Options

Pc Nutters ruining classic tv reruns

Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
Forum Member
Listening , to debate today, about the amount of programmes that have been edited , or cut or even Dropped in some cases altogether , among list of programmes the pc Nutters have objected to are

OFAH
Porridge
fawlty towers
TOTP
Man about house
Minder
Sweeney
professionals

what would they have made of classics like
love thy neighbour
black white minstrel show
Steptoe

Whats worse is according to survey all those complaining the majority of those are U30 , so how would they know what these classics were like seeing most are about 30+ Years old , wouldn't buy any Dvd remakes now because so much will be taken out
Glad I grew up when you watch these classics without having bits cut out ,and you could laugh at whatever without it upsetting anybody, and if it did the answer is simple if offend don't watch

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see how C5 handled the potentially-tricky name of Guy Gibson's dog in its recent screening of The Dambusters.

These are programmes/films of their time, they reflect attitudes, language and morals of their times and are important social documents.There is no need to be repeating them frequently but when they are repeated they should be left intact (albeit shown with a warning for the faint hearted).
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    You make it sound like these episodes have been hacked and edited within an inch of their lives, so much so they become unrecognisable.

Mountain out of a molehill.

What is this survey you mentioned?
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Bit sorry that they cannot show like 'Love Thy Neighbour' which was racist - but the white guy suffered in the end! Bless This house was a bit sexist, and Rising Damp was - ooh well, sexist AND racist!
    The Seventies and eighties proved too right about equality!! We are too FRIGHTENED to say anything this day and age for being accused of being of being 'the above!!'.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    The BBC shelved repeats of Bergerac because one of the buildings that sometimes appears as a police station in the show used to be (before filming the series) a kids' home where some kids were abused.

And then there's photoshopping cigarettes out of the mouths/hands of people in old photos...
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    And poor old Tom and Jerry are not immune.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man About the House leapt out for me because it's a favourite and looking back I thought it was pretty progressive for the time. Think I know the reason for, probably very small, edits as at the start Robin could only stay with the girls because Roper was convinced that he was gay. But that obviously wasn't the term used.

btw, PC Nutters used to do the beat in my area in the Seventies. Looked a bit scary, but he was actually quite a nice, inclusive sort of bloke.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    I used to love Till Death Us Do Part in the 1960's and 1970's. Unfortunately alot of those episodes where wiped clean with only a few episodes now left in the BBC archives.
    Ian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Interesting to see how C5 handled the potentially-tricky name of Guy Gibson's dog in its recent screening of The Dambusters.
    I recall that the dog's name wasn't censored when the film was shown on New Year's Day 2013.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happily most seem to be able to recognise the brilliance of Blazing Saddles and feature it regularly on their schedules. Warner Brothers in the 70's tried not to release it when they saw it but had a contractual obligation to distribute it which is fortunate as it became the highest grossing Western of all time!
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunhillpc1 wrote: »
    I recall that the dog's name wasn't censored when the film was shown on New Year's Day 2013.

.... and it wasn't censored at all when the film was shown last weekend either which rather surprised me as I thought it was an unwritten rule that it could no longer be shown unedited
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happily most seem to be able to recognise the brilliance of Blazing Saddles and feature it regularly on their schedules. Warner Brothers in the 70's tried not to release it when they saw it but had a contractual obligation to distribute it which is fortunate as it became the highest grossing Western of all time!

Wavejock Johnson is right! ra rum!
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wavejock Johnson is right! ra rum!

Indeed..... I love that authentic frontier gibberish.....

The whole town was called Johnston if I remember rightly!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    .... and it wasn't censored at all when the film was shown last weekend either which rather surprised me as I thought it was an unwritten rule that it could no longer be shown unedited

Indeed.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I used to love Till Death Us Do Part in the 1960's and 1970's. Unfortunately alot of those episodes where wiped clean with only a few episodes now left in the BBC archives.
    Ian.

It's very 1984 and us being at war with Eastasia, having always been at war with Eastasia.

