Options

Video ad appearing on DS home page

radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When accessing DS on an ipad for the first time, I'm immediately redirected to a video for a car ad that takes up the whole screen. Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Options
    FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When accessing DS on an ipad for the first time, I'm immediately redirected to a video for a car ad that takes up the whole screen. Anyone else experiencing this?

YES!! it's so annoying!

I am also on an Ipad, what is annoying me is that this one pops up before I have even had a chance to read anything on Digital Spy - It appears the second I hit the home page, then often follows me around the site randomly re-appearing !

I contacted DS about this and have sent a screen shot (as per their request) that was on Monday 5th though and they have not got back to me.

I know it can be closed, but that is not the point really. My issue is that it appears before I have had the chance to view the site, that the close it option is in red on the left on a black background - it make it look like it should not be there, also it follows me around!

Even when I was sending a message to DS chasing my previous message it was all around the edges - I took a screen shot of that as well!

Anyway off to work now - hopefully it will stop popping up soon :)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's best to make a sticky thread about advertising problems ?

It would surely help the mods because we seem to get a new thread created each time someone has a problem, so having one specific thread to look at would surely be better?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    they don`t exactly rush to solve advert problems. ;-)
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    It's been happening to me for the past 5/6 days. I'm on an iPad too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Same here. That's why I'm using the computer instead. I was scared I'd actually clicked to buy the car the other day.
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)And same here! I thought it was me accidentally pressing an ad instead of a particular forum, but it happened several times just now and I knew that I was being really careful.

I've been accessing DS on my iPad for over a year now and not had this problem before except when I've pressed an ad in error.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theia wrote: »
    :)And same here! I thought it was me accidentally pressing an ad instead of a particular forum, but it happened several times just now and I knew that I was being really careful.

I've been accessing DS on my iPad for over a year now and not had this problem before except when I've pressed an ad in error.

Even a mistaken click on an ad is still a click as far as the advertiser/DS is concerned. People have been complaining about the horribly intrusive ads here for years.

Ive found the only way to use the site on a tablet is to disable javascript in the browser, but you do loose some functionality so I access the website on a different browser to my main one.
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    It's happened about six times in the last few minutes plus a redirect to the App Store! I had to disable Java last time it was happening with the William Hill redirect but it means I can't do certain things on the iPad then!
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes i have to hit enter or re-load to load up main forums because something like this is preventing the forums loading.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,838
    Administrator
    It's happened about six times in the last few minutes plus a redirect to the App Store! I had to disable Java last time it was happening with the William Hill redirect but it means I can't do certain things on the iPad then!

We've passed on reports about the car advert and they're being actively investigated. Did you manage to catch what was on the App Store for the event you're describing, fitnessqueen?
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    We've passed on reports about the car advert and they're being actively investigated. Did you manage to catch what was on the App Store for the event you're describing, fitnessqueen?

Dragon City Mobile this time! :D It's just happened again.
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad to see some of you have had replies from DS, I still didn't get reply to my last messages and email but I guess they are at least looking into it.

Personally I think it should be removed, or at least edited to make it clearer to close I.e. A normal big white x in right hand corner and no pop up as soon as you visit DS. Also once you have closed it you should NOT have it re-appear during your visit NO means NO guys! I am fed up of having it appear repeatedly during my visit to DS it is "stalking" me around the site! I am beginning to get paranoid about it now am concerned about how safe it is.

Still on IPad - still being annoyed by the damn thing - apologies for use of word damn!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't do that on my Google Nexus 7, I'm pleased to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is beyond a joke DS - all of the times someone has said Ipad on this thread are now showing as a clicky, the clicky is taking you to a Currys site! I did NOT put a link on my comment - what on earth is happening????

Edit. - clicky seems to show when you are not logged in - disappears when you are - still not happy though :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    may be worth linking these two threads together - looks like it's is same problem

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1961628

Interestingly on that one there are a heck of a lot of clickys showing, would be curious to know if these are being put on by DS or by forum members, the ones I spotted are as follows:

Apple, further down was a Laptop Computer

An IPad then an iPhone followed by Windows XP.

Then finally advert that started it all the (Nissan Qashqai)

I have put it in sentence form so I can see how this is working.

I have only typed the names of the clickys I have not copied and pasted anything. With the exception of the original link to the other thread.

My experience before was that they were only visible when I logged out of the forum and viewed as a visitor, but the links are clickable - taking you to places like Amazon and EBay etc. Off to clear my cookies and browsing history ... Again!!!
  • Options
    ZimzammamZimzammam Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I seem to get redirected to app. Store on most sites I visit. Not sure if it's an ipad thing, but it's damned annoying!
  • Options
    tigermadtigermad Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zimzammam wrote: »
    I seem to get redirected to app. Store on most sites I visit. Not sure if it's an ipad thing, but it's damned annoying!

Me too especially amazingribs.com. I wonder why this is happening?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On an iPad the Quasqai ad opens full screen and there is no way to get rid of it without closing the site, starting the site, seeing the ad, repeat ad nauseum.
  • Options
    tigermadtigermad Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blinking taking me to some app on the appstore now. :(
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    On an iPad the Quasqai ad opens full screen and there is no way to get rid of it without closing the site, starting the site, seeing the ad, repeat ad nauseum.

The x to close the page is not in the normal place. It's found in the middle of the screen a little towards the left hand side.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had it on the web browser. A sudden loud blast of sound and no idea where it's coming from. Really annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is beyond a joke DS - all of the times someone has said Ipad on this thread are now showing as a clicky, the clicky is taking you to a Currys site! I did NOT put a link on my comment - what on earth is happening????

Edit. - clicky seems to show when you are not logged in - disappears when you are - still not happy though :(
    may be worth linking these two threads together - looks like it's is same problem

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1961628

Interestingly on that one there are a heck of a lot of clickys showing, would be curious to know if these are being put on by DS or by forum members, the ones I spotted are as follows:

Apple, further down was a Laptop Computer

An IPad then an iPhone followed by Windows XP.

Then finally advert that started it all the (Nissan Qashqai)

I have put it in sentence form so I can see how this is working.

I have only typed the names of the clickys I have not copied and pasted anything. With the exception of the original link to the other thread.

My experience before was that they were only visible when I logged out of the forum and viewed as a visitor, but the links are clickable - taking you to places like Amazon and EBay etc. Off to clear my cookies and browsing history ... Again!!!

I't may seemodd that I am quoting my own quotes but although I am still getting that annoying video ad - DS have advised me by email they have their advert guys on the case. Regarding my other issue - the "in text advertising" I thought I had a virus of some kind on my Ipad but having found the thread below from 2013 it looks like DS do use this kind of thing! So unless something has changed since then they still do!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1819445

I wish someone had told me this as I have been going round in circles trying to figure it out!

Now one last thing does anyone know how I can get it to stop when on ipad using safari when not logged on to DS but on DS? Or do I just have to put up with it?
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    The App Store has just opened grr. I'm also getting the Qashqai advert.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,838
    Administrator
    Hi all,

We've heard back from our ad team this morning stating they believe they've solved the issue with the pop ads on iPad (cars) - could you try again and let us know how it goes?

Thanks