Options

Coronation Street's Sean - Are DS posters out of step?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
Forum Member
✭✭
To read DS, one might be forgiven for believing that the character of Sean Tully, played by Anthony Cotton, is a waste of space. This, of course, flies in the face of the evidence that both character and actor are immensely popular.

This week, in The Guardian, Kevin Elyot - Olivier-winning playwright of the seminal gay play My Night With Reg and the writer of Clapham Junction, the highlight of Channel 4's gay season - is quoted thus: "I think the character Sean Tully, played by Anthony Cotton, is terribly good: he's a lovely character and I quite like the storylines. I think the fact that millions of people watch that is a good thing."

In this week's Radio Times, Russell T Davies says much the same thing, quite independently.

Are those posters on DS who are vitriolic against Sean/Antony - possibly a handful who make a lot of noise to make themselves look more numerous - out of step with the majority?

Comments

• Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    RTD cast Anthony Cotton as Alexander in Queer as Folk, so he would rate him, as they are mates. Equally Kevin Elyot is a leading gay playwright and Cotton himself writes: he is very well connected indeed. So I do not think that their high opinion of Cotton's performances really mean that he is necessarily any good.

I think Cotton used to be edgy. But Sean fits Corrie like a cosy safe glove. He is hugely popular with fans, perhaps because he is not unlike the rather camp 1970s comedians like Larry Grayson: "Everard" "Slack Alice" : except that he is out and proud.

I personally have never joined in with his critics, but I cannot say that I rate him either.

Kev
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    corriander wrote: »
    RTD cast Anthony Cotton as Alexander in Queer as Folk, so he would rate him, as they are mates. Equally Kevin Elyot is a leading gay playwright and Cotton himself writes: he is very well connected indeed. So I do not think that their high opinion of Cotton's performances really mean that he is necessarily any good.

I think Cotton used to be edgy. But Sean fits Corrie like a cosy safe glove. He is hugely popular with fans, perhaps because he is not unlike the rather camp 1970s comedians like Larry Grayson: "Everard" "Slack Alice" : except that he is out and proud.

I personally have never joined in with his critics, but I cannot say that I rate him either.

Kev

You seem to be suggesting the supposed gay mafia is protecting its own. But from what I know of Kevin Elyot he doesn't strike me as part of that. Do you really think he's not being objective?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,986
    Forum Member
    DB5 wrote:
    This week, in The Guardian, Kevin Elyot - Olivier-winning playwright of the seminal gay play My Night With Reg and the writer of Clapham Junction, the highlight of Channel 4's gay season - is quoted thus: "I think the character Sean Tully, played by Anthony Cotton, is terribly good: he's a lovely character and I quite like the storylines. I think the fact that millions of people watch that is a good thing."
    Just found the online version of this, for those interested. Sean does indeed get mentioned (question 10), but not just in the above quote. There's more on Sean/Corrie in questions 12/13 (question 13 on why Kevin thinks Corrie portray Sean the way they do).

Though it doesn't mention Sean, there's an interesting piece over on Guardian Unlimited entitled It's time to move beyond being 'gay' (by Simon Fanshawe). And the ending....made me smile!

xx Joanna xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading something about how someone said that Anthony Cotton played the gay character very badly, but they must have been left red faced to find out the actor is gay in real life.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, some people will like an actor/character and some people won't. I don't think it really matters whether they are part of a majority or a minority, as long as people do not attempt to force others to share their opinion.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Sean will have his fans as well as his detractors - it's the same with everybody and everything. I'm not really prepared to listen to what Russell has to say because he would have a biased opinion on Sean and Anthony's representation of him.

I agree with the above post - does it matter if we're in the minority? If everybody were to agree then this world would be a very dull place.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sean is a bit panto though.

Antony Cotton was busting out of his shirt on Friday's episode!
    (Had to get that in)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give me Ena Sharples anyday
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I think Sean is a good comedy character and he is very funny, but I think he's average at doing emotional dramatic stuff.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The simple answer is yes. Sean's a good representation of a large part of the gay community, and he's popular with every Corrie fan I meet.

If I hear "He can't act, he's just playing himself" once more, I shall scream. Seriously, change the record :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He does comedy/filler fine, he doesn't do serious scenes so well but part of that is down to the writers. The way the Sonny love triangle thing happened made it VERY difficult to empathise with Sean at the time.

However I am no fan of him but also am not aware of what the gay community is like, and to be honest Sean isn't even OTT camp gay, he's just bitchy and gossipy and works in a women's underwear factory.

