ITV's obsession with launching digital channels

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There two new channels are even more garbage when will they see viewers want more quality and investment in existing services before more channels? Beats me how ITV2 can be worthy of a spin off too.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The viewing figures for some of the shit ITV show begs to differ with your assertion the public wants quality and investment...
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't for the viewers, it's for the advertisers.
    At the moment ITV is having to turn advertisers away because there aren't enough minutes on ITV2 to satisfy demand.
  • radamfiradamfi Posts: 14,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    This isn't for the viewers, it's for the advertisers.
    At the moment ITV is having to turn advertisers away because there aren't enough minutes on ITV2 to satisfy demand.

So why don't they increase the rates, instead of launching new channels?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The viewing figures for some of the shit ITV show begs to differ with your assertion the public wants quality and investment...

Low ratings though surely?

4m watched a doc on cats last night. Cats are big! But not when ITV do it.

BGT is falling falling falling.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you consider ITVs behaviour as a means to ensure that it's executives get their bonuses, all then becomes clear.

They are trying to convince the owners that they are the right people for the job.

It's a marketing exercise, marketing Adam Crozier that is.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The channel itv have launched are on a pay platform thus moving itv to Adam Croziers requirement for itv to be less dependant on advertising revenue,
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would hardly call two new channels obsessive behaviour. Maybe if they launch another.
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The channel itv have launched are on a pay platform thus moving itv to Adam Croziers requirement for itv to be less dependant on advertising revenue,

ITV Be will be free.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITVBe
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITV Encore though just launched on Sky (albeit in preview mode) and is exclusive to Sky at the moment.
    I'm not sure which pack gets you the SD version but the HD version comes with Family pack as a minimum.
    The SD version will ether be with classic or variety pack though, still subscription packs.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    ITV Encore though just launched on Sky (albeit in preview mode) and is exclusive to Sky at the moment.
    I'm not sure which pack gets you the SD version but the HD version comes with Family pack as a minimum.
    The SD version will ether be with classic or variety pack though, still subscription packs.

The advert for ITV Encore describe it as being at no extra cost, but for people without Sky it costs an additional £240 a year. Clearly the economy has turned around and the public are much better off these days.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    The advert for ITV Encore describe it as being at no extra cost, but for people without Sky it costs an additional £240 a year. Clearly the economy has turned around and the public are much better off these days.

That's Sky's advert for ITV Encore, rather than ITV's advert. Sky are supporting this launch as it pushes their subscriptions as well.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    That's Sky's advert for ITV Encore, rather than ITV's advert. Sky are supporting this launch as it pushes their subscriptions as well.

The promo I've seen by ITV I've seen merely says coming soon.

And I'm pretty sure in their negotiations Sky & ITV would have agreed an advertising campaign to promote the channel under the Sky brand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »

The SD version is included in all Sky Bundles, so anything from the £21.50 a month Original Bundle
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV are FREE to launch as many channels as they like unlike BBC:D,
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They`ve trailed Encore like it`s the Second Coming!! Sky launched Atlantic with less fuss. Talk about hype setting up false expectations. I`ve loved the ITV response to media criticism of yet another repeats channel - "We`re repeating Broadchurch so don`t hate on us".

****ing pathetic.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad at least that ITV Encore is already in the EPG. Too often when channels launch the EPG only goes live on the day of the launch making recordings impossible to set up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tempobus wrote: »
    The SD version is included in all Sky Bundles, so anything from the £21.50 a month Original Bundle

Oh yes Original, I called it classic last night opps, anyway I wasnt sure if they were including it in that pack or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad at least that ITV Encore is already in the EPG. Too often when channels launch the EPG only goes live on the day of the launch making recordings impossible to set up.

Thats very true and then you have to frantically check it the day it launches!
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itv's only obsession is (quite rightly) maximising profit and making itself less dependent on advertising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    itv's only obsession is (quite rightly) maximising profit and making itself less dependent on advertising.

You imagine there are punters gagging to PAY for an ITV repeat channel?
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    You imagine there are punters gagging to PAY for an ITV repeat channel?

In the same way as punters are gagging to PAY for BBC repeat channels like UKtv's Gold, Alibi etc. programmes they have already paid for to see advert free through their TV licenses?
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    When will details of ITV's "obsession" for launching new channels be posted?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    In the same way as punters are gagging to PAY for BBC repeat channels like UKtv's Gold, Alibi etc. programmes they have already paid for to see advert free through their TV licenses?
    I can't imagine that many people would choose to pay for those channels, more that they come bundled as part of the base pack. I'm sure lots of people watch these channels from time to time because they are there, but that doesn't mean that they would choose to pay for them.
  • inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Low ratings though surely?

4m watched a doc on cats last night. Cats are big! But not when ITV do it.

BGT is falling falling falling.

I'd have thought 4m for a documentary isnt bad these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the same way as punters are gagging to PAY for BBC repeat channels like UKtv's Gold, Alibi etc.

They`re not though are they? Gold has been part of the basic Sky pack since the nineties.