Options

Abi's persona

Looking at a few sites especially the BBC board which I get banned from quite often,I sometimes wonder if people can actually see past their own nose. At the beginning of the show I may have had a preconceived notion that Abi might not be much more then a wag/model with nothing about her. I do try where I can not to prejudge. Sometimes though we can not help it.

After the last few weeks and seeing her reactions , I have come to the conclusion that even though she must get told how beautiful she is and so on, this girl can NOT take a compliment. It doesn't come natural to her at all. She isn't aloof ,doesn't come across like she better then everyone else, her embarrassment at good scores comes across so blatantly why do people not see this? Yes she flicks her hair, same as some have a nervous tell, stuttering, twitching... and so on.

Find my self increasingly wanting to go off on one at some of the nasty personal things people say about her. last night been the worst after her high scores (maybe she was over scored) but so were most of the other contestants, its Blackpool and every strictly fan knows that's what happens at Blackpool, No surprise there.

Am I the only who thinks she's actually a really good dancer? lol:o

Comments

• Options
    Jackster31Jackster31 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that Abby is a really good dancer and she has great (if not the best) chemistry with Aljaz...
    She's improving every week, but I think that the scores were a bit too high last night. There was a lot of gapping, she was obviously very nervous during the whole performance and afterwards she just seemed lost somehow. I think it is genuine shyness and not knowing what to do with herself when she got those high scores, maybe because she didn't think it was right/she was worthy, idk...

Having said all this I do feel she is quite a simple soul and I don't mean that in an insulting way, but at times she seems a few sandwiches short of a picnic. She leads a glamorous life sure, but I don't see any real intellectual baggage there what so ever. She loves her family and her little baby means the world to her and that's what's important. She doesn't pretend to be anything else than that.

I like her and she and Aljaz are my favourite couple. Hope they make the finals, but seeing the backlash she's getting from viewers and forum members I doubt they'll get there let alone lift the trophy...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Jackster31 wrote: »
    I agree that Abby is a really good dancer and she has great (if not the best) chemistry with Aljaz...
    She's improving every week, but I think that the scores were a bit too high last night. There was a lot of gapping, she was obviously very nervous during the whole performance and afterwards she just seemed lost somehow. I think it is genuine shyness and not knowing what to do with herself when she got those high scores, maybe because she didn't think it was right/she was worthy, idk...

Having said all this I do feel she is quite a simple soul and I don't mean that in an insulting way, but at times she seems a few sandwiches short of a picnic. She leads a glamorous life sure, but I don't see any real intellectual baggage there what so ever. She loves her family and her little baby means the world to her and that's what's important. She doesn't pretend to be anything else than that.

I like her and she and Aljaz are my favourite couple. Hope they make the finals, but seeing the backlash she's getting from viewers and forum members I doubt they'll get there let alone lift the trophy...

You said it much better then me :)
    She wasn't my fav, I was gung ho fpr Sophie & Brendan, but she really has proved to be a delight on the dance floor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said, sunf. I think she is a terrific dancer. And I like the fact that she cannot force a smile - it's all genuine, or nothing. And she is so funny too.

What is it with these working-class girls, with their 'natural talent', as Len describes it? Chelsee Healey was the same, with the same sort of background, and turning out to have amazing natural rhythm and oodles of talent just like Abbey.

Of course both are hard workers. Abbey looked unwell last night when in front of the judges, her face was slightly swollen and flushed like she had 'flu or something - but there were no complaints from her. And yet people here endlessly criticise her. I can only conclude that they envy her astonishing beauty - and her wonderful talent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chantal wrote: »
    Well said, sunf. I think she is a terrific dancer. And I like the fact that she cannot force a smile - it's all genuine, or nothing. And she is so funny too.

What is it with these working-class girls, with their 'natural talent', as Len describes it? Chelsee Healey was the same, with the same sort of background, and turning out to have amazing natural rhythm and oodles of talent just like Abbey.

Of course both are hard workers. Abbey looked unwell last night when in front of the judges, her face was slightly swollen and flushed like she had 'flu or something - but there were no complaints from her. And yet people here endlessly criticise her. I can only conclude that they envy her astonishing beauty - and her wonderful talent.

Yes I remember people been equally nasty about her too, shame really it shows a a darker side to those peoples nature and probably says more about them then the person they are knocking down.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunf wrote: »
    Looking at a few sites especially the BBC board which I get banned from quite often,I sometimes wonder if people can actually see past their own nose. At the beginning of the show I may have had a preconceived notion that Abi might not be much more then a wag/model with nothing about her. I do try where I can not to prejudge. Sometimes though we can not help it.

After the last few weeks and seeing her reactions , I have come to the conclusion that even though she must get told how beautiful she is and so on, this girl can NOT take a compliment. It doesn't come natural to her at all. She isn't aloof ,doesn't come across like she better then everyone else, her embarrassment at good scores comes across so blatantly why do people not see this? Yes she flicks her hair, same as some have a nervous tell, stuttering, twitching... and so on.

Find my self increasingly wanting to go off on one at some of the nasty personal things people say about her. last night been the worst after her high scores (maybe she was over scored) but so were most of the other contestants, its Blackpool and every strictly fan knows that's what happens at Blackpool, No surprise there.

