Peugeot 206 cabriolet or Vauxhall astra convertible?

JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking to change from a mini cooper to a convertible and these are my 2 top choices.

I've had a pug 206 (non cabriolet) before and although I liked it cos it was nippy I found the pedals were too close together for my size 8 feet.

The vauxhall astra looks a lot roomier and has lower milage (52,000 compared to 80,000 for the pug) but is a grand more expensive and it looks like it'd be a bugger to park with the smaller back window.

Comments

• David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Astra is bigger, if that matters and the Astra might be faster depending on which engines they have. But i wouldnt go for either of them.
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a small budget and there's not that much selection in cheap convertibles.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a 206 cabriolet for 9 years, it's been very reliable and good fun - and despite the fact I also have size 8 feet, the pedals are fine for me! :)

As much as I love it, I want a four door car now... only for the sake of practicality though. My OH also has a convertible (though its a proper sports car) and that means we can't take his mum or my parents out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I've got a vauxhall tigra convertible, same as the Astra but a baby version.

Visibility is poor in the rear view mirror when parking, my little clio hatchback was easy compared to parking the tigra, just cos the rear screen is so small! It's better with the roof down...

I prefer the look of the vauxhall over the Peugeot. My other half drives my tigra and he has size 8's and he hasn't said anything about the pedals being too close together...
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    I've got the 2 litre 206cc and it is a lovely car, unless you are 6ft tall. However if you are on a budget the VED is £250/yr
  • JayCGeeJayCGee Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I've got the 2 litre Peugeot 206 CC, and I am 6ft tall! It's not really a problem, but I will say the 2 litre version is very thirsty and the road tax is more than I'm used to.

I've had it for just over 6 months now, it's great with the top down, the first convertible I've ever owned, cost me £2500, just under 65,000 on the clock, apart from having to replace the catalytic converter I've had absolutely no problems.

Cars like this get bought just for the summer months, so you might find a bargain about now, though it may have had quite a few owners, so make sure you get to see as much service history as is available and do all the online checks, etc. Be warned though, there is no room in the back seats. I think problems with the roof leaking have now mostly been fixed.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Mine doesn't leak (even with the pressure washer on it).

I am also over 6ft and whilst the driving position isn't too bad I always feel that in an accident I would hit the windscreen frame.
  • pete parkerpete parker Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    i have a renault megane hard-top convertible with a 1.5 dci engine. it's an excellent compromise - feels like a big car, but has excellent fuel economy. the VED is £115, which isn't too bad.

the 206 cc is an odd shape and a little small.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Julzei wrote: »
    I'm looking to change from a mini cooper to a convertible and these are my 2 top choices.

I've had a pug 206 (non cabriolet) before and although I liked it cos it was nippy I found the pedals were too close together for my size 8 feet.

The vauxhall astra looks a lot roomier and has lower milage (52,000 compared to 80,000 for the pug) but is a grand more expensive and it looks like it'd be a bugger to park with the smaller back window.

Why have you picked these two cars?

I would have the mini over both tbh. Neither are a great example of a convertible. If you want a convertible buy a car that was designed to be one (MX-5).