What Got You Hooked On Dr Who?

Comments

• AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Hearing about the launch of Series 1 (2005) absolutely everywhere. I decided to give it a go, having only seen a Dalek in a Kit-Kat advert before, and I loved it. Been hooked ever since and have watched random swathes of classic Who... finding my favourite Doctor in Eccleston, a second favourite in Smith, and then endless adoration of William Hartnell and Paul McGann :D
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hearing about the launch of Series 1 (2005) absolutely everywhere. I decided to give it a go, having only seen a Dalek in a Kit-Kat advert before, and I loved it. Been hooked ever since and have watched random swathes of classic Who... finding my favourite Doctor in Eccleston, a second favourite in Smith, and then endless adoration of William Hartnell and Paul McGann :D

Ah some Hartnell love. I salute you, sir! (AAISAT is going to be fascinating, I think.)

Gawd, I feel a bit old reading some of these posts! It's lovely, though. :D
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Ah some Hartnell love. I salute you, sir! (AAISAT is going to be fascinating, I think.)

Gawd, I feel a bit old reading some of these posts! It's lovely, though. :D

:D I've long felt that Hartnell is under-appreciated, much like Eccleston is within Nu-Who a lot of the time. I think Hartnell's a terrific Doctor and I like his slightly less approachable characterisation... mainly because there's still this wonderful, warm Grandfatherly Time Lord underneath it all :D:p

I can't wait for AAISAT...unfortunately I'm going to miss it when it's on as I'm away until the early hours of Saturday... but still... it's going to make it a real event of an anniversary for me :) In its own way I'm looking more forward to this than The Day of the Doctor!
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to be sent to my grans every weekend and this particular Saturday she wasn't in so had to return home with my dad My mum was watching something with giant maggots in and I asked her what it was. She said DOCTOR WHO!! That was the start for me.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    The Target / WH Allen novelisations. Read them years before I ever saw a full
    DW story on TV.
  • bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    Pertwee, and Weetabix cards.

Ha, ha I had forgotten about the Weetabix cards. Even when they weren't doing Who stuff there was always something going on or inside the packet. I seem to remember they once had some Top Cat thing as well. Why don't they do stuff like that any more? If they did I would probably still be eating Weetabix religiously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Seeing the TV Movie when I was younger, I think it may have been a repeat near the millenium (I was 3 when the film came out) but the regeneration scene stuck with me ever since.

Had a couple of Pertwee and Baker stories on DVD so i watched them and repeats if they were ever on, but then it was the 2005 that got me really hooked, as little of the Classic series as I have seen, I do love anything with a big history and lots of Lore so Doctor Who was always the perfect show for me!
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    The episode Rose, where the modern era began. I only had a very limited experience with Who beforehand, namely the second of the two Peter Cushing films and a bit of Terror of the Zygons, so it was really a new experience for me, and I loved it. I've been hooked ever since.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose in 2005, but I think Dalek sealed the deal.
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Wow. RTD sure has done a lot for making Doctor Who popular.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Davison. His Doctor caught my imagination as a 4 year-old, so much so that I stuck with the show through the leaner C. Baker and McCoy years. Finally getting to see the likes of T. Baker as the Doctor on video made me realise other actors could impress me as the Doctor, but Peter shall always be my first thought whenever I think of the show. :)
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Dalek floating up the stairs. Shortly thereafter: a Dalek being attacked with a baseball bat.
    Wow. RTD sure has done a lot for making Doctor Who popular.

Not just that, but he's reputedly an all around lovely guy! You should tell that to the Evil Wizard Zaks.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whilst i aways watched the show,i got into it big time around the time of the five doctors (we had our first VHS recorder) and when we first got sky in the early 90s with UK gold showing the series nearly every day i was hooked :D
  • ewarwoowooewarwoowoo Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    After seeing the Five Faces of Dr Who on BBC2 some time around 1981 shortly before Peter Davison began his tenure.

Up until then I had only known Tom Baker and was totally unaware of the history of the show, I got hooked from then on until the first McCoy season when it all got too annoying. Then got hooked again when the new series began.
  • BonesMcCoyBonesMcCoy Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Like November_Rain, Nu Who I guess.

