Oscar Pistorius Bail Hearing Begins

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    What? How can firing 4 shots, at close range, into a small room where you know there's is another human being, possibly be described as an accident?
    :confused:

Or do you believe that Oscar tripped and fell and the gun went off accidentally?

It was an accident that he killed her i.e. it wasn't intentional therefore it was accidental.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »
    ANC women's league: "What is distressing is the reaction of some men in court who jumped up and celebrated ... as if they had won a trophy"

I understand their relief. I don't understand their insensitivity.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    What? How can firing 4 shots, at close range, into a small room where you know there's is another human being, possibly be described as an accident?
    :confused:

Or do you believe that Oscar tripped and fell and the gun went off accidentally?

The shooting was intentional, the person hit was the accident.
  • GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand their relief. I don't understand their insensitivity.

Well put Jackie. They need some lessons in damage limitation i think.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    ^. Lost on some here also.

I don' t think her death has been lost by fms on here. What has been lost is the ability to see beyond 'if it was me, I would......', to understand that not everything is black and white, to understand that only the barest outlines of the evidence have yet been presented, and to realise that there has been some very misleading and speculative reports in the papers and by TV reporters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok lets even assume he was guilty and knew it was her in the bathroom. He could plead manslaughter as it was possible that she provoked him, people can get pushed beyond their limits. Maybe she mocked him for having no legs? Not that he really wanted to kill her but lost his mind in a moment of anger. That looks more like 2nd degree or man slaughter.

I'm gobsmacked! A woman calling a man names is an excuse for shooting her dead?! Good grief, I've heard it all now.
    Forum Member
    this is not like spilling juice over a carpet

nothing will bring reeva back her poor family :(

No it won't. Not even emotive posts.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People just believe what they want to believe, as long as it reinforces their pre-conceived conceptions. :(

pot, kettle.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I don' t think her death has been lost by fms on here. What has been lost is the ability to see beyond 'if it was me, I would......', to understand that not everything is black and white, to understand that only the barest outlines of the evidence have yet been presented, and to realise that there has been some very misleading and speculative reports in the papers and by TV reporters.

Well said.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reeva had herself recovered from a broken back sustained in a riding accident, and had to learn to walk again. She would have empathised with Oscar's disability.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shooting was intentional, the person hit was the accident.

I'm sorry but I don't buy that for a minute. Even if his story is true (which I doubt), it would still be murder, not an accident, as he still intentionally shot at someone in the circumstances I described above. The fact that the 'wrong' person got shot, does not make this man's actions an accident.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Treme, you little stirrer you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but I don't buy that for a minute. Even if his story is true (which I doubt), it would still be murder, not an accident, as he still intentionally shot at someone in the circumstances I described above. The fact that the 'wrong' person got shot, does not make this man's actions an accident.

No but it could make it culpable homicide.
    Forum Member

It does.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh funny Brits are saying Oscar getting bail shows SA in a bad light. What about Dewani who is accused by SA authorities of hiring people to kill his wife but is being kept safe in the UK and void extradition because he is depressed:rolleyes:

I'd send him back to SA like a shot if it was up to me.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok lets even assume he was guilty and knew it was her in the bathroom. He could plead manslaughter as it was possible that she provoked him, people can get pushed beyond their limits. Maybe she mocked him for having no legs? Not that he really wanted to kill her but lost his mind in a moment of anger. That looks more like 2nd degree or man slaughter.

it was not like a planned killing i.e Anni Dewani case.[/QUOTE]

In your own words...

"Oh so punish someone before he is found convicted? I cant believe the amount of prejudice against a man who has not been proven guilty. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty" Post #3136
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that explains it then. She might be biased like many female journalists covering this case.

Lol, you're just a charmer aren't you. :D You accuse me of lying & don't apologise & then attempt to offend all women journalists by stating that they're mostly biased. Don't stop now...you're on a roll ;)
    Forum Member
    I'd send him back to SA like a shot if it was up to me.

If he had any sense he'd go now of his own volition whilst the country's justice system is in such apparent disarray.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he had any sense he'd go now of his own volition whilst the country's justice system is in such apparent disarray.

Yes he should. Pity Assange didn't take refuge in SA.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I definitely saw "woops of joy" on here when the bail was granted, no different in my eyes than the "yes" shouted out in the court room.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guilty of her intentional murder or not, my take is that he will get off lightly. If only because the police seem to have stuffed up the investigation.

I would say the police were at a disadvantage anyway, given that Oscar had his best mate, his brother, lawyer and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, round to his house before the police got a look-in. He also removed the body from the scene, which will have obscured who knows what evidence.
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an accident that he killed her i.e. it wasn't intentional therefore it was accidental.

He intended to kill whoever was in the toilet. It wasn't an accident.
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar's PR team would do well to ask Kenny Kunene and his "entourage" to stop appearing in public to support him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    He intended to kill whoever was in the toilet. It wasn't an accident.

An accident to me, would have been OP firing one shot low into the cubicle as a warning shot - not pumping off four bullets!
This discussion has been closed.