Served Chicken instead of Cheese - Nandos

Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531093/I-feel-like-not-body-anymore-Vegetarians-outrage-going-Nandos-served-chicken-mistake.html

'I feel like it is not my body anymore': Devastated vegetarian ate meat for the first time in her life - after Nando's served her chicken by mistake
Roshni Barot ordered grilled halloumi cheese pitta at Nando's restaurant
She ate most of her chicken pitta without realising what it was
She was so distraught she tried to make herself sick when she got home

Ms Barot, of Tividale, West Midlands, said: 'I wasn’t paying attention as I was talking with my friend.

'I never would have thought that I would need to double-check my food. I trusted them and they have let me down. I was in shock and started crying in the restaurant. I cried all night and couldn’t sleep.'

Ms Barot grew up in a Hindu household where none of the family eats meat.

She was so distraught after eating the chicken she unsuccessfully tried to make herself sick when she got home.

She was also still distressed the next day and was allowed to go home early from her job as placements officer at the University of Birmingham.

The manager at the restaurant apologised and offered her vouchers for another meal, which she refused.

She said: 'They can never say or do anything to make this up to me. Nothing can compensate me for those 28 years.

A Nando’s spokesman said: 'We deeply regret that a customer was mistakenly served a chicken pitta instead of the halloumi pitta ordered.

'Nando’s has the utmost respect for all our customers’ eating choices and this was an honest - and extremely rare - mistake which the restaurant are extremely sorry about.

'We are currently in contact with the customer and have offered our sincere apologies and are investigating how this has happened to ensure it doesn’t happen again.'

is this 'first world problems' or is she right to be so upset?

In my view, I would say, she has the right be upset, but really? don't you look at your food before you eat it?

Comments

• Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the big deal with Nandos? It's like it suddenly got super popular overnight. I've never even been in one...should I feel like I'm missing something?

Anyway, hilarious story. :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It is rather stupid if a person can't tell the difference between cheese and meat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In my view, I would say, she has the right be upset, but really? don't you look at your food before you eat it?

Should have been paying attention.

Also - what kind of vegetarian is she where she can't tell chicken from haloumi cheese? Not a very good one, surely.
  • somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That'll Be Nandos, the predominantly CHICKEN serving restaurant? Not Nandos, the vegetarian, meat free, organic food emporium. Thought not.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never had meat inside her before-lies.

Pretty sure she gets meat and two veg from her oh on a regular basis, stupid pretentious spoiled brat.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    As a vegetarian myself I can understand how she feels

I once ordered a vegetarian pizza and then after eating a slice found it had got ham in it I spent rest of the night throwing up that put me off pizza for about 5 years
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    "Nothing can compensate me for those 28 years"?
    Is that how long she spent eating her pitta wrap?

She'll live. Accidental consumption doesn't make you any less of a vegetarian. Mark it down as joint error and move on.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it worrying that such an idiot works in a university. She will have influence over far too many people. :(
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That'll Be Nandos, the predominantly CHICKEN serving restaurant? Not Nandos, the vegetarian, meat free, organic food emporium. Thought not.

This

Stay out of chicken restaurants if you don't want to be around or accidentally eat chicken. Wouldn't the sight and smell of hundreds of whole chickens being grilled offend them anyway?
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over-reaction much.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt she's preparing a big compo claim as we speak
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised she wasn't sick. My dad is a veggie and once I saw him eat a chicken vol au vent at a buffet by mistake, and he was horrendously ill. Another veggie friend of mine was also very ill after eating a veggie burger that had been cooked on the same bbq that meat had been cooked on.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel for her as she obviously feels she has compromised herself by eating meat.
    The thing is she ate it unintentionally so she has to comes to terms with that, it is not like she ate it on purpose.
    It is big deal to eat meat if within your belief you do not eat it.

My cynical hat comes on though when stuff like this gets in to the press.
    Anyone know how it got media coverage?
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'd eaten most of it before she realised it wasn't cheese. Really?
    I find it staggeringly difficult to credit.

Yes, Nando's should have served her what she ordered, so they were in error. But she should have known by the smell, never mind the first bite, that what she'd been served was absolutely not halloumi.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a little madam.

Is anyone else craving a chicken and cheese sandwich now?
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is she really a vegetarian or did she just spot an opportunity when she discovered she received the wrong order?

And yes I'm very cynical. Especially when it comes to the Daily Mail.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    If one day this silly woman is unfortunate enough to watch someone slowly die of cancer, she will learn the real meaning of the word 'devastating'.

Anyway, Nandos is known to be a predominantly CHICKEN restaurant, even their symbol is a chicken, surely with her severe views on meat eating, she maybe should have kept away from such places.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I'm a vegetarian and this is one of my big worries about eating at restaurants. I can assure you it's not "hilarious"- it's a choice we make and it'd be awful to feel that had been broken.

I blame the girl in the story, though. She should have checked before she started eating (I do that before every restaurant meal- only once have I been served meat inadvertently) and it's not as if haloumi and chicken share much in common!
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand why she's upset, but I think it's a bit of an over-reaction. I'm also siding with the other posters who question her not being able to tell the difference between chicken and cheese - different taste, different smell, different texture.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a vegetarian so struggle to understand how she would feel about eating meat, I do feel sorry for her but think her reaction is over the top. I would expect that sort of reaction from a vegan and not a vegetarian. I do think food places need to be more careful about what they give people.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I can understand why she's upset, but I think it's a bit of an over-reaction. I'm also siding with the other posters who question her not being able to tell the difference between chicken and cheese - different taste, different smell, different texture.

To be fair, both chicken and halloumi are mostly flavourless chewy things, and doused with peri-peri, the flavour of the underlying filling is lost anyway.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel it must be to do with her faith.
    Certain Hindus do not eat meat at all, others do.
    I can understand her being so upset if this is the case.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If one day this silly woman is unfortunate enough to watch someone slowly die of cancer, she will learn the real meaning of the word 'devastating'.

Anyway, Nandos is known to be a predominantly CHICKEN restaurant, even their symbol is a chicken, surely with her severe views on meat eating, she maybe should have kept away from such places.

Agreed.

Bet you she has no qualms about tasting her hubby's meat.:D
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of what she ordered, the irony of her having chosen to dine in an establishment that bases its entire existence on killing millions of chickens has escaped her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One one hand I cannot understand how she was able to almost finish her meal without realising she is eating chicken. Even if she couldn't taste the difference there are so many other differences between chicken and cheese?

On the other hand I can understand why she would be upset especially if it is something she feels so strongly about.

Personally I do have to question her motivation for going to the press but that may just be the cynic in me;-).