BBC2 21:00 Secret History of Our Streets

12346»

Comments

• augusta9augusta9 Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    This is repeated on Monday nights on Yesterday freeview 19 at 9pm and 1.50am. Last week they showed Deptford High St, tomorrow Camberwell Grove.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    It's a good series despite all it's faults IMO and worth a watch.
    We could do with a second series, excluding the team who done the Deptford stitch-up program.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someones listening, Prince M!
    Series 2 starts Friday 25th on BBC2.
    Only 3 episodes this time, and they've gone all Scottish -can't think why, is something happening North of the Border soon? ;-)
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huzzah, a brilliant return.

The London ones were often a convoluted tale of prosperity to dereliction and back to prosperity again. I'd imagine the Scottish ones will be a solid wall of slums, opiates, child neglect and excessive shortbread consumption.
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Someones listening, Prince M!
    Series 2 starts Friday 25th on BBC2.
    Only 3 episodes this time, and they've gone all Scottish -can't think why, is something happening North of the Border soon? ;-)

Thanks for the heads up.

I hope Bullman uses his 'thing' of getting current residents to speak the words of past residents, he used this in the Seven Sins of England for Channel 4 and the Rotherhithe episode of secret history.
  • augusta9augusta9 Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to the return of this
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the first of the new series.

What a brilliant programme.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fascinating in how these giant grand homes have weighted heavily on many, does anyone else remember "New Town" the comic murder mystery that was made for BBC4 as a pilot, alas it never got picked up for a series.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Fascinating in how these giant grand homes have weighted heavily on many, does anyone else remember "New Town" the comic murder mystery that was made for BBC4 as a pilot, alas it never got picked up for a series.

As I recall New Town the pilot was shown, but it did not appear to be finished - it was an odd mix-up with some very different genres of drama involved.
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant start to series 2.

I've lived in Edinburgh over 25 years and I've always wondered what those old New Town houses were like inside. Good to see how the other half live. Nice people too.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    ffa1 wrote: »

I've lived in Edinburgh over 25 years and I've always wondered what those old New Town houses were like inside. Good to see how the other half live. Nice people too.

Yes, it was fascinating to see inside the houses, and quite moving at times to hear the stories of those who live there. I was watching Shallow Grave the other day, which was filmed just round the corner on North East Circus Place.
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Duke Street in Dennistoun this Friday. I'm looking forward to this as it's just down the road from me.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    ffa1 wrote: »

Very nice people - liked the Old Doctor, talking about his Family.
    And how one of the Houses was a Hospital - fascinating stuff.

The closing shot was fun too, with one of the old guys, lifting his walking stick - as if to shoot the Camera, as it panned out.:cool:
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant programme and exquisite houses.

Some of the folk were nice, others showed the rather callous aloofness that is typical of the true upper classes (and these are not "middle class"). I don't hate them for it - they know no different.

I'm up in Edinburgh in September and always love wandering these incredibly grand (and unspoiled) streets.
    Forum Member
    One thing I'm finding annoying is the maps of lack of use of them, don't get enough of a sense of where the roads are relative to each other, like the upmarket estate, we saw briefly what they had planned.
    What actually happened on the ground and how the rougher parts of town grew 'towards' it wasn't shown, well not in enough detail for me.

This week I didn't get any real idea how many tenement blocks were demolished.
    I'd do my own research, but I don't have internet access at the moment.
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    The Duke Street episode wasn't really about it at all, it focused on Reidvale St. Duke St is more than poverty. It was an area, certainly when I was growing up, that people wanted to stay. Disappointing episode for me. And as for the junkie in the high rise, he can get to eff. Not everyone in the east end is like that.:( it's people like him that bring an area down.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Fadge1968 wrote: »
    The Duke Street episode wasn't really about it at all, it focused on Reidvale St. Duke St is more than poverty. It was an area, certainly when I was growing up, that people wanted to stay. Disappointing episode for me. And as for the junkie in the high rise, he can get to eff. Not everyone in the east end is like that.:( it's people like him that bring an area down.
    He seemed to be pleased he could get any drug he wanted, just outside his flat.

And yes, this was mostly/all about side streets off Duke Street....nothing much about the Street itself {apart from the history}, and it's residence.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The next one is in Aberdeen, is this a Scottish programme.?
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes ,this series is about streets in Scotland, the one last years was about English streets. ( Which was excellent )

I agree with everybody, the second episode wasn't nearly so good, at it didn't really focus on Duke St
    Forum Member
    Bump first series been repeated on BBC 4 @ 20:00.

If you haven't seen it before, careful of getting too carried away with the 'evil' council narrative in the Deptford episode, caused a lot of anger that episode.