Options

40 year mortgages now on offer

Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
Forum Member
http://www.independent.co.uk/money/mortgages/fortyyear-mortgages-tempt-firsttime-buyers-on-to-the-property-ladder-despite-high-costs-9701798.html
The number of first-time buyers prepared to pay double the cost of their home to get on the property ladder is soaring as more lenders begin to offer 35 and 40-year mortgages.
"Without a doubt, 30- or 35-year mortgages are becoming the new 20- and 25-year terms," he said.

"People will borrow for longer as house prices continue to rocket – which they will until the supply-side issues are seen to.

"The market certainly needs to reflect the fact that people are working for longer and living longer.

Pretty much as I anticipated a few years ago, though I expect calls to soon be made to re-allow interest only i.e. unlimited term mortgages in the near future, to allow first-time buyers to complete with unregulated buy-to-let borrowers.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical the UK follows the USA and offers 40 year mortgages. Why no 50 year mortgages as available in Germany, or 100 year mortgages as available in Japan, or infinity mortgages as avaiable in Switzerland.

These longer mortgages are just what we need to keep and further inflate the price of housing in the UK while simultaneously maintaining housing as affordable to buy.
  • Options
    Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paying a mortgage for 40 years is preferable to renting for 40 years.....I should know.....
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member
    Typical Tories!
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone didn't see this coming, but it's still a huge joke and yet another knife in the concept of home ownership, for all or even just the middle classes.

How people think this constant house price inflation helps matters is beyond me.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just another sign of market failure and the government's abject refusal to deal with it.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a lot of younger first time buyers it is an attractive option. I assume lenders will not offer such mortagages to those will be be past an age to be able to service repayments otherwise you are looking at repossessions and all the issues that come with that.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Just another sign of market failure and the government's abject refusal to deal with it.

It's not a market failure, it's a result of government policy to prevent housebuilding and subsidize farming. If land owners were allowed to do what they liked with their land (within reason) and there were no subsidies then we see millions more houses being built than currently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    For a lot of younger first time buyers it is an attractive option. I assume lenders will not offer such mortagages to those will be be past an age to be able to service repayments otherwise you are looking at repossessions and all the issues that come with that.
    People who reach retirment if they then claim means tested benefits, like pension credits would be eligible for state support for mortgage interest. Those mortgage payers in dire straits would also be eligible for various state mortgage rescue schemes. Although state support for retired mortgage payers is not ideal it would most likely be cheaper than state support for retired renters.
  • Options
    JAMCJAMC Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    It's not a market failure, it's a result of government policy to prevent housebuilding and subsidize farming. If land owners were allowed to do what they liked with their land (within reason) and there were no subsidies then we see millions more houses being built than currently.
    You've shot close to the mark but missed the target.

There has been pressure from the government since the right to buy was first introduced, but it's primary purpose isn't to subsidise or protect farming (just look at how many farms fold and how much so-called farmland lies idle) - it's to inflate the price of housing stock in an attempt to attract the political support of homeowners and landlords who "feel" weathier as a result. This control is enforced primarily through our planning system, which is one of the most restrictive and pernicious in the developed world and has shifted over the past four decades from being a tool for the support of housebuilding to a tool designed primarily to prevent new housing being built.

However, the answer isn't to simply return to an era where there was no planning system - history suggests that having no controls at all leads to overcrowding, poor quality construction and the proliferation of slums. In the long term we will need to build millions of new houses - there's simply no way around that. In the short term we need to think about measures we can take (even if they're just temporary) to pop the bubble of the over-inflated housing market - up to and including rationing of supply to a legal limit of one house per person.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are buying their first home at a much older age than before, the retirement age has raised but only slightly; if you're in your 70s & retired then how are you going to pay a mortgage.....?
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

H'mm. To only own their house when they're in their dotage?

Very attractive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very attractive.

Can't see that is any worse than renting one in your dotage, and in any case you own it the minute you buy it and mortgage repayments are nearly always lower than rental costs.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very attractive.

Just because you get a 40 year mortgage it doesn't mean that you will take that long to pay it off but it may mean that the repayments in the early years become more affordable. With overpayments and profits from house moves, many mortgages are paid off well before their term length. I took out a 25 year mortgage 5 years ago but I plan to have it cleared in the next 10 years.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Well a 25 year mortgage was the norm, but now we need 35/40 year mortgages just goes to show the state of things, like house prices compared to wages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAMC wrote: »
    You've shot close to the mark but missed the target.

There has been pressure from the government since the right to buy was first introduced, but it's primary purpose isn't to subsidise or protect farming (just look at how many farms fold and how much so-called farmland lies idle) - it's to inflate the price of housing stock in an attempt to attract the political support of homeowners and landlords who "feel" weathier as a result. This control is enforced primarily through our planning system, which is one of the most restrictive and pernicious in the developed world and has shifted over the past four decades from being a tool for the support of housebuilding to a tool designed primarily to prevent new housing being built.

However, the answer isn't to simply return to an era where there was no planning system - history suggests that having no controls at all leads to overcrowding, poor quality construction and the proliferation of slums. In the long term we will need to build millions of new houses - there's simply no way around that. In the short term we need to think about measures we can take (even if they're just temporary) to pop the bubble of the over-inflated housing market - up to and including rationing of supply to a legal limit of one house per person.

