired Rory up to play the golf he did on the back nine, so ultimately it backfired.

I think it showed how Rory has now completely made the transition from exceptional golfer to a true champion. He was a little off on day 3 & 4 for him yet he dug in and prevailed. He was behind the 2 yanks who were lighting the course up, at Valhalla the only site of a US Ryder cup victory this century and yet it was them that crumbled in the end. Superb win..
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surpassing news, but Tiger has withdrawn from Ryder cup selection on medical grounds
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    That is one less distraction for the Americans and Woods' Ryder Cup record is mediocre. However, the US team is starting to shape up like it was at the K club. Some weak links and others that are out of form. Anything can happen in matchplay, but Europe looks stronger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky escape for Greg Norman

"Norman was spending the afternoon cleaning up some trees in his backyard on Jupiter Island, Florida when a large branch unexpectedly started to come down on him," it read"

Attempting to catch the branch, Norman dropped the chainsaw. The weight of the branch brought Norman's arm down upon the saw that was thankfully slowing."

Norman, whose nickname is 'Great White Shark', posted a picture of himself on Twitter and Instagram on Saturday night as he recovered in a hospital bed, saying he was "damaged" but "lucky" to still have a left hand.

"Working with a chainsaw ALWAYS be respectful of the unexpected," he wrote.

"I was one lucky man today. Damaged, but not down & out. Still have left hand."

http://www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/article/585/9471499/golf-greg-norman-is-expected-to-make-a-full-speedy-recovery-after-injuring-his-left-arm-in-a-chainsaw-accident
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone going to the Dunhill Links which starts tomorrow?

I went to Carnoustie on the Thursday last year and spent a while watching Kaymer, Els and Oosthuizen. I couldn't believe how quiet it was given it was free entry.

I'll be there again tomorrow but I expect it'll be a bit busier this year seeing as Rory is playing.

I wonder which sadist put Nick Faldo out in a group with one of the Ryder Cup players (Victor). :D
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FFS, show Faldo Sky, maybe one of the last times we see him, and he's got a chance of making the cut. He's a sporting hero, they've shown some of Montgomerie, who wasn't fit to tie up Sir Nick's bootlaces, really annoying this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see that the PGA of America have acted to remove their main man after his tweets aimed at Ian Poulter. If any of us needed reminding that Faldo has become "one of them" it is the rush by the top names in USA golf to back his "views" up - on this occasion the main man has fallen on his sword ...

As I say nice to see the PGA taking this decision as it shows total transparency (or the fact they wanted shot of him) in the game ... I don't doubt that Poulter will however feel the fall out in the coming season in some shape or form.

Faldo in my eyes has sold his soul to the devil ... his job as a broadcaster is becoming close to unatenable ...

Edit: let's take all that with a pinch of salt as I am reading he has been removed for gender issues ... completely different story from BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well seems like the sexist tweets that were directed at Poulter are the sole reason that Bishop has resigned - guess he shouldn't have called him a lil' girl as he has upset the PC brigade ... only in America as they say.:D
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that a 64 man matchplay tournament backed by Paul Lawrie for end of July beginning of August new year.

We really do exceptionally well for tournaments in Scotland.

That would give us next year Scottish Open, The. Open next year and generally every two years, This new tournament, Johnnie Walker at Gleaneagles, Dunhill Links.

Yet if this new matchplay replaces the one in Kent of a few weeks ago, that takes us back down to just the PGA In England.

If I am correct in that the Scottish Open returns to Aberdeen in 2017 that gives the same city two tournaments within 3 weeks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger made his (long awaited) comeback overnight

Carded a 77 and he's last:o

His short game was awful but his driving was OK.
    He has a different swing which is designed to take pressure of his back