I grew up in the 80's and it just didn't appeall to me, don't know why. As it went on with companians like Sophie Aldred (CBBC) and Bonnie Langford, who I knew from other stuff I guess I was put off at the time. I did see the non-canon films with Peter Cushing however and loved those, so knew a little about it just not most of the details (What daleks actually were etc.)

I watched the TV movie and gave that a go, and it was - alright, for it's good and bad points. Thought no more about it. I guess when the relaunch came about I thought about that TV movie and gave this "a go." By "Dalek" in Eccleston's series I was starting to love, his power, acting and reaction, was gutted to see him go. By "Army Of Ghosts"/Doomsday, Cyberman Vs Daleks - I was fan-boying. I've never stopped since.

The one thing I was greatful of though, was in the first and second series of NU-Who, I became such and overnight fan it made me want to go watch older ones. So Now I have seen a few Troughton - who I became quite fond of. some Hartnell, some Pertwee, Tom Baker who I loved, I even became quite, quite fond of Davison, which suprised me as I only knew him from All Creatures Great & Small, (Not a favourite of mine) Quite like Colin baker these days as well because his doctor was quite, quite different, especially at the start. Pretty much ahd me at his opening line.

What's happenned?
    "Change my dear! And it seems not a moment too soon!"

:D
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Pertwee and my fascination with the TARDIS, I remember loving the look of the police box.
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    A Dalek floating up the stairs. Shortly thereafter: a Dalek being attacked with a baseball bat.
    Ah, we have so much in common :)
    TEDR wrote: »
    You should tell that to the Evil Wizard Zaks.
    Ah, we have so much in common :)
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    shortcrust wrote: »
    I think it was the magic of resolving the initial confusion. One of my earliest memories is of wondering how that white room could be in all those different places from week to week.

Immediately I read your comment I thought of an old 'Avengers' episode from (I'm guessing) 1966 -ish. Emma Peel was trapped in a strange house where the rooms appeared to move around ..... it had an eerie feel and strange sound-effects that made it quite Who-like.

It was called 'The House that Jack Built' and is well worth watching if you ever see it in a listing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch it when I was a kid in the 80s, and then the repeats in the 90's. Also had the Target novels of The Tenth Planet and Spearhead from Space, which I loved. But the deal was sealed with the TV Movie, the first "new" episode I saw when I was old enough to fully appreciate it.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call myself a 'whovian' like most people here. In fact I didn't know what Doctor Who was pre 2005 but I remember the older folk raving about the show's return. So I started watching it from the Eccleston/RTD 1st series.

Though I wasn't really hooked until David Tennant's Doctor. That one little scene when Tennant's Doctor first appears was so great, in fact I don't remember ever missing a DT episode.

Shame I haven't been into Matt Smith's incarnation though :( I've only seen a few episodes since 2010. I'm hoping to get back into the show with Capaldi's Doctor.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother was a fan so I just watched it too! - first memories are from late Tom Baker episodes. So I guess I was forced at an early age. Like eating all your greens on your plate!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I think I'm the newst fan here.
    It was all the advertisement for day of the dr, I decided to watch seasons 1-7 right though by the end of season one I was hooked.
    Have always caught the odd episode here and there but I'm going full belt to try and watch 3 seasons before Friday.
    O did I mention I have been a fan about 3 weeks
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    It was on TV when I was kid, as simple as that.

I would have been 5 towards the end of the Pertwee era and have a few fuzzy memories from that then I just continued to watch it up unto my teens (Davidson/C Baker and Mcoy) but basically outgrew it, far more better things to enjoy at that age.

I loved the relaunch and the RTD era but a lot of the spark has gone for me over the last few series under Mofftat, still some wonderful moments though. That said I am looking forward to the 50th and extremely excited at what Peter Capaldi will bring to the role in the next series.

So it wasn't much a case of what got me hooked more a case it was on TV and I liked it.:)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watching An Unearthly Child in 1963.
    Forum Member
    I have been a fan about 3 weeks […] It was all the advertisement for day of the dr, I decided to watch seasons 1-7 right though by the end of season one I was hooked.
    Wow, that is pretty new, and pretty mad! So you've seen a trailer for the upcoming Doctor Who episode, became a fan, watched every episode, then go to see it! I doubt there are many people who have ever done that! (Presumably you are watching them online and have not bought them all?)

Hope you get to see it all before Saturday. And hope you enjoy Smith's episodes when you get to them.