Options

Doctor Who Tearjerkers

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
For me, Billie Piper, Catherine Tate and Karen Gillan's exits have been quite tearjerking for me. David Tennant's regeneration I believe I did shed a tear at, not so much the Eleventh Doctor (well, they didn't really give us time to)

Elizabeth Sladen's exit from the Fourth Doctor was quite a powerful scene, and I also remember being quite sad when I found out that Liz Shaw left UNIT, because I think the Third Doctor grew quite fond of her.

If I had to rank them;

8. Liz Shaw, Terror of the Autons
7. Matt Smith, The Time of the Doctor
6. Elizabeth Sladen, The Hand of Fear
5. David Tennant, The End of Time
4. Billie Piper, Doomsday
3. Carole Ann Ford, The Dalek Invasion of Earth
2. Catherine Tate, Journey's End
1. Karen Gillan, The Angels Take Manhattan

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think, on terms of tragedy, Adric's death was quite powerful. Hated the character but the affect of the death was still moving.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is allways heartbreak with DW. Eventually you know a companion is going to leave or the Doctor is. Just have to keep a box of tissues handy!.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when the 1st dr left his daughter on earth cos she'd fallen in love with leader of the resistance to the daleks. as in o.p. very brutal.

sarah kingdom's death as the time destructor turns her into a skeleton.

who is Adric ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    who is Adric ?

Seriously? Ok!

Male from the planet Alzarius and companion to the 4th and 5th Doctor, stowed away on board the Tardis during the E-space trilogy (Full Circle) and died at the end of the 5th Doctor's first season (Earthshock). He was a mathematical genius and frankly, very annoying. Matthew Waterhouse wasn't the best actor in the world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Rose's Departure Was Most Tragic And Moving For Me, Second Would Be Donna And Third Would Be Amy.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Seriously? Ok!

Male from the planet Alzarius and companion to the 4th and 5th Doctor, stowed away on board the Tardis during the E-space trilogy (Full Circle) and died at the end of the 5th Doctor's first season (Earthshock). He was a mathematical genius and frankly, very annoying. Matthew Waterhouse wasn't the best actor in the world.

no not seriously. i was joking. a reference to him being the most unpopular companion ever. but thanks anyway. your summary is very good.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C21: Donna and Eleven for me.

C20: Susan, Jamie and Zoe, Five.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member

I Heard That Mattew And Tom Didn't Get Along, Is That True? They Always Seem To Be Alright With Each Other On Screen, Although That Could Be Acting lol
  • Options
    chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I hated rose's departure probably due to it being a love story between 10 & rose. Adrics death was shocking especially when i was only 9 or 10 at the time as before then companions just tended to leave or be dropped off back home.

Pull2open - are you just joking about adric or is it a serious question
  • Options
    chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I Heard That Mattew And Tom Didn't Get Along, Is That True? They Always Seem To Be Alright With Each Other On Screen, Although That Could Be Acting lol

I heard that too. Similar to an on-screen married couple who appeared in a sitcom in the 60's. Worked brilliantly together on screen, hated each other off it. Steptoe & son hated each other off screen as well i believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    no not seriously. i was joking. a reference to him being the most unpopular companion ever. but thanks anyway. your summary is very good.

Now I feel like a k**b!! :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He came along at the wrong time in Tom's tenure. By that time, Tom didn't get on with anyone and in particular, didn't suffer fools and young oiks just starting out. There was a story about him approaching Tom in the BBC bar or canteen or something and Tom telling him to bugger off (or something stronger)

You have to remember that Tom was surrounded by his successors companions at that time, they were all very young for a much younger Doctor. Matthew and Sarah were 19 and Janet was 27.

I'm sure if they met today, they would be ok and be able to reminisce together.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Classic Who, Susan's departure is the nearest there is for a tearjerker for me. The music used is a bit of a heart wrencher. I'm watching it tomorrow, Jo's departure is always a sad one to watch due to the unusual amount of emotion displayed by The Doctor at her departure. I think it was handled and done to perfection, you really get the feeling that there was something deeper with those two.

