Does ITV have any news or current affairs staff to sack?

i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
Forum Member
Has ITV given up on any attempt to provide a local news service, it seems to more a regional service with features from outside the local area.

As for current affairs apart from which celeb is having it off with whom on This Morning & Loose Women does ITV have any regular current affairs programme worth watching?

Looking at old TV Listings, there was Weekend World, World In Action and This Week which appeared weekly, Weekend World seems to have been replaced by entertainment shows, World in Action replaced by features on Soap characters and This Week by Emmerdale.

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't ''Tonight'' claim to be a current affairs programme although it is very tabloid.ITV has nothing on the scale of the BBC.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bbc news has been busy stealing itn news staff. Munro, jim grey and penny Marshall being the latest. Still I suppose the bbc can afford to pay them more than the commercial sector can afford. But the bbc is broke isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Doesn't ''Tonight'' claim to be a current affairs programme although it is very tabloid.ITV has nothing on the scale of the BBC.

Yeah right. That must be why they win more awards than the bbc. Wasn't there some Saville story that they made a programme about? Didn't that get rejected by your beloved?
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Bbc news has been busy stealing itn news staff. Munro, jim grey and penny Marshall being the latest. Still I suppose the bbc can afford to pay them more than the commercial sector can afford. But the bbc is broke isn't it?

If they were stolen surely they wouldn't be paid for?

The commercial sector pays far more than the BBC, but there not be so many opportunities.
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »

It doesn't seem to have much impact, in fact I'd forgotten it existed. When you look back at the World In Action & This Week had significant impact, I suppose you include Roger Cook Investigates although he was a bit of a drama queen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    If they were stolen surely they weren't paid for?

The commercial sector pays far more than the BBC, but there not be so many opportunities.

Interesting that the bbc just keeping adding more staff. They positions of Grey, Munro and Marshall were all new positions. nobody left or was made redundant as a result of these hires. So money is no object to the bbc. If they want to create an editor of paper clips they just go right ahead.

Ps I don't need to explain every literal word of my posts to you do I? If you need special assistance in what a metaphor or figure of speech is please pm me so we don't bore everyone else on the thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't seem to have much impact, in fact I'd forgotten it existed. When you look back at the World In Action & This Week had significant impact, I suppose you include Roger Cook Investigates although he was a bit of a drama queen.

No the itv Saville story had no impact did it!
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has ITV given up on any attempt to provide a local news service, it seems to more a regional service with features from outside the local area.

As for current affairs apart from which celeb is having it off with whom on This Morning & Loose Women does ITV have any regular current affairs programme worth watching?

Looking at old TV Listings, there was Weekend World, World In Action and This Week which appeared weekly, Weekend World seems to have been replaced by entertainment shows, World in Action replaced by features on Soap characters and This Week by Emmerdale.

its the BBC currently cutting staff in News and Current affairs

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/03/bbc-cut-600-jobs-news-radio-james-harding?CMP=twt_fd

News on BBC1, BBC2, BBC4 and the News Channel, which are on the whole excellent, current affairs is a shambles, Panorama is a shadow of its former self, following a populist agenda not much better than itv's Tonight, BBC documentaries now are dumbed down to the point they are a joke, the only decent factual output is hidden away on BBC4. Even the once great Question Time includes third rate celebrities and Sports People to try and be trendy and bring in an audience, I half expect Joey Essex to be on the panel sometime soon.
    Forum Member

Calm down, I was referring to the Tonight programme having no impact.
    Forum Member
    yorksdave wrote: »
    its the BBC currently cutting staff in News and Current affairs

This thread is about ITV having no or few staff to sack in their news or current affairs department and explains the reduction or lack of current affairs programming on ITV, local news is nowhere as good as it used to be.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes ITV have given up on news and current affairs. It is a millstone around the necks of itv. They would love to ditch it but they cant due their PSB requirements and they would lose their place high in the epg.

ITV could have some regional structure without comprising their unfied approach. ITV has always been called ITV even when it was regional back in the 70/80s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is about ITV having no or few staff to sack in their news or current affairs department and explains the reduction or lack of current affairs programming on ITV, local news is nowhere as good as it used to be.

Rather than talking down to me, get your facts straight, all you are doing is revealing your own BBC Bias. Currently no new cuts are imminent at itv News, some itv regional magazines (usually the ones with a opt out area) are allowed 10 minutes out of 30 mins none regional originating content.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So to sum it up, basically a stupid thread.

BBC announce staff are to be made redundant and that means that ITV are actually bad because they aren't making staff redundant?

What are you on?
    Forum Member
    Rather than talking down to me, get your facts straight, all you are doing is revealing your own BBC Bias. Currently no new cuts are imminent at itv News, some itv regional magazines (usually the ones with a opt out area) are allowed 10 minutes out of 30 mins none regional originating content.

Bias? I work for the BBC & ITV, Who do you work for?