Yes, I agree with all of that. However I was replying to the claim that problems with the housing market are due to market failure when they are in fact due to government failure. The current situation as almost entirely down to a deliberate decision to prevent one type of land use and encourage another.

It's ironic, I have numerous issues with capitalism and support government intervention in many cases; however the single biggest problem we face in the UK is primarily down to deliberate government intervention in a free market (which goes well beyond planning control). The greatest hypocrisy of the Tory party and Right wing thinkers on here is that they can support such actions whilst criticize every other type of government intervention.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Just because you get a 40 year mortgage it doesn't mean that you will take that long to pay it off but it may mean that the repayments in the early years become more affordable. With overpayments and profits from house moves, many mortgages are paid off well before their term length. I took out a 25 year mortgage 5 years ago but I plan to have it cleared in the next 10 years.

Yes, I appreciate that but I still don't see how this is an "attractive" thing for the young.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I appreciate that but I still don't see how this is an "attractive" thing for the young.

That's probably true but very little about the housing market is attractive to the young. In these days of more responsible lending I can't see us ever going back to those 100% (or even 125%) mortgages that we saw 10 years ago.

These 35 or 40 year mortgages won't be the solution to everyone as they will still need to raise the deposit but if it helps some then it has to be a good thing, surely?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who reach retirment if they then claim means tested benefits, like pension credits would be eligible for state support for mortgage interest. .................

Interest, in the latter years of a 40year mortgage, wouldn't be a huge amount, and would reduce each year. Most of the mortgage payment would be capital repayment, which the taxpayer wouldn't support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Well a 25 year mortgage was the norm, but now we need 35/40 year mortgages just goes to show the state of things, like house prices compared to wages.

That is an issue but do remember salary multiples rose and deposit levels fell many years ago so it is not a new problem and that caused many issue such as sub-prime mortgages. The salary multiples afaik are now lower so an extended mortgage repayment term is not unexpected.

The main problem of course remains that demand exceeds supply especially in property hot spots like London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's probably true but very little about the housing market is attractive to the young. In these days of more responsible lending I can't see us ever going back to those 100% (or even 125%) mortgages that we saw 10 years ago.

These 35 or 40 year mortgages won't be the solution to everyone as they will still need to raise the deposit but if it helps some then it has to be a good thing, surely?

If we continue our current policies on house building then I think we will all but see the end of straight forward ownership for the majority of people within 25 years. I envisage a new system where property companies lease you a house for an indefinite period of time with provisions for retirement. You never actually own the house but will have some rights to pass on the leasing agreement after your death.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I envisage a new system where property companies lease you a house for an indefinite period of time with provisions for retirement. .

So could the future be renting your home but with more tenants' rights ?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    That is an issue but do remember salary multiples rose and deposit levels fell many years ago so it is not a new problem and that caused many issue such as sub-prime mortgages. The salary multiples afaik are now lower so an extended mortgage repayment term is not unexpected.

The main problem of course remains that demand exceeds supply especially in property hot spots like London.

Just have to hope that by extended mortgage repayments does not fuel house prices to keep increasing, as that will not help at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we continue our current policies on house building then I think we will all but see the end of straight forward ownership for the majority of people within 25 years. I envisage a new system where property companies lease you a house for an indefinite period of time with provisions for retirement. You never actually own the house but will have some rights to pass on the leasing agreement after your death.

That's very possible and it might be an attractive solution to some house hunters just like some people prefer to lease a car than own it. People would have more long term security in a leased home than they would in a private rental. If that encourages developers to build more homes so that they can lease them out (and make more money on them than just a one off sale) then it could work.

What we need is a variety of solutions rather than the traditional one size fits all 25 year repayment mortgage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Interest, in the latter years of a 40year mortgage, wouldn't be a huge amount, and would reduce each year. Most of the mortgage payment would be capital repayment, which the taxpayer wouldn't support.
    Support for Mortage Interest is paid as a percentage on the total mortgage debt outstanding.

While the mortgage rescue schemes are of two types, one where the the person has their outstanding mortgage redued or completely paid off by a government loan secured on the property, which can be paid interest only, with the outstanding capital recovered at the borrowers death or at the properties sale. The other type is the state buying the property and the person then paying rent at less than market rent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very possible and it might be an attractive solution to some house hunters just like some people prefer to lease a car than own it. People would have more long term security in a leased home than they would in a private rental. If that encourages developers to build more homes so that they can lease them out (and make more money on them than just a one off sale) then it could work.

What we need is a variety of solutions rather than the traditional one size fits all 25 year repayment mortgage.

Yes, and leasing should be cheaper than renting as the company will get long term security of income without the expense of maintaining the house (which would be the leasee's responsibility). The biggest issue would be retirement and how to secure the property during that period; maybe people would have to take out a 'second pension' that commits to paying the lease fees until death.

I'm not saying it's an ideal solution but it will be the only way that normal people will be able to have a property is house prices continue to rise at recent levels.