Options

DS Issue - firefox

kezokezo Posts: 11,086
Forum Member
✭✭
I just logged on just now and I am noticing my firefox is displaying "firefox has stopped 2 pop up windows" click for more

I am aware of DS carrying ads but whats with the pop ups now??

I know I may have posted this in wrong section I apologise but wondered if anyone has had something similar (just began recently)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever had such issues. Not sure if you have Ad Block Plus or not, but I'd recommend downloading it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever had such issues. Not sure if you have Ad Block Plus or not, but I'd recommend downloading it.

I don't use adblock on this site at all - just firefox running as normal - issue seems to have gone oddly so unsure whats been happening. Use this site regularly too :confused:
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    I'm using bog standard IE8 at work and it's gone into meltdown with popups.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    I'm using bog standard IE8 at work and it's gone into meltdown with popups.

Can I ask when did it start acting up with "pop ups" and are you stil affected?
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    kezo wrote: »
    Can I ask when did it start acting up with "pop ups" and are you stil affected?

About 4ish. Seems to be OK now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just logged on with Firefox and I'm pop up free, if that helps.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Methinks somebody may need to run a malware and AV scan.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Methinks somebody may need to run a malware and AV scan.
    Agreed.
    It sounds like the advert stream was poisoned again with malicious ads.
    I consider ad blocking an integral part of my internet security.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS have a lot of dodgy ads. I downloaded adblock on firefox after seeing it recommended here. Now I have no ads anywhere. It's bliss.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't had the pop ups kezo but I also use the excellent Adblock Plus extension with Chrome variant Comodo Dragon browser. Like others have said a virus scan would also be a good idea. You could use your anti virus scanner but I tend to use the quick Malwarebytes anti malware (free) on demand scanner or the even quicker Hitman Pro (free). Both are excellent.

Ghostery is another excellent extension that blocks other trackers, web bugs etc that Adblock Plus might miss.

Another extra layer of protection I use is Norton ConnectSafe. Blocks dodgy sites and it's free:

https://dns.norton.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I just got the exact same message for the first time on here and i am using firefox too,no malaware or viruses here as i did a full scan last night and this is the first time using my laptop since,no one else uses it either.

Firefox did update a few days ago but i have logged on here since then and not had the pop ups blocked message until today,i just told it not to tell me when pop ups are blocked in future.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had problems using IE 11 as it kept freezing and also had problems with Firefox as well in that it would go very slow and come up with blank pages.
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had problems with the site being slow earlier, I'm now getting 2x full page ads popping up every time I change page on DS
  • Options
    FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    I just logged on just now and I am noticing my firefox is displaying "firefox has stopped 2 pop up windows" click for more

I am aware of DS carrying ads but whats with the pop ups now??

I know I may have posted this in wrong section I apologise but wondered if anyone has had something similar (just began recently)

It could be the very annoying video advert for Nissan Quasqui that we have been having problems with on Ipad as well! The sodding thing has been following me around DS for about 10 days! Have a look at the links to the threads below:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1960556

And http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1961628

As you can see there are similarities. Gremlins are afoot in DS :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weird how we have had something going on

update from me - DS is normal with me - during the time this happened I was immediately scanning on Avast/Malware Bytes but nothing was detected

I maybe suggesting something but its possibly nothing but I did recently have windows update last night - but I can't see how that would affect DS (just a random thought) - if I get more issues then I will add an ad blocker on firefox (again never had issues before)

thanks all for your feedback :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    About 4ish. Seems to be OK now.

That was about same time with me :o