Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about that matey, Wot I was trying to say was when they go to the traffic reports quarter to & past the hour, we now get the local traffic reports for the hole of scotland rather than down south, hope that makes more sense ..........

Well at least it's a move in the right direction Sleeper, I wonder what the audience figures are like up in Scotland regarding this station any ideas?.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Well at least it's a move in the right direction Sleeper, I wonder what the audience figures are like up in Scotland regarding this station any ideas?.

Sorry I dont have a clue mate !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallory99 wrote: »
    I'll listen to the Keys and Gray breakfast show. I agree that it has to be an improvement on the bloated ligger.

I have a paradoxical view of those two. Keys is a wannabe who is forever brown nosing broken down ex-pros who show up and fawning over anyone he thinks might be useful. Did anyone catch his support for the Qatar world cup bid? He is also as vain as they come. He has a website called "the Keys to sport". Yes, really! I'm chuckling as I write this.

Gray is a misogynistic dinosaur and a bully. Whatever Sky's motives for getting rid of him, they did us all a favour. He got away with too much for too long and still has no remorse.

Bearing all that in mind, they do actually produce some good shows.

I really couldn't agree more with all that Mal it's just how I would sum them up, they have issues as long as yer arms but it would be a better breakfast show with them than with the Suffolk Sponger that's my view too.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed today's afternoon show with Danny Kelly and Andy Jacobs.

It was a lot of fun, as you would expect the show revolved around the final day of the transfer window but they looked at it in a humorous way rather than the super-serious way Sky Sports News, the BBC and others do. Danny basically took control with Andy taking a noticeably less prominent role than he usually would with Paul Hawksbee, and it sounded like an edition of DK's old Thursday/Friday night Kick Off shows on a busy day. All the reporters chipping in from different parts of the country made good contributions, as did European football expert Andy Brassell in the studio and the background text and e-mail topic of taking pictures of "deadline day excitement" from stadiums and training grounds around the country was a bit of fun - as Danny had hoped it descended into people sending in pictures of their local non-league or junior team's pitches for a laugh.

The running gag about Danny and Andy being allowed to leave their phones on and answer them on-air, a nod to how Andy often accidentally leaves his on during normal shows leading it to go off and embarrass him on-air. Occasionally their phone would go off mid-conversation, with it turning out to their mates, Andy's wife, the bloke driving Danny to the BT Sport studios, PPI calls etc. A nice harmless mickey take of those reporters with multiple phones on Sky Sports News. I enjoyed today's show - hopefully K&J will be just as good for the rest of the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't see why people would be happy with K&G. Surely what most complain about here is how the station is so totally detached from Modern Football They're as bad as Brazil, it'll be Redknapp, Warnock, Allardyce love-ins. All the old-fashioned beliefs regurgiatated, hardly any modern-thinkers. The same boring older press people.

Look at how much better Sky is with Gary Neville, and I can't believe I'm saying that as I hated him as a player.
    It's either old and boring, or younger and facetious on Talksport. Surely there's a balance. People keep on talking about who can be promoted from within the station, but why? Why not new faces from younger current guys with relevant contacts and ideas. Who just don't ridicule things like Zonal-marking, which has basically won practically everything recently.

Even though Hawksbee, as The Difference suggested, wouldn't be the worst anchorman for the Brekkie show.

Take your point about new fresh ideas presenters being introduced that would be great but the thing is nothing would change even if they brought them in because the rock solid strict demographic of the entire station is to air the leading Premier League clubs, the leading personalities of that league and the leading stories concerning that league and to hell with the rest of the English Football League, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I dont have a clue mate !

Well taking into account the coverage of your football clubs on this station is practically nil I'd guess the listening figures for Scotland are absolutely p!ss poor BUT they'll probably announce in the next RAJARS they're up in the latest quarter by a 25% and now reaching 6.3 million even though you only have 5.2 million living up there. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Mark Saggers turns my stomach. Slimy **** dumping all over Man United just because they've spent money. Money that club has legitimately earned.

Man City and Chelsea get a free pass from the prick though, despite the fact that they're funded by a sheik and oligarch respectively whose human rights background isn't exactly stellar.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,750
    Forum Member
    They seem to be moaning about Man U buying players from overseas as if its a new trend and no-one else does such a thing!

