Options

Peru drug mule returns to UK!

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    green855 wrote: »
    What a disgrace she should serve her full sentence. Giving crimnals the green light to smuggle drugs.

I agree like when you go abroad and commit a you should be under their rules and laws even if that is a death sentence or rest of you life in prison when over here you may get a few months to a few years.

Funny thing is some people think when a foreign born person brakes the law here they should be tried under British law and their own laws should not apply (I 100% agree) but at the same time when British person brakes the law abroad they should be tried under British law as they are British citizens (I 100% disagree)
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Might be they don't have an agreement with Ireland but the UK do.

A bit more info here.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/peru-two-melissa-reid-michaella-3130220

She had an Irish passport but she lives in Northern Ireland so I would assume she would be trying to get transferred to a prison in NI rather than Ireland. Not sure how it works but would she need a British passport as well as the Irish one to receive help from the UK or would her being a resident in the UK simply be enough?
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are these drug mules like piñata, all customs have to do is rap them with a stick and all sorts of goodies will spew out.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Any particularly logical reason they're being separated? Seems like a real kick in the teeth for the girl left behind..

Melissa's family had to pay a civil fine for her to be eligible to apply for transfer, I would guess that Michaella's family haven't done the same.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree like when you go abroad and commit a you should be under their rules and laws even if that is a death sentence or rest of you life in prison when over here you may get a few months to a few years.
    Well she was punished under their laws though wasn't she? It's not like anyone is stepping in and overruling the Peruvian government, they have the final say throughout all of this.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have been made to serve every single day of their sentences in Peru. Why should we have to pay for them to have B & B here because that's what it is. They'll be out in the community, taking home leave, getting free dental treatment, counselling, hairdos, manicures, access to education, gyms and swimming - makes me sick!>:(

Before we know it they'll be doing the chat show circuit and claiming they are wonderful, caring people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was sickening enough seeing the simpering Lorraine Kelly with one set of their parents on TV.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    They should have been made to serve every single day of their sentences in Peru. Why should we have to pay for them to have B & B here because that's what it is. They'll be out in the community, taking home leave, getting free dental treatment, counselling, hairdos, manicures, access to education, gyms and swimming - makes me sick!>:(

Before we know it they'll be doing the chat show circuit and claiming they are wonderful, caring people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was sickening enough seeing the simpering Lorraine Kelly with one set of their parents on TV.

So you don't have any domestic criminals in the UK?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Of course but they committed the crime here just as I expect if someone from abroad committed a crime here I would expect them to be punished here if someone from the UK commits a crime abroad I expect them to be punished there.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course but they committed the crime here just as I expect if someone from abroad committed a crime here I would expect them to be punished here if someone from the UK commits a crime abroad I expect them to be punished there.

Your point I can go along with to some extent, but complaining about criminals being treated too well, doesn't have to do with where they're from (or where they committed their crimes), it has to do with the given system.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

I think you've missed the point there. Not unusual for DS.

If you commit a crime abroad and get locked up, the country in which you have committed the crime should pay for your time in jail for the whole sentence. By shipping her back here, UK taxpayers will have to foot the bill for the rest of her sentence. So, if it were down to me, I'd refuse her entry to the UK, until she has completed her sentence in Peru. Essentially, she took the risk and paid the price. Probably the only reason she would be allowed home leave and/or fitted with a tag in the UK is that our prisons are bursting at the seams as it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Scottish Prison Service has said it is considering an application from drugs mule Melissa Reid to serve her sentence in Scotland.

The 20-year-old, from Lenzie near Glasgow, was convicted along with Michaella McCollum, 20, from County Tyrone of smuggling cocaine into Peru.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-26910237
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad she's coming home. It must be a relief for her family.

Why? She's a convicted criminal. But because she's British?
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Why? She's a convicted criminal. But because she's British?
    YES.

Because if she was my daughter I would want to see her, to hug her, to tell her I love her.
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both should serve their time in Peru.

Couldn't give a Friar Tuck about their families.

The British taxpayer should not pay a penny to house these two pieces of lowlife.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Might be they don't have an agreement with Ireland but the UK do.

A bit more info here.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/peru-two-melissa-reid-michaella-3130220

She's from Northern Ireland though rather than ROI isn't she?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    What about the other one? Is she being left in Peru?
    She's being transferred to a prison in the adjacent Perudidurhair :D
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YES.

Because if she was my daughter I would want to see her, to hug her, to tell her I love her.

If she was my daughter I'd want to tell her what an idiot she's been,

Rumour has it the parents have had to remortgage and cash in pensions to deal with all this. Maybe the Great Meldo can repay them out her book deal that will no doubt come given that the general British public seem to worship at the shrine of stupidity and scummy behaviour.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    She's from Northern Ireland though rather than ROI isn't she?

Apparently not originally.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=72067312&postcount=28
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont care how big the allure of money ,,,,,,, you've got to be thick as pig shit to gamble 20yrs of your life away ,,,,,, or even in some country's death .

i bet their cut would have been relatively small too

im quite sure given 15mins with them , i could get in their knickers and sell them london bridge
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Think she was born in NI and can therefore claim both UK and ROI citizenship. Doubt she's ever had UK passport though... but that wouldn't stop her from being able to apply for repatriation to the UK
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So she's going to be repatriated and allowed home with a tag. Don't see the punishment in that, particularly as she had also lied initially about being coerced, when her social media postings (now deleted) strongly suggested she knew exactly what she was doing.

I don't like this attitude that Westerners are never guilty, or somehow less guilty, and should be treated with leniency and sympathy, when convicted of crime abroad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    So she's going to be repatriated and allowed home with a tag. Don't see the punishment in that, particularly as she had also lied initially about being coerced, when her social media postings (now deleted) strongly suggested she knew exactly what she was doing.

I don't like this attitude that Westerners are never guilty, or somehow less guilty, and should be treated with leniency and sympathy, when convicted of crime abroad.
    I dislike the counter-attitude that they are MORE guilty and deserve super-severe punishment for relatively meagre crimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    I dislike the counter-attitude that they are MORE guilty and deserve super-severe punishment for relatively meagre crimes.

Depends where you are from say someone killed someone over here (say a honour killing) or was found with bomb plans then was sent to serve their sentence in their own country and they let off as over there it wasn't considered a crime and by even been seen as a hero by some would you be as happy about that.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with the hopless snp in charge in scotland she'll be out of the clink in a few months time.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so she could be let out for leave, or be let out alltogether, just wearing a tag, bloody hilarious, what an absolute effing disgrace, you just couldn't make it up, the UK is bloody brilliant! :D:D:D