Sherlock - BBC Drama (Part 3)

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiveinabed wrote: »
    Have you met many women?

I'll assume thats a rhetorical question , what's your point ?
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Late to the party but Charles Augustus Magnussen was a fantastic villain. Sad to see him go so soon.

Excellent last episode but overall this series has been the weakest.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did anyone else notice -

when Sherlock gets shot and he's falling backwards it looks like they actually tilted the set because there's pot-plant in the background that slides across the floor !

My guess is that the director recently watched Inception, that's the first thing I thought of when he fell backwards.
  • jimjohn63jimjohn63 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Probably, but without the GPS they wouldn't have known where Sherlock had gone with the laptop.

Was it not the same helicopter ,therefore the same pilot,who's helicopter was it anyway?
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to re-watch to ensure I didn't imagine this, but WTF was the point of fading to black and playing the end credits music for about two seconds after Sherlock flew way, before cutting to grainy interference, then footage of a football before taking us right back into the ep.with Lestrade in the pub? Had the credits actually started to roll before the interference kicked in and then cut straight to Moriarty talking directly to camera, it might have worked in a 'I am now controlling this transmission' way, which I presume was the intent. As it was, it just looked like someone spliced the credits in about five minutes too soon. :confused:
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever met any women?

why do you keep asking posters if they've met any women ? you're sounding like that guy in the "nudge-nudge wink-wink" sketch
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you met many women?

:eek:

*buttons gob* :blush:
    did anyone else notice -

when Sherlock gets shot and he's falling backwards it looks like they actually tilted the set because there's pot-plant in the background that slides across the floor !

Haha! :D

On a totally unrelated note: I read somewhere that during the drunken scene in Baker Street when Sherlock called John "Thing" that Benedict had forgotten his line, but they kept it in. :D I think I could just see Martin trying not to laugh - on reading the back of his head, that is.

*sigh* My mind palace is full to the brim with trivia.
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimjohn63 wrote: »
    Was it not the same helicopter ,therefore the same pilot,who's helicopter was it anyway?

Lol, no it wasn't the same helicopter. It was Cam's helicopter which came to pick up Sherlock and Watson, and a police helicopter in pursuit with Mycroft aboard.
  • jimjohn63jimjohn63 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Lol, no it wasn't the same helicopter. It was Cam's helicopter which came to pick up Sherlock and Watson, and a police helicopter in pursuit with Mycroft aboard.
    Lol I'm no Sherlock am i :)
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you ever met any women?

Yes both in long time relations and in free love. You're right!
    Sorry to the women here; you are hard to follow sometimes :)

Please be gentle with me, i'm just a man! :)

And true she had just been betrayed.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of getting shot at by his fans, this sums up what I hate about Moffat's work. It's all set pieces and dramatic twists and to hell with any realism. If realism gets in the way of Moffat's latest idea then he just ignores it. Examples in yesterday's show:

Holmes and Watson getting access to CAM's office so easily
    And Mary too (no explanation of how she got in)
    Mary shooting Holmes in just the right place so that he doesn't die (even though there's a strong chance he will still die) and Holmes just accepting it
    Mary nearly killing Janine and Holmes just accepting it
    CAM giving away his secret
    No security at CAM's house
    Holmes shooting CAM
    Holmes exiled and is back 4 minutes later
    Yet another person back from the dead
    And probably lots of others I can't remember off hand.

Sure it makes dramatic television, it fools the thick, lazy TV critics and mainstream viewers who let it wash over them, but it doesn't stand up to any sort of scrutiny as in any way realistic.

Has it ever pretended to be anything else? I could sit and pick holes in any drama if I wanted to, and I certainly will if there isn't enough to hold my interest. Sherlock is so entertaining that I don't think about these things while watching it, I just go with it, yes looking back it has flaws, but the main thing is that I had a great time watching it. If that makes me thick, or just a 'mainstream viewer' then I can live with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes both in long time relations and in free love. You're right!
    Sorry to the women here; you are hard to follow sometimes :)

Please be gentle with me, i'm just a man! :)

And true she had just been betrayed.

Men are from Mars and women are from Venus - or something like that. :)
  • somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So harking back to the first ep of his mini series, has Moffat decided not to explain the big fall solution? Other than the three ones shown, I dont remember the actual solution being played out, unless the Sherlock Holmes provided one was the truth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So harking back to the first ep of his mini series, has Moffat decided not to explain the big fall solution? Other than the three theories shown, I don remember the actual solution being played out, bless the Sherlock Holmes provided one was the truth.

I believe the answer to that is given in last night's Q&A session with Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss.
  • somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    I believe the answer to that is given in last night's Q&A session with Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss.

Is the transcript online anywhere?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the transcript online anywhere?

Sorry. :blush: It was linked to earlier in the thread.

