Is Mac now officially better than Windows?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Given it's high price tag and people willing to pay it especially for Mac book laptops if Mac was cheaper would it easily over take Windows?

Comments

• Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'd have a big hill to climb seeing as Windows has roughly a 90% market share.
    Mac's can't even claim the remaining 10% share as Linux has a chunk of that 10% too.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given it's high price tag and people willing to pay it especially for Mac book laptops if Mac was cheaper would it easily over take Windows?

Let's not forget, Mac share of installed base in the PC market is similar to Windows Phone's share in the mobile market.

Macs benefit from the halo effect of iOS. They've also been coming down in price over time, especially the Air models and are already price-competitive with Windows.

Your thinking has some fallacies:
    1) Assuming Macs would maintain the same quality if they lowered in price
    2) Thinking Apple would bother doing that
    3) Macs are still tremendously niche in enterprise and will remain that way for years to come

Threshold may help to cause a Windows resurgence.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd have a big hill to climb seeing as Windows has roughly a 90% market share.
    Mac's can't even claim the remaining 10% share as Linux has a chunk of that 10% too.

I wonder how many browse the web with Windows now rather than a phone/tablet. I'm sure I read somewhere Windows is well down and a larger majority browse with phones/tablets now?
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    For Mac to be dominant it would need to take on the business market- I can't ever see it happening because private / public organisation's (especially large ones) are risk averse. The SME's could take it but not large workplaces.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on your definition of "better". Mac OSX is inherently more secure than Windows but an ignorant user can still get himself into trouble.

Mac hardware is generally more aesthetically pleasing than other hardware (if you care).

Mac software apps now number in the hundreds of thousands - if not millions - but there's less choice. For example, the only optical disc software worth having is "Roxio Toast" and compares favourably with "Nero" for Windows. But, for Mac users, there's hardly any decent alternative. "Burn" is OK (and still free AFAIK) but doesn't do half of what "Toast" does.

Macs are far less customisable so you might end up paying a LOT to get exactly the hardware you need.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on your definition of "better". Mac OSX is inherently more secure than Windows but an ignorant user can still get himself into trouble.

Mac hardware is generally more aesthetically pleasing than other hardware (if you care).

Mac software apps now number in the hundreds of thousands - if not millions - but there's less choice. For example, the only optical disc software worth having is "Roxio Toast" and compares favourably with "Nero" for Windows. But, for Mac users, there's hardly any decent alternative. "Burn" is OK (and still free AFAIK) but doesn't do half of what "Toast" does.

Macs are far less customisable so you might end up paying a LOT to get exactly the hardware you need.

I disagree, there's some lovely Windows machines , it's just most people will buy cheap Windows laptops and those in the market to spend more are a small percentage like a few % that buy Macbooks or high end Windows Laptops like the one above the Sony Vaio and others. That end of the market is small on both sides and Apple only have something like 5% of the laptop and desktop market, like the 5% that buy high end Windows machines.

The other 90% of the market wants more budget systems and won't justify the extra cost for the metal finish etc.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I disagree, there's some lovely Windows machines ,
    I stated "generally" - implying "not all".

However, the laptop that you've linked to is simply a copy of Apple's MacBook.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I think we should all come out and officially state which OS is the best so all those fanbois who champion each one can shout "In your face, asshole" and give themselves the hug of smug. ;)
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Mac OS better than Windows? The short answer from my experience is - no!

Mac OS X has many plus points, but it has a file manager/explorer (Finder) that is embarrassing. If that thing crashes and it does often with a variety of bugs, it can take your whole system with it. Not to mention the garbage it leaves behind when you browse folders (eg. hidden .DS_Store files everywhere). Needs an urgent rethink, but hasn't changed much in over 10 years.

I got a Mac originally for video editing with Final Cut, but I much prefer to use Adobe Premiere Pro on the PC nowadays instead. It's less buggy and the hardware was cheaper. The output video quality is also better on similar settings.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My teenage daughters have a laptop. They prefer their smartphones.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My self and almost all my friends have dumped Windows over the last 3 years and we are Mac users now. I cannot see my self ever getting a non Mac Laptop now, they are just so worth the extra money, years ago i hated macs , but then i actually got one and you do start to notice all the little things that make them better. It really is not just about the specs, (and yes they come with the higher end processors, so aint lacking in that department), but the gesture trackpad, the magsafe power adaptor, the nice soft backlit keypad, light weight, slim and really long life battery. Plus the bonus of not booting up to see Windows fu*king update again. Once you get one and use it day in day out you really do start to see how bad Windows is and the crap hardware that some manufactures pump out.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mac OS X has many plus points, but it has a file manager/explorer (Finder) that is embarrassing.

I hate finder too, one issue I have is you can't search for an applications in your list from finder, it seems to bring up all search items and takes you off applications automatically when you search. It won't let you click in a list and then type a letter and take you to that place in the list. You can't select files and press the delete button, you've got to mess about going 'right click' 'move to trash'.

On the desktop the Mac won't space out desktop icons for you they just get freely dropped anywhere. When you use multi monitors and I unplug applications literally disappear and are almost impossible to get back. You quit and open again, but they open again tiny and hidden on the screen you unplugged until you mess about changing resolution or re-plugging in the screen you removed. Windows remembers the size and location of each program independently and re-launches it in the same place, the Mac doesn't.

Copy and paste between some applications in the mac is frustrating between command and the mouse clipboards as with some applications it is intermittent and seems to have an odd clipboard depending on if you use the context menu or the command key. All the simple picture viewers and editors are horrible that come with the mac, give me simple paint and the image viewer on Windows any day for very simple operations. I prefer the snipping tool in Windows to CMD Shift 4 and then having to take the image it saved, re-open and copy etc, the snipping tool is much better.

There are other minor things too, but I would say they both have their upsides and downsides. Both are generally stable and reliable for me, although both have had their crashes or issues just as much, Apple certainly isn't completely immune from issues. I'm happy on both platforms, Apple at work and Windows at home for me, so I get hours of use out of each platform most days and I'm happy with both and wouldn't change to Apple at home or back to a Windows machine at work out of choice.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it'll be mostly Windows snobs who'll always buy MacBooks and iMacs. It'll probably be a case of some forking out loads for a MacBook and then thinking, yeah, I'm part of the club now. Something like that anyway.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think it'll be mostly Windows snobs who'll always buy MacBooks and iMacs. It'll probably be a case of some forking out loads for a MacBook and then thinking, yeah, I'm part of the club now. Something like that anyway.

And then there's the posers who buy Macs just because they want to look cool in Starbucks. A lot of those posers would probably end up running Windows on their Macs because they don't know how the Mac OS works but owning a Mac is a status symbol. I know a couple of people like that.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    It's a completely polarising question. Those that use either will not admit that the other is as good as or better than the other.
    It just brings out the worst in people that usually have something helpful and intelligent to say. For some reason it renders both sides incapable of either.
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me; yes.

Officially; no.

There you go. Next thread... :p
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    And then there's the posers who buy Macs just because they want to look cool in Starbucks. A lot of those posers would probably end up running Windows on their Macs because they don't know how the Mac OS works but owning a Mac is a status symbol. I know a couple of people like that.

It's funny how old arguments like these still live on despite the fact the Mac vs. PC debate is quickly becoming about as relevant as VHS vs. Betamax. :D

Anyway I was a Windows user from Windows 3.1 right through to Windows Vista owning countless desktops and laptops. I got my first Mac in 2009. I hated the thing for three or four months because everything was so alien to me and my workflows in Windows were almost useless. But as I gradually learned to do things the Mac way, I learned to appreciate the OS, its unix underpinnings, and now I find using Windows painful (even though I still have a Dell around for testing purposes).