Adric's departure I can never remember. Know I watched it, but can't remember feeling any sympathy for the character as he was so annoying, but there's no denying his last few moments had impact. Shame this was then dissipated the following week by Time-Flight. Should have been end of the Season at this point imo.

New Series, only Rose's and Donna's departures have come close to being tear-jerkers. I didn't find Amy and Rory's departure that sad, it lacked impact imo and I had no attachment to the characters as such since Rory seemed to have died a dozen deaths already and the poor standard of the stories meant I couldn't get to grips with them, which is weird as I love Matt Smith's Doctor.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adric's departure I can never remember. Know I watched it, but can't remember feeling any sympathy for the character as he was so annoying, but there's no denying his last few moments had impact. Shame this was then dissipated the following week by Time-Flight. Should have been end of the Season at this point imo.

For me, it wasn't Adric's death that was the tearjerker, it was the reaction of the companions and the look of absolutely helplessness on the Doctor's face that I thought was a particularly well done emotional scene.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I think we're all a bit flippant about Adric's death nowadays. At the time it was completely unexpected, brutal (the WHOLE of Earthshock was brutal) and completely shocking.

Adric wasn't a secondary companion (like Mickey or Captain Jack). He was a proper, full-time companion and companions simply did not die!

I was only 11 years old when it was shown and I remember being quite tearful during those silent closing credits.

I didn't find Adric annoying at the time and never considered Matthew Waterhouse's acting to be poor. This is all stuff that came later, via the internet.

Its a shame because those closing moments of Earthshock, and the magnitude of what happened (this young new Doctor failing to save a companion) are really diminished when people just crack jokes about it like it didn't really matter.

I promise you, at the time, way back in March 1982, it really did matter. It was shocking and heartbreaking and that was really something for classic Who.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    For me, Billie Piper, Catherine Tate and Karen Gillan's exits have been quite tearjerking for me. David Tennant's regeneration I believe I did shed a tear at, not so much the Eleventh Doctor (well, they didn't really give us time to)

Elizabeth Sladen's exit from the Fourth Doctor was quite a powerful scene, and I also remember being quite sad when I found out that Liz Shaw left UNIT, because I think the Third Doctor grew quite fond of her.

If I had to rank them;

8. Liz Shaw, Terror of the Autons
    7. Matt Smith, The Time of the Doctor
    6. Elizabeth Sladen, The Hand of Fear
    5. David Tennant, The End of Time
    4. Billie Piper, Doomsday
    3. Carole Ann Ford, The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    2. Catherine Tate, Journey's End
    1. Karen Gillan, The Angels Take Manhattan

What about Jo Grant's from The Green Death? Now that WAS sad! :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veI1_9rulGY

I remember feeling quite tearful the first time I saw this on DVD, nearly 8 years ago.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, it wasn't Adric's death that was the tearjerker, it was the reaction of the companions and the look of absolutely helplessness on the Doctor's face that I thought was a particularly well done emotional scene.

I agree, but still thought the seconds before the explosion were awesome. It's one of those rare scenes from the Series that you can watch again and again and still feel the same each time. Ok, not a tearjerker as you say but I would wager that not many people thought The Doctor wouldn't turn up at the last moment and rescue him until those last few seconds.

The fact that a companion death hadn't happened since the 60's also gave it impact. It's good that it happens now and again, but with Rory, the constant returns has diminished that a little.
    Mulett wrote: »
    I think we're all a bit flippant about Adric's death nowadays. At the time it was completely unexpected, brutal (the WHOLE of Earthshock was brutal) and completely shocking.

Adric wasn't a secondary companion (like Mickey or Captain Jack). He was a proper, full-time companion and companions simply did not die!

I was only 11 years old when it was shown and I remember being quite tearful during those silent closing credits.

I didn't find Adric annoying at the time and never considered Matthew Waterhouse's acting to be poor. This is all stuff that came later, via the internet.