Here it is again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pzpgy/live?lb_page=2

:)
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So harking back to the first ep of his mini series, has Moffat decided not to explain the big fall solution? Other than the three ones shown, I dont remember the actual solution being played out, unless the Sherlock Holmes provided one was the truth.

Who knows? I'm thinking there are one of two options...

1) Sherlock's explanation given to Anderson is the last we'll ever hear about it. >:(

2) Moriarty's suicide was fake too and we have yet to see the real story of what happened on the roof. :)
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the risk of getting shot at by his fans, this sums up what I hate about Moffat's work. It's all set pieces and dramatic twists and to hell with any realism. If realism gets in the way of Moffat's latest idea then he just ignores it. Examples in yesterday's show:

Holmes and Watson getting access to CAM's office so easily
    And Mary too (no explanation of how she got in)
    Mary shooting Holmes in just the right place so that he doesn't die (even though there's a strong chance he will still die) and Holmes just accepting it
    Mary nearly killing Janine and Holmes just accepting it
    CAM giving away his secret
    No security at CAM's house
    Holmes shooting CAM
    Holmes exiled and is back 4 minutes later
    Yet another person back from the dead
    And probably lots of others I can't remember off hand.

Sure it makes dramatic television, it fools the thick, lazy TV critics and mainstream viewers who let it wash over them, but it doesn't stand up to any sort of scrutiny as in any way realistic.

You need to talk to the Daily Mirror critic who thinks it's one of the best tv shows ever made !!
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Also Im glad the Mary/John relationship is not going to be a conventional marriage.We get so many detective stories with two male pals and women who are appendages. This is going to be a completely different dynamic i hope.

Yes but this is Sherlock, if they had wanted to introduce another person to complement watson and sherlock, Molly would have been a better choice, rather than Johns ninja wife.

Has john found out her real name yet? :kitty::p
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    Has it ever pretended to be anything else? I could sit and pick holes in any drama if I wanted to, and I certainly will if there isn't enough to hold my interest. Sherlock is so entertaining that I don't think about these things while watching it, I just go with it, yes looking back it has flaws, but the main thing is that I had a great time watching it. If that makes me thick, or just a 'mainstream viewer' then I can live with that.

I wasn't calling you thick, but TV reviewers whose job is actually to analyse programmes. If you're happy with its flaws then fine, I'm sure the vast majority are. But I personally can't stand dramas that are supposed to have a certain level of realism and then drop that realism just for contrived dramatic effect. If no rules apply to fiction then what's the point? Moriarty might just as well have shot himself in the mouth one week and come back next week as if nothing had happened and people not blink an eyelid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Had to re-watch to ensure I didn't imagine this, but WTF was the point of fading to black and playing the end credits music for about two seconds after Sherlock flew way, before cutting to grainy interference, then footage of a football before taking us right back into the ep.with Lestrade in the pub? Had the credits actually started to roll before the interference kicked in and then cut straight to Moriarty talking directly to camera, it might have worked in a 'I am now controlling this transmission' way, which I presume was the intent. As it was, it just looked like someone spliced the credits in about five minutes too soon. :confused:

I think it was deliberate. They've done it before - Sherlock saving 'The Woman' at the end of 'Scandal'.

Was I the only plonker who had their DVD remote in hand for the beginning of last night's episode, and quickly pressed record when the continuity announcer said 'We've set you a conundrum all day today'; and it turned out to be nothing to do with Sherlock but an advert for the Winter Olympics instead. :blush:
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I wasn't calling you thick, but TV reviewers whose job is actually to analyse programs.

I do not quite follow this sentence. Should it say but TV reviewers job is actually to analyze programs?
  • jonm01jonm01 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posted this earlier in the thread but "did you miss me" could infer that Moriarty was actually in one of the episodes somewhere...
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonm01 wrote: »
    Posted this earlier in the thread but "did you miss me" could infer that Moriarty was actually in one of the episodes somewhere...

Well he's been living in Sherlocks Mind Palace, and he's going to be regenerated next series I hear.
  • GreenJadeDragonGreenJadeDragon Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    BIB: I really didn't like that part. (And as someone posted earlier, what would be the reaction if it was a man hitting a woman like that?).

Those slaps were 'Ouch!' and totally out of character for our Molly. Then again, her's wasn't the only OOC characterisation in this series.
    Yes, Molly slapping Sherlock in the lab was the only bit I really disliked. If Sherlock had hit Molly like that, or John hit Mary after discovering the truth about her, the uproar would be horrendous. But apparently it's fine for a women to be violent to a man and they should just take it.

And yet, I have no problem with Sherlock killing Magnussen. Or even John attacking Sherlock in the first episode. I am aware of the double standard......I'm working on it.

Other than that I really enjoyed the episode and this series, and I do like the inclusion of Sherlock's parents and Mary. Controversial views I know! :p