That said, if I didn't put in the time to learn to use a Mac properly - I can easily imagine myself being one of those people running Windows solely on an expensive Mac - at least until I bought my next computer.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mac is hardware, Windows is software. Windows and OSX can both be run on the same systems. What exactly are you trying to stir up, OP?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac's will never take over windows since apple doesn't want the business sector as it's too cut throat in price where even a few pound price difference can make or break a contract when you're talking about 50,000 machines and thats before we go into having to support stuff for a 'long' time such as windows still supports 16bit programs from the 3.1 days to a point as businesses are notoriously slow at changing things

Apple does want the more domestic market as its got a higher churn as people will accept that the phone they brought last week is already out of date and will gladly pony up another 500 quid to stay current especially with apple as you can't be seen in starbucks on a 2012 macbook as you'll be seen as ancient
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    , the only optical disc software worth having is "Roxio Toast" and compares favourably with "Nero" for Windows. But, for Mac users, there's hardly any decent alternative. "Burn" is OK (and still free AFAIK) but doesn't do half of what "Toast" does..

Thats hardly supprising as none of the current range of Mac's have optical drives
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, when you compare a typical Windows laptop that costs around £200 with an Apple laptop that costs at least 4 times as much you will come to an astonishing conclusion that Apple laptop is indeed better.
  • Leathertrouser2Leathertrouser2 Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Simple answer no. I have always been a Windows man and always be. Whilst the Apple has made some inroads in to business, your supermarket checkout, your doctors, your Police all still use Windows and rightly so.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mac OS X has many plus points, but it has a file manager/explorer (Finder) that is embarrassing. If that thing crashes and it does often with a variety of bugs, it can take your whole system with it. Not to mention the garbage it leaves behind when you browse folders (eg. hidden .DS_Store files everywhere). Needs an urgent rethink, but hasn't changed much in over 10 years.

I got a Mac originally for video editing with Final Cut, but I much prefer to use Adobe Premiere Pro on the PC nowadays instead. It's less buggy and the hardware was cheaper. The output video quality is also better on similar settings.

I honestly don't remember ever having finder crash by itself, a few photoshop crashes when implementing complex effects on large files and that's about it with any regularity. But then again I can say pretty much the same for my win7 setup. I think it's down to keeping up to date with the housekeeping rather than which OS.

Also I find nothing wrong with finder except on rare occations maybe the search isn't as configarable as I would like. People are always saying this and saying it's because they want to do XYZ and I just think 'why would I want to do that'. (Easyfind gets me all the search power I need if I cant be bothered to use terminal and type "find -iname 'query' ")

However, back on topic, couldn't care less which other people consider better. I prefer Mac OS, maybe cause I've used it as my main OS for over 25 years and am used to the Mac UI philosophy. I expect that's similarly true for those who prefer windows.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's got the power of BSD under the hood. Much better than windows. I switched to a mac 6 years ago, never had any bugs which cause a system crash like the one you mention. I'm not battling with it everyday, and it's a much more pleasant experience. I would like to switch over to linux full time, but I can't find a suitable laptop. Thinkpads seem to have gone down the drain. Shame because I quite like the design, they're very sturdy.
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    I honestly don't remember ever having finder crash by itself, a few photoshop crashes when implementing complex effects on large files and that's about it with any regularity. But then again I can say pretty much the same for my win7 setup. I think it's down to keeping up to date with the housekeeping rather than which OS.

Also I find nothing wrong with finder except on rare occations maybe the search isn't as configarable as I would like. People are always saying this and saying it's because they want to do XYZ and I just think 'why would I want to do that'. (Easyfind gets me all the search power I need if I cant be bothered to use terminal and type "find -iname 'query' ")

It was usually quite easy to kill Finder and thus anything that relied upon it. Connect to a network share, start accessing files & copying files etc, then disconnect or reboot the network computer (whilst Finder is idle). Sometimes Finder would notice and inform you it's disconnected, other times it would just hang forever.

It would often do the same with dirty/damaged optical media, even blocking the Eject command as Finder is still "using" it.