ITV used to a current affairs team at was Thames for This Week, Granada a team for World in Action, LWT had a team who worked on Weekend World....considerable heavyweight programmes plus regular documentaries.
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    So to sum it up, basically a stupid thread.

BBC announce staff are to be made redundant and that means that ITV are actually bad because they aren't making staff redundant?

What are you on?

What seems to have flown over your head is that ITV don't have anyone to sack because they have few if any current affairs programmes. Maybe your viewing is fulfilled with a dollop of a celeb talking about there sex, medical or financial issues on This Morning or Loose Women but there is a bit more to life than that.

The only current affairs programme has Tonight doesn't seem have had much impact and as another contributor suggested has gone tabloidish. The last one I saw was hung off a someone famous for being racist on a reality show and her slimming pill addiction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ITV used to a current affairs team at was Thames for This Week, Granada a team for World in Action, LWT had a team who worked on Weekend World....considerable heavyweight programmes plus regular documentaries.

I don't work in the media perhaps that's why I am more objective than you, the itv you describe finished in the late nineties, it is not coming back, ever. I accept that itv Current affairs is not what it was, neither is the BBC, but in a multi-channel age should we expect it to be like it was?
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You work for ITV? This site gets stranger by the day.
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Yes ITV have given up on news and current affairs. It is a millstone around the necks of itv. They would love to ditch it but they cant due their PSB requirements and they would lose their place high in the epg.

ITV could have some regional structure without comprising their unfied approach. ITV has always been called ITV even when it was regional back in the 70/80s

Even Lew Grade with his showbiz would invest in what would be considered worthwhile programmes.

Granada had a proud record of documentaries & current affairs, What The Papers ran for years before switching to the BBC.

Thames produced a 26 part series on the Second World War.

Anglia TV got in on documentaries with the Survival series that ran for 40 years.

With the extra money that programmes can generate through sponsors, product placement and competitions I would have thought ITV could give more time and money to current affairs programming, even if it's something like Spitting Image.
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    You work for ITV? This site gets stranger by the day.

Shock horror aren't people allowed to have their own views and express them, would you rather they fitted in stereotype pigeonholes?

So which TV companies employ your services?
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shock horror aren't people allowed to have their own views and express them, would you rather they fitted in stereotype pigeonholes?

So which TV companies employ your services?

People can do what they like, but if I were at ITV I'd hardly be too impressed with someone on the payroll going onto a popular website dealing with broadcasting issues and regularly slagging off the organisation. But to each their own.

No TV company employs my services.
    Forum Member
    I don't work in the media perhaps that's why I am more objective than you, the itv you describe finished in the late nineties, it is not coming back, ever. I accept that itv Current affairs is not what it was, neither is the BBC, but in a multi-channel age should we expect it to be like it was?

So you agree with me about ITV current Affairs is not like what it used to be. What they are currently producing seems pretty lacklustre. ITV Executives are highly paid and I would have thought they could have structured their finances & programming to maintain a reasonable stand of current affairs programmes.

It would seem ITV Executives have taken the money it's saved in regional studios, offices and duplicated staff for themselves in bonuses or paid ridicules sums of money to presenters who frankly aren't above the norm.
    Forum Member
    People can do what they like, but if I were at ITV I'd hardly be too impressed with someone on the payroll going onto a popular website dealing with broadcasting issues and regularly slagging off the organisation. But to each their own.

Who's regularly slagging off the organisation, I'm expressing a well founded opinion as a viewer. Clearly you have not sat in production meetings where ideas may be tossed around, rejected, ridiculed or ripped apart.

Maybe it's people with your notions that led to the phone scams and vote rigging going undetected?

Doesn't the I in ITV stand for Independent, maybe it should be rebranded DTV Dependency TV, dependent on advertisers and don't rock the boat.
    Forum Member

Oh almost forgot....there is a god! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you agree with me about ITV current Affairs is not like what it used to be. What they are currently producing seems pretty lacklustre. ITV Executives are highly paid and I would have thought they could have structured their finances & programming to maintain a reasonable stand of current affairs programmes.

It would seem ITV Executives have taken the money it's saved in regional studios, offices and duplicated staff for themselves in bonuses or paid ridicules sums of money to presenters who frankly aren't above the norm.

You cherry pick parts of my posts, refuse to accept that the BBC is also not producing the quality Current Affairs it once did, continue living in you itv bad , BBC good rose tinted glass viewed world, I will comment no more, as you are not capable been part of a balanced discussion.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

Seeing as it claimed Savile was guilty with no actual evidence and it, by no coincidence I'm sure, didn't examine Savile's time at Granada and Tyne Tees (ITV) befiore he joined the BBC, I'm surprised it had the impact that it did or that people took it seriously. Trial by television is not exactly helpful or useful - look at "Death on the Rock" and what that did to Thames Television!

I'm no defender of Savile, just seeing him turns my stomach, but whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt?