XB1/ PS4 review scores

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I understand it, Forza 5 is 60fps in-game but 30fps during replays to allow for extra detail and effects to be added.

Could this the source of some of the disparity we have seen?

If so, passing off replays as in-game while telling people the game is 1080p/60 is a little naughty.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    Is that the 30fps racer that got delayed?

Enjoy need for speed.:p

Need for Speed actually looks quite good :)

(but yeah, 60fps is a *must* for driving games).

Hopefully DriveClub will find itself in 60fps territory when it's released.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Its going to do well Dan. The delay can only mean good things for the end product.

Forza 5 was rushed, it still looks a great game, and plays brilliantly(from reviews), but exclusion of cars and tracks towards the end of the development has left a sour taste in my mouth. I wouldn't have minded if they held it back for a month or two to get as much content in as possible.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    As I understand it, Forza 5 is 60fps in-game but 30fps during replays to allow for extra detail and effects to be added.

Could this the source of some of the disparity we have seen?

If so, passing off replays as in-game while telling people the game is 1080p/60 is a little naughty.

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting at least when it comes to motion blur. But there was plenty of in-game footage shown at E3 and it looks great then and it looks great now.

Unfortunately though there's a group of people on the internet who will blow any minor issue out of proportion. It's like a disease, the internet version of Aids if you will, sucking the life out of the gaming community a little more each day until all we care about are the very technical details that developers go to extensive efforts to hide from us. Gaming offers an illusory experience by nature, I wish some people would realise that.

Everything we're seeing now is perfectly normal for the launch of a new generation, remember Forza 2? (which wasn't even a launch game) It was essentially the same as Forza 1 with x2 the fps, a small resolution boost and a significant reduction in environmental detail. Then look how good Forza 4 is in comparison. Things are only going to get better from here and IMO this is a great starting point.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sithlord3k wrote: »
    Have they given any indication if it will be Q1 2014 ?

MS's Major Nelson.said it will happen , but they don't know when.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MS's Major Nelson.said it will happen , but they don't know when.

Speaking of Major Nelson he was in a video with Boogie. Pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-qxDdgiaWo
    Forum Member
    http://revision3.com/host/adam-sessler

Adam Sessler Ryse Review

2 stars (out of 5)

Fantastic visuals but samey,predictable enemies make for leaden, repetitive combat.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    And that is exactly what my impressions were when I played it.
    Forum Member
    The good news is that my best mate has this on pre-order so this is now one that he can fetch round for me to have a go at before i make my mind up.

Maybe wait for a drop in price or hope that its one of the 'Games with Gold' titles next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Promotional footage at E3 quite frequently looks better than the finished product, especially with launch games that are pushing new hardware to its limit. If you failed to notice that before now, you haven’t been paying attention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that Forza, Killer Instinct and Ryse all with season passes and "pay to win" Microtransactions? Well Microsoft looks like they have set their stall out early. Sadly though they will still be defended by a few, who lets be honest, deep down they know themselves they are wrong. They are just in too deep at this stage.

Gamers who chose PS over Xbox must be sitting smugly now.
    Forum Member
    Is that Forza, Killer Instinct and Ryse all with season passes and "pay to win" Microtransactions? Well Microsoft looks like they have set their stall out early. Sadly though they will still be defended by a few, who lets be honest, deep down they know themselves they are wrong. They are just in too deep at this stage.

Gamers who chose PS over Xbox must be sitting smugly now.

How is Killer instinct 'pay to win'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JakeMurrin wrote: »
    Promotional footage at E3 quite frequently looks better than the finished product, especially with launch games that are pushing new hardware to its limit. If you failed to notice that before now, you haven’t been paying attention.

And by playing attention you mean reading this thread on Neogaf

Are you really going to try and pretend you are somehow knowledgeable on video gaming? Only last week you stated that Infinity Ward released the COD map packs on xbox first first because
    Xbox has long been the console of choice for most hardcore COD players, and Activision has responded by giving them exclusive content
    that whole exclusivity deal with all the monies may have helped :D

You like that kid in the playground that nobody likes so you just make stuff up to try and fit in. Sad really
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is Killer instinct 'pay to win'?

Well if you want to unlock the character you are the best with how else do you do it?
    Forum Member
    Well if you want to unlock the character you are the best with how else do you do it?

Seriously?

I'll give you Forza, I'll even give you Ryse although i'm not sure if Ryse has any PVP multiplayer. Killerinstinct however, can be purchased in full for £16.99. There are other transactions in place, but those are purely aesthetic (clothing etc).

Its certainly not 'Pay to win' as you can't buy any upgrades etc.

I'm with you on the whole micro transaction and season pass thing. It stinks. Especially when games hold back content to put in these season passes (forza 5). But im not sure where your coming from with the PS4 smugness. I want to own both consoles, how should i feel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously?

I'll give you Forza, I'll even give you Ryse although i'm not sure if Ryse has any PVP multiplayer. Killerinstinct however, can be purchased in full for £16.99. There are other transactions in place, but those are purely aesthetic (clothing etc).

Other transactions like season 2 and more characters you mean.
    Forum Member
    Other transactions like season 2 and more characters you mean.

You mean like added DLC content and content packs?Which just about every game has now days, Including Sonys?
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://revision3.com/host/adam-sessler

Adam Sessler Ryse Review

2 stars (out of 5)

Fantastic visuals but samey,predictable enemies make for leaden, repetitive combat.

Pretty fair. It's not a game of the year contender or the best advocate for the next gen console.
  • cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be buying Ryse it's just not my type of game, it kinda reminds me of that mmo on the PC called Age of Conan.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean like added DLC content and content packs?Which just about every game has now days, Including Sonys?

Doesn't Killzone: Shadow Fall have free multiplayer DLC for the duration of the title?
    To help increase longevity even further, Zuylen said the team plans to continue support for the title well after launch, which means all DLC multiplayer maps “will be released free of charge to ensure everyone can play.”
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yea I guess so, although adding 100% more characters to a fighting game is something I haven't seen before.

DLC can be done correctly. Microtransactions though I feel cant, they are done solely to bleed the player of his/her money by offering shortcuts or forcing you to keep up with the people that do spend. The fact that all 3 of Microsoft's day 1 releases contain Microtransactions says all needs to be said.
    Forum Member
    Doesn't Killzone: Shadow Fall have free multiplayer DLC for the duration of the title?

Fantastic.:D I wish more developers would do things like this. Unfortunately it doesn't happen often.:(
    Yea I guess so, although adding 100% more characters to a fighting game is something I haven't seen before.

Hopefully we see a good price for season 2. The prices for DLC in Streetfighter games are scandalous, around 12 quid for a costume pack? no thanks
    Forum Member
    DLC can be done correctly. Microtransactions though I feel cant, they are done solely to bleed the player of his/her money by offering shortcuts or forcing you to keep up with the people that do spend. The fact that all 3 of Microsoft's day 1 releases contain Microtransactions says all needs to be said.

I agree with you about micro transactions,i don't think they have any place in modern gaming. I have no idea why you think PS adopters should be smug though?Sony games will have them too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you about micro transactions,i don't think they have any place in modern gaming. I have no idea why you think PS adopters should be smug though?

I was talking about people who had to choose between a PS4 and Xbox one. If I picked an xbox one over a PS4 purely for the games and not due to fanboyish loyalty I would not be happy. And if I was a Forza fan well this paragraph taken from Eurogamer suns it up well.
    All that's left is the grind, and it's not a particularly pleasant one. Unlike previous outings, cars don't unlock upon levelling up. Everything must be bought in Forza Motorsport 5, and all transactions take place in a slightly misshapen economy. A series will, on average, net the player in excess of 110,000 credits for just under an hour's effort - but with some of the premium racecars costing well over a million, it's a somewhat brutal grind. Good job, then, that there are tokens purchasable on the Xbox One's marketplace for you to attain the car you're after, or to temporarily boost the rate at which you gain XP. When you've already paid £429.99 for a new console, £44.99 for the game and maybe even £349.99 for the only steering wheel that the game supports at launch, such tricks appear a little unsavoury, and in Forza 5, mechanics greedily smuggled from free-to-play games trample over the elegant RPG elements the series once embraced so effectively.

Im not saying Sony is better of the two. Its just at this stage with what Microsoft has done with their first 3 games is unsavoury. Its like they are trying to make up for the lost $$$ due to the reversals of their policies in the first week of this console relaese.
    Forum Member
    I was talking about people who had to choose between a PS4 and Xbox one. If I picked an xbox one over a PS4 purely for the games and not due to fanboyish loyalty I would not be happy.

So, you are basically saying that anyone who has purchased an Xbox one for games is a fanboy. Is that right?