Well said OP :). I pretty much agree with everything you said :):)
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackster31 wrote: »

Her and Aljaz are my favorites :). I know that she won't win but I want her to get at least to the finale
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chantal wrote: »

Undeniably beautiful girl ( the cosmetically enhanced mouth not so much). Abbey is a wonderful dancer, but I truly hate the way she flicks her hair and pouts and seems so vain. :(:mad:I don't dislike her but wish she would dispense with those affectations. Sadly, it's a major turn off for me.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Undeniably beautiful girl ( the cosmetically enhanced mouth not so much). Abbey is a wonderful dancer, but I truly hate the way she flicks her hair and pouts and seems so vain. :(:mad:I don't dislike her but wish she would dispense with those affectations. Sadly, it's a major turn off for me.

I read a couple of references to a lop-sided lip last night, which the same people were assuming to be a botched Botox job. I didn't notice it myself, but isn't it more likely, if it were indeed lop-sided, that she caught a smack in the mouth while dancing?

That would certainly be my assumption, but then I don't have a bitchy nature.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be stepping into a parallell universe. I thought her name is Abbey? Not Abi or Aby or Abby???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read a couple of references to a lop-sided lip last night, which the same people were assuming to be a botched Botox job. I didn't notice it myself, but isn't it more likely, if it were indeed lop-sided, that she caught a smack in the mouth while dancing?

That would certainly be my assumption, but then I don't have a bitchy nature.

Ouch, :eek:now I could construe your last sentence as being very biatchy...big time.. but I'll just have to take your word that you're not. :)
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be stepping into a parallell universe. I thought her name is Abbey? Not Abi or Aby or Abby???

This ^^^
  • Options
    KatenutzsKatenutzs Posts: 2,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch, :eek:now I could construe your last sentence as being very biatchy...big time.. but I'll just have to take your word that you're not. :)

well thought out reply :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katenutzs wrote: »

What's with the roll eyes:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lovely post. I agree, I was prepared for Abby to be stuck up and useless really but she has delighted me with her naivety and her lack of pretension. She dances beautifully, floating around like a little fairy. I love her and I don't know why. She's just a really natural girl and she doesn't seem to have a competitive streak in her. She always looks pleased when the other dancers have done well. I like watching her move, her facial expressions make me feel happy and I just want to see her do really, really well. :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Say hi to Dr Who
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Say hi to Dr Who

:D:D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sheikaman wrote: »
    Lovely post. I agree, I was prepared for Abby to be stuck up and useless really but she has delighted me with her naivety and her lack of pretension. She dances beautifully, floating around like a little fairy. I love her and I don't know why. She's just a really natural girl and she doesn't seem to have a competitive streak in her. She always looks pleased when the other dancers have done well. I like watching her move, her facial expressions make me feel happy and I just want to see her do really, really well. :D:D:D

She makes me feel happy, not many of them do that. It's nice to see people can see past her looks :D
  • Options
    PoenaPoena Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Abbey, too.

I had no idea what she'd be like nor did I have any preconceptions about it. All I knew was that she's married to Peter Crouch and is a model of some description.

I've found her to be disarmingly sweet, slightly ditsy and a little bit vulnerable. She makes me feel all maternal. :)

I don't give a toss if she does flicky things with her hair and checks out her reflection at regular intervals. A lot of girlies do that, especially those that are not quite sure of themselves. Oh - I like her accent, too, but then I like all regional accents.

I can't see her winning somehow - she's a very nice, graceful dancer and has a good partnership with Aljaz but I don't think she can offer quite enough on either the dancing or the partnership front to win. I'd expect - and hope - that she'll be in the final, though. :)
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Abbey. She's a good dancer & very likeable.
    She's quite vulnerable & I hope she gets to the final.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Touche :)

(You didn't answer my question though)
    Katenutzs wrote: »

It certainly put me in my place, and rightly so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Touche :)

(You didn't answer my question though)

It certainly put me in my place, and rightly so.

Smokey, really like Abbey as a dancer...she's utterly gorgeous and never more so than last night...that dress was to die for:o Anyway, her mannerisims just annoy me a tad..I probably need to get over myself.:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I like her and think she's turning into a lovely dancer. I doubt she will win as she doesn't seem massively popular but I hope she reaches the final.

What I don't get is all the swooning over Aljaz. Nice guy but for me not fanciable at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Vain?? Do you know what that word means? Because Abbey is not vain. At the start she described herself as "a big old bag" - how on earth can she say that and be described as vain?

No, if she flicks her hair it is because she feels ugly, she is that much lacking in confidence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    I like her and think she's turning into a lovely dancer. I doubt she will win as she doesn't seem massively popular but I hope she reaches the final.

What I don't get is all the swooning over Aljaz. Nice guy but for me not fanciable at all.

I think he is very attractive,:o if I was to compare and contrast, I would say he is way more fanciable (sic) than Artem...those false gnashers leave me cold.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I think he is very attractive,:o if I was to compare and contrast, I would say he is way more fanciable (sic) than Artem...those false gnashers leave me cold.:(

Hah! Artem doesn't do it for me either, fantastic dancer though. If I had to choose, it would have to be Pasha. :D