Far from being a Man U fan but I do agree its harsh to pick on them.

Some of their English players just haven't been good enough.

Its not 1992 now...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Yep, moaning about United buying foreigners.

Gary Neville just put the idiots straight by telling them that United have had an academy graduate in every squad since 1936.
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Redknapp was on talkSport tonight, just for a change.

I'm sick of hearing this man's voice, not everyone loves him, TS.
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned Andy Brassell and it reminded me of something I'd been meaning to post about. On of the best things about TS is the quality of some of their occassional contributors. Here's a list of some that spring to mind. I'm bound to have missed a few so please feel free to comment/add/disagree:

Graham Hunter
    Todd Macklin
    Andy Brassell
    Tim Vickery
    Michael Calvin
    Henry Winter
    David Conn
    Gab Marcotti
    Des Kelly
    Tony Evans
  • mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Someone mentioned Andy Brassell and it reminded me of something I'd been meaning to post about. On of the best things about TS is the quality of some of their occassional contributors. Here's a list of some that spring to mind. I'm bound to have missed a few so please feel free to comment/add/disagree:

Graham Hunter
    Todd Macklin
    Andy Brassell
    Tim Vickery
    Michael Calvin
    Henry Winter
    David Conn
    Gab Marcotti
    Des Kelly
    Tony Evans

The thing is, most of them aren't exclusive to Talksport, so you tend to hear them say the same thing to the BBC, SKY, various podcasts etc. The added bonus being, there isn't some plank asking the questions (except for Dotun Adebayo interviewing Tim Vickery on 5Live).

In saying that, Des Kelly used to do a great job on the Press Pass, whilst Mike Graham lets Tim Vickery get on with it for 20mins.

P.S. Great post Mallory99 (#2623) - perfect descriptions in every way, especially Murray and Higginbotham (I think someone must pull a string in his back to get the stock phrases out).
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgns wrote: »
    The thing is, most of them aren't exclusive to Talksport, so you tend to hear them say the same thing to the BBC, SKY, various podcasts etc. The added bonus being, there isn't some plank asking the questions (except for Dotun Adebayo interviewing Tim Vickery on 5Live).

In saying that, Des Kelly used to do a great job on the Press Pass, whilst Mike Graham lets Tim Vickery get on with it for 20mins.

P.S. Great post Mallory99 (#2623) - perfect descriptions in every way, especially Murray and Higginbotham (I think someone must pull a string in his back to get the stock phrases out).

Thank you. Forgot to mention Mark Langdon.
  • RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talkSPORT needs to be sued by man utd fans and the club for defamation remarks by the presenters of mike graham and mike parry and mark saggers. Defamation. The law of defamation allows individuals, groups of individuals, companies or firms to sue for damage to their reputation. You can defame someone by publishing material in various forms and people can sue so long as the material can be reasonably understood to be referring to them. This also includes radio and t.v
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Deadline day on Talksport.........All they do is watch Skysports and relay the info from the TV......every time skysports broke the news.......someone at Talksport rushed in with breaking news as though they were personally being contacted........EMBARASSING.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deadline day on Talksport.........All they do is watch Skysports and relay the info from the TV......every time skysports broke the news.......someone at Talksport rushed in with breaking news as though they were personally being contacted........EMBARASSING.

Always done it lol, cheap as chips this station without SKY TV, the BBC sports channels, the internet and the national daily newspapers they couldn't 'announce' nothing. :blush::blush::blush:
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Graham Hunter
    Todd Macklin
    Andy Brassell
    Tim Vickery
    Michael Calvin
    Henry Winter
    David Conn
    Gab Marcotti
    Des Kelly
    Tony Evans

Others I'd add would be:

Mark Langdon (as you yourself have already done!)
    Geoff Peters (yes he's a presenter but he appears on loads of shows as a guest!)
    Raphael Honigstein
    Julien Laurens
    Dermot Gallagher
    Laure James
    Stewart Weir
    Adam Summerton
    Rob Daly
    Roy-naldo Hayes
    Sid Lowe
    Paddy Agnew
    Gary Niblock
    Kevin Hatchard
    Ben Lyttleton
    Dan Norcross
    Kay Murray