Still, I'd take him or leave him, at the moment he's a bit token.
  • Options
    Innocent GirlInnocent Girl Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forums are only a very, very small % of viewers so really to take notice of what people are saying on web boards would be wrong. IMO.

Sean I suppose is a good character for what he is and you could argue he is realistic but not all gay men are like Sean. John Paul in Hollyoaks I think is the best example of a gay man in todays world and I think EastEnders might be on to a winner with Marco but then again its personnal preference.

I don't think much of Anthony Cotton because he comes across as having a high opinion of himself. Thats not a bad thing but its a quality that I dislike in people.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't mind Sean in the beginning, but he is a bit of a panto character, very OTT.

I'm not too sure about Antony Cotton either. He keeps winning all these awards and now has his own TV show - there are far superior actors and entertainers out there who don't receive half as much praise.
  • Options
    brunoloverbrunolover Posts: 2,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The simple answer is yes. Sean's a good representation of a large part of the gay community, and he's popular with every Corrie fan I meet.

If I hear "He can't act, he's just playing himself" once more, I shall scream. Seriously, change the record :yawn:

That is such a depressing statement if it were true. I'd really hate to think that the majority of the "gay community" really did live up to everyone's stereotype of them being a bunch of knicker stiching mincers who are about as wet as a flannel.

You may feel he represents how you are as a gay person but he does not represent me and I don't believe he represents the majority either, sorry!
    '
    ...and he really can't act but I won't hold that against him.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brunolover wrote: »
    That is such a depressing statement if it were true. I'd really hate to think that the majority of the "gay community" really did live up to everyone's stereotype of them being a bunch of knicker stiching mincers who are about as wet as a flannel.

You may feel he represents how you are as a gay person but he does not represent me and I don't believe he represents the majority either, sorry!
    '
    I didn't say 'majority', I said 'a large part' which is entirely different.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    The problem is that he's not acting. He's playing himself. He's a stereotypical gay character. I much preffered Todd Grimshaw's portrayal of a gay man than Sean's

(just like to point out that I am gay)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I also believe stereotypes are actually a minority within the gay community. It's just that the media focuses on them almost exclusively so they are made to seem more prominent than they actually are.

As for Antony Cotton, he's one of the worst actors I've seen and he's admitted that he's playing himself (badly I might add).
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't rate Antony Cotton much as an actor. He is just playing himself and he is too much of a stereotype. But then again, i think he injects some comedy and good one liners onto the soap which isn't a bad thing at all.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a one trick pony, that one thing he does over and over is his "range". I find him annoying and I do not care if I am in majority or minority with this opinion.
  • Options
    IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    The fact of the matter is this type of character does exist in gay life.

I found it rather strange to read in a thread about Marco in EE the thread starter stated: "plus he seems like a real gay guy and not some sterotype eg Sean Tully."

Mr Tully is a 'real' gay guy like it or not and I for one can only blame the Corrie writing team for the silly frivolous 'stereotype' script they give him and not the actor himself.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy that plays John Paul in Hollyoaks 'half' slated Cotton in a gay magazine about 2 weeks ago.

Cotton seems to be popular with middle aged women, for some unknown reason. There certainly are real people like that - but usually they are seen within a community that has many other types too. He gets it for being the only gay in the village.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes me laugh at a lot of these comments. I'm not gay, but I can still tell of my own free will taht a character as camp as Sean doesn't represent the gay community as a whole. :D

It's like putting an asian family on the Street and being upset that that they don't represent the entire Middle East. It just doesn't work. The majority of people in this country have enough intelligence to figure that out for themselves. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The majority of people in this country have enough intelligence to figure that out for themselves. :D

Well maybe, there are equally a lot of thick people out there who take it as gospel. Lets face it, there are people out there who think the street is real, there were people who tried to book into the Crossroads Motel and there were people to apply to get a job in The Queen Vic.

I think Mr Cotton generally isn't liked for his off-screen attitude and the fact he can't act. His rise to fame can only be put down to a casting couch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://beautifulthing.wordpress.com/2007/06/23/james-sutton-in-axm-magazine/

James Suttons comment in AXM Magazine:
    If they'd wanted me to play John Paul like Anthony Cotton in Coronation Street, a gay sterotype. I wouldn't have done it. That to me is cheating.
  • Options
    Forum Member

'

Nor does he represent myself. I'm a bit too young to start saying whether a large part of the gay community is like Sean but I very much hope not because it's a community that I don't feel I can be part of. Are all gay men as selfish as Sean? Are all gay men as fickle and as shallow as Sean?

He may well be a representation of some gay men, but a good one? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well it's as true as the sky is blue. When somebody like that wins a 'Best Actor' award then I don't blame people for complaining.