I'm not saying that they should just show anything regardless, but pretending that such programmes never existed is worse.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    You make it sound like these episodes have been hacked and edited within an inch of their lives, so much so they become unrecognisable.

Mountain out of a molehill.

What is this survey you mentioned?
    Debate on t.v. Last week about tv today and yesterday on 5live
    And due to the content and possible music? A number of DVD releases have recently been shelved, and believe it or not it'd better to get old vhs of minder, ofah etc than the dvd box sets and they twon't be edited out,
    Went to a film fair today and chatting to a DVD markey seller, and he says he sells more vhs dl on to DVD albeit bootleg than actual DVDs because all hid customers ask if it's been edited I don't want it, worse thing about this is bootlegs will flood markets sales etc, whilst the actors actress, Won't get anything out of it, and some actors are even trying to stop reruns of their shows if their are edited
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I asked ITV3 about rerunning the Doctor series, seeing they were flogging On The Buses to death at the time, but they won't now, as it's too unPC now.

Isn't On The Buses just as bad?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My point exactly, there was no reason to ''censor'' it. In the past the name has either been revoiced or the sound dipped at the relevant moment. The dog's name was also used as a coded signal that bombs had been dropped. If anyone is interested his grave can still be viewed at the entrance to RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire, home of The Dambusters.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very 1984 and us being at war with Eastasia, having always been at war with Eastasia.

I'm not saying that they should just show anything regardless, but pretending that such programmes never existed is worse.
    Nobody is trying to pretend those programmes never existed. The issue is that they are products of their time.

I'm strongly against censorship, as long as such programmes are shown in an adult timeslot with appropriate content warnings. However, what may have been appropriate as early evening family entertainment in another era is not necessarily appropriate to be shown in that timeslot today. Social mores change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the content s not really acceptable in 2014.

I imagine most posters on here demanding they be played in their full, uncut & unedited glory are probably not of the gender/racial makeup/sexual orientation of the subjects being portrayed negatively in those shows
  • Options
    scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it gets allowed cos Guy Gibson was a street rat from the hood and pronounced the word **** so it is perfectly acceptable!;-)
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody is trying to pretend those programmes never existed. The issue is that they are products of their time.

I'm strongly against censorship, as long as such programmes are shown in an adult timeslot with appropriate content warnings. However, what may have been appropriate as early evening family entertainment in another era is not necessarily appropriate to be shown in that timeslot today. Social mores change.

I think deleting them from the archives is pretty much the same as trying to get rid of the fact that they ever existed in the first place.

It gets rid of the problem altogether, which I think is a bad idea.

I would still show them, but not just to be controversial. I agree that the time of broadcast would need some careful thought and a warning beforehand would be appropriate.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think deleting them from the archives is pretty much the same as trying to get rid of the fact that they ever existed in the first place.

It gets rid of the problem altogether, which I think is a bad idea.

I would still show them, but not just to be controversial. I agree that the time of broadcast would need some careful thought and a warning beforehand would be appropriate.
    Has anything actually been deleted from the archives, though? The original uncut masters of most of the programmes mentioned in the OP still survive. It's just that the copies in current circulation have been censored.

Have any of the DVD releases been censored? The censorship of OFAH is mainly due to the BBC being short-sighted when using copyright-protected music and not acquiring the rights to use that music in future commercial releases.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It's annoying when shows like OFAH and Fawlty Towers are censored. They're products of their time and the script was written to reflect the time period the show is set in. They shouldn't be changed or edited in any way. I think the DVD versions are uncut but I'm not sure. I haven't watched them for a long time.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It doesn't have to be censored as the name used in the film is the factual name of a real dog, even if it might be offensive. The word was actually a common used name for dogs back then.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be censored as the name used in the film is the factual name of a real dog, even if it might be offensive. The word was actually a common used name for dogs back then.

It shouldn't be censored anyway as it's period art. Just needs to be shown in an appropriate time slot (as with all the programmes mentioned above) and with a suitable warning if appropriate. Yes, even the Bergerac episode(s) referred to above.