I agree with everyone you've mentioned already. talkSPORT have some fantastic regular correspondents who can bring something to the table on even the direst of shows.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redunited wrote: »
    talkSPORT needs to be sued by man utd fans and the club for defamation remarks by the presenters of mike graham and mike parry and mark saggers. Defamation. The law of defamation allows individuals, groups of individuals, companies or firms to sue for damage to their reputation. You can defame someone by publishing material in various forms and people can sue so long as the material can be reasonably understood to be referring to them. This also includes radio and t.v

I know you don't like or want to hear it Red but they would be wasting their money (and it would be a lot of money, never ever sue for hurt feelings) what the three presenters you mention may or may not have said all comes under the heading of fair comment. If you want to hear someone trash everyone they don't like, and I mean trash in the most hideous of ways, listen to Steve Allen on LBC who has never been sued.

On a lighter note (and I'm not aiming this at any club especially) but there is always the defence of they don't have any reputation to defend:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Redunited wrote: »

bitter bitter Red, bet you live in Essex and have never been to Old Trafford you bitter bitter man
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Always done it lol, cheap as chips this station without SKY TV, the BBC sports channels, the internet and the national daily newspapers they couldn't 'announce' nothing. :blush::blush::blush:

All that just shows how useless the moose actually is
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't it just underline the bad state of the regular presenters when so many are posting heaps of praise in the direction of the excellent invited guest speakers when heaps of praise for the regular presenters never see light of day because that's just not possible because they're all so bad.

Just got back from a two hour bike run had the AM radio on all way but not on talkSPORT for a single second because I knew what was coming 4 hours of non-stop Manchester United and their deadline day two transfers, [or is it three transfers I really do not know because I really do not care I do not live in Manchester or support that particular football club] bet Brazil was almost climaxing in his XXXX L sized boxers over Radamel Falcao joining his beloved Man Utd. [inserts the missing yawning faced smiley]

Friend of the station 'Arry will have featured strongly too I expect and all the usual suspects, nope I won't have missed owt will I.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,553
    Forum Member
    You won't hear this on TS but for anyone who is interested Celtic player Virgil Van Dyke has been called up to the Dutch international squad This guy will go for big money next summer
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Graham Hunter
    Todd Macklin
    Andy Brassell
    Tim Vickery
    Michael Calvin
    Henry Winter
    David Conn
    Gab Marcotti
    Des Kelly
    Tony Evans

I'd add Phillipe Auclair, Rafi Honigstein and Guillem Balague to that list, there's also an American guy on Extra Time every week who is good, John somebody, name escapes me. Lots of good contributors on the station, I wish they were on more, instead of the same old ex pros.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed today's afternoon show with Danny Kelly and Andy Jacobs.

It was a lot of fun, as you would expect the show revolved around the final day of the transfer window but they looked at it in a humorous way rather than the super-serious way Sky Sports News, the BBC and others do. Danny basically took control with Andy taking a noticeably less prominent role than he usually would with Paul Hawksbee, and it sounded like an edition of DK's old Thursday/Friday night Kick Off shows on a busy day. All the reporters chipping in from different parts of the country made good contributions, as did European football expert Andy Brassell in the studio and the background text and e-mail topic of taking pictures of "deadline day excitement" from stadiums and training grounds around the country was a bit of fun - as Danny had hoped it descended into people sending in pictures of their local non-league or junior team's pitches for a laugh.

The running gag about Danny and Andy being allowed to leave their phones on and answer them on-air, a nod to how Andy often accidentally leaves his on during normal shows leading it to go off and embarrass him on-air. Occasionally their phone would go off mid-conversation, with it turning out to their mates, Andy's wife, the bloke driving Danny to the BT Sport studios, PPI calls etc. A nice harmless mickey take of those reporters with multiple phones on Sky Sports News. I enjoyed today's show - hopefully K&J will be just as good for the rest of the week.

AJ barely got a word in ! DK just took 100% control and rattled through at his manic pace. Great fun.
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed "The Two Mikes" this morning, still think having Porky only do an hour is a waste though, considering all the adverts. I wonder what's stopping Talksport from doing "The Two Mikes" everyday?
This discussion has been closed.