Its a shame because those closing moments of Earthshock, and the magnitude of what happened (this young new Doctor failing to save a companion) are really diminished when people just crack jokes about it like it didn't really matter.

I promise you, at the time, way back in March 1982, it really did matter. It was shocking and heartbreaking and that was really something for classic Who.

I hear what you're saying here and to an extent I agree with most of it.

Thing is though, I DO remember Adric being annoying from first time watching it back in 82. I don't remember much but that sticks a lot. I agree that with the internet and forums like this, it's been made worse. That's just the fact of life, like an unpopular story like The Twin Dilemma for example.

Some people on here slate popular stories like Earthshock and The Caves Of Androzani, and that's their right to do so, but often they miss the fact that people will have watched it first time round and found them entertaining for the very reasons you mentioned above.

:)
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »

An hour wasn't long enough for you to register an emotional reaction?
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    An hour wasn't long enough for you to register an emotional reaction?

Well it was an hour of rushed and condensed set pieces with a regeneration thrown into the final 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He came along at the wrong time in Tom's tenure. By that time, Tom didn't get on with anyone and in particular, didn't suffer fools and young oiks just starting out. There was a story about him approaching Tom in the BBC bar or canteen or something and Tom telling him to bugger off (or something stronger)

You have to remember that Tom was surrounded by his successors companions at that time, they were all very young for a much younger Doctor. Matthew and Sarah were 19 and Janet was 27.

I'm sure if they met today, they would be ok and be able to reminisce together.

I find it amusing on the Logopolis DVD commentary where Tom refers to Adric first as 'that little boy' and then later refers to Matthew Waterhouse himself (NOT his character Adric) as 'Adric'.

Tom is great. No doubt he has rubbed many people up the wrong way and dented some very precious drama school egos over the years, especially in those latter Doctor Who years but most people actually speak well of him and have an admiration for him. For whatever it's worth he has also mellowed tremendously and is now very companionable with his sundry ex co-stars. He gets along very well with Louise Jameson now from what I gather, someone he had a lot of friction with at the time (basically, Louise Jameson was very po-faced and dull and Tom being witty and anarchic found her a ghastly bore and made little effort to feign respect for her).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Well it was an hour of rushed and condensed set pieces with a regeneration thrown into the final 5 minutes.

Or it was an hour of paced drama, with the Doctor gradually aging throughout, building up to the denouement of the regeneration at the end of the episode.

But I think that, deep down, beneath your resentment, you know that what you said was silly.

Or perhaps you felt that the regeneration should have lasted twenty minutes whilst the Doctor went on a farewell tour... hmm, didn't we see that somewhere before? No doubt you fondly remember it ;) Sometimes there is something to be said for understatement.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Or it was an hour of paced drama, with the Doctor gradually aging throughout, building up to the denouement of the regeneration at the end of the episode.

But I think that, deep down, beneath your resentment, you know that what you said was silly.

Or perhaps you felt that the regeneration should have lasted twenty minutes whilst the Doctor went on a farewell tour... hmm, didn't we see that somewhere before? No doubt you fondly remember it ;) Sometimes there is something to be said for understatement.

Oh dear, someone can't handle other's opinions.

Where did I mention that David Tennant's regen episode was better? That's a lot of words you're putting in my mouth from one sentence.

And I don't actually hold my opinion? Lol. Ok then.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    The saddest moment for me was Pat (DR 2) Jamie and Zoe saying goodbye. Because they had been together for so long and leaving at the same time!
    NO other Classic Who did this sort of thing.....Jon Pertwee was good in The Green Death with bye bye JO! Tom Baker was crap at emotions! So were the rest....ok Peter Davison did a sad bit with Tegan (and a bit with Adric) :)

Dr 10 was emotional with Rose - but that's different!! (That's sex!!):p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "To The Death".

That's all I really need to say on this matter.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    What about Jo Grant's from The Green Death? Now that WAS sad! :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veI1_9rulGY

I remember feeling quite tearful the first time I saw this on DVD, nearly 8 years ago.

I'm only at the Mind of Evil with the Third Doctor stories :(