People from Leeds

colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
Forum Member
I recently had to send something to a person who lives in Leeds. Out of interest I Googled the area that they live. It was a very run down street with terraced houses that all had bars on the windows and doors and a row of washing strung across the street. I won't name the particular street in question, but I guess there must be a lot of crime around this area. I've never seen so many homes with bars - so is Leeds itself quite a high crime area to live?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    It's a large city, many of which have rundown areas and areas which are more salubrious.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colgirl wrote: »
    I recently had to send something to a person who lives in Leeds. Out of interest I Googled the area that they live. It was a very run down street with terraced houses that all had bars on the windows and doors and a row of washing strung across the street. I won't name the particular street in question, but I guess there must be a lot of crime around this area. I've never seen so many homes with bars - so is Leeds itself quite a high crime area to live?

Wow, judging an entire city on one street?
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Wow, judging an entire city on one street?

Seems more like a question than a judgement to me.
  • Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeds is essentially just one big prison...:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeds is essentially just one big prison...:rolleyes:

That's what I got from the description in the OP too. I've never been to Leeds or prison.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like any other city in the UK - or the world for that matter; good parts and bad parts.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's poverty in big cities? Why weren't we told? Next you'll be telling me Los Angeles doesn't all look like Hollywood Boulevard.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    If you know your way around a computer enough to google a particular street, then surely you can google to find out the city's crime rates?
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a student in Leeds, the houses in the student areas tend to have bars, as they get targeted by thieves. Move out of those areas, and it's just like every other city :-)
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    Seems more like a question than a judgement to me.

Ok, I'll rephrase that. Asking if a whole city is crime ridden based on what one street looks like?
    Addisonian wrote: »
    It's like any other city in the UK - or the world for that matter; good parts and bad parts.

Exactly.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Harehills... Leeds?? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Leeds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ylomyloh wrote: »
    I like Leeds.

Ate some lovely Thai food when I was there last...keep thinking of excuses to go visit the Leeds office so I can have more Thai!
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    Harehills... Leeds?? :D

That was my guess, or Beeston.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hyde Park, Harehills & Seacroft are a bit iffy but the redt is well ace. I love Leeds and living here.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Leeds has got some grotty areas. Whole estates with only one crap corner shop and nothing else feels like some of it and the people that live there have been forgotten. Its not all like that of course
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was my guess, or Beeston.

Yup! :D
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The area described does sound like beeston. Could be holbeck or hunslet too.

Leeds is a huge city.

Some of its worst areas are.

Gipton
    Beeston
    Chapletown
    Halton moor
    Seacroft
    Harehills
    Little london.

Ive lived in Leeds for a long time. Its a good city but with rub down areas like any city
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    My daughter was at Uni in Leeds .......some of the places she lived were a bit :eek:. But as others have said - like any other cities anywhere in the world there are rough areas and really nice parts.

As far as UK cities go I think Leeds is rather lovely - lots of green areas and some real old world charm.
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member

As others have said it really depends which part of Leeds you are talking about-like other big cities it has its rough areas but also really nice parts. I have lived in Leeds for over ten years and love living here-the city centre has everyone you could want and there are some really nice parks and open spaces as well. Also you don't need to travel far to be in the countryside either
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harehills was the Hollywood Hills of Leeds in the 1920s, but there was some bomb damage in the war - and in the 60s, the council decided to compulsory purchase entire streets, intending to bulldoze the lot and rebuild with shiny new tower blocks... But then at the last minute, there were whole bits they backed out of buying. By which time most of the old families had moved out, (it had been a Jewish area but by the time my grandad died, on his street there was only one old Jewish lady left, and himself), because of the council's threats and the houses were selling for £150 in the mid 70s. Which was how it became such a scummy area. I'm afraid Leeds City Council did that to Harehills, although they'd never admit it now.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Ive lived in Leeds for a long time. Its a good city but with rub down areas like any city

I like anywhere with a good rub down area
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Harehills was the Hollywood Hills of Leeds in the 1920s, but there was some bomb damage in the war - and in the 60s, the council decided to compulsory purchase entire streets, intending to bulldoze the lot and rebuild with shiny new tower blocks... But then at the last minute, there were whole bits they backed out of buying. By which time most of the old families had moved out, (it had been a Jewish area but by the time my grandad died, on his street there was only one old Jewish lady left, and himself), because of the council's threats and the houses were selling for £150 in the mid 70s. Which was how it became such a scummy area. I'm afraid Leeds City Council did that to Harehills, although they'd never admit it now.

This is true. What doesnt help with Harehills rep us its location. Its smack bam in between Chapeltown and gipton.

Can I ask if you have any more history on Hare hills and leeds in general coukd you pm me some links. Cheers
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is true. What doesnt help with Harehills rep us its location. Its smack bam in between Chapeltown and gipton.

Can I ask if you have any more history on Hare hills and leeds in general could you pm me some links. Cheers

I use the sites Leodis, and SecretLeeds to find out info.

But that above was just from memory.

Recently I went to look on Google Earth and at the end of the street where grandad's house was, is now just a blank wall.
  • colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Apparently it's the Hyde Park area.