Options

Happy Valley - Tues 29th April BBC One

Comments

• Options
    mikkyhmikkyh Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    Sarah Lancashire's character was soooo unbelievable, what with the constant heroism and Wonder Woman routine.

I'm thinking you're going to be one of an extremely small minority (of perhaps one or two) to have that view but it's still an opinion and I appreciate it.

However. Was she really constantly heroic or a Wonder Woman? I don't think she was. At times she seemed more of a human being than I am. She had moments where she was a nasty person, times when she made mistakes and scenes in which you could tell that she just wasn't coping at all.

I believe we saw a wide range of emotions and personal behaviours. From what I could tell, she needs some therapy or counselling. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just remembered that Joe Armstrong (Ashley) was in something a bit similar to this a couple of years back on BBC1 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2148433/

Btw - how do you make a hyperlink be a word or a sentence that still directs you to the website you want it to?
  • Options
    mikkyhmikkyh Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That moment when... http://imgur.com/vqk7aKj
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheJazzman wrote: »
    You mean Hebden Bridge. It's a nice twee picturesque town and is considered to be the lesbian capital of Britain

And affectionately known by it's Haligonian neighbours like myself as the drug town with a tourist problem :D
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the writer already had series 2 in mind when they had the councillor arrested for drugs, he probably ordered the death of Ashley. This will lead to some corrupt police officers and plenty of scope to continue.
    Maybe Ann will join the force? she is a very strong person and although having a privileged upbringing she is very grounded.
    I have loved this from the first episode and I'm sad it's ended, superb tv!
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I loved the series but I was a bit disappointed with the final episode. Could have been so much better.
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    If they were boyfriend and girlfriend rather than him raping Becky, then there's definitely still a story to tell around her family and of course someone else to blame and hunt down - someone I suspect that will be a drug dealer

Especially as Sally has said
    Sally also did a Q&A on the BBC One twitter account and said she'd be interested in writing a 2nd series. I can't see the BBC not recommissioning this, I just hope the story is there as I wouldn't want it to tarnish what has been a fantastic series. She said her favourite scene was the Catherine/Tommy one outside the school.
    extraextra wrote: »
    Isn't the actor playing Ryan flippin fab? well done lad.
    I was very impressed by him.
    cavalli wrote: »
    Those kicks were immensely satisfying!!! :D
    +1 :D
    Parthenon wrote: »
    A very satisfying end to a great series. :) Bravo to all involved.
    My thoughts exactly.
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Great ending but from the way Daniel was talking, about 'respecting the ones that know the truth' about Becky I was expecting some big twist regarding her death / Ryan's paternity.

I was relieved they didn't go there with the paternity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Public Enemies (2012)

YAY! - I figured out how to do that word-link thing. :D
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »
    I loved the series but I was a bit disappointed with the final episode. Could have been so much better.

How?

I thought it was a terrific final episode, and I really cannot think of anything that would have improved it. What more did you want?
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »
    How?

I thought it was a terrific final episode, and I really cannot think of anything that would have improved it. What more did you want?

A bit more drama, it just went out with a whimper!
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed this series and was sad to see it end, never watched Broadchurch so can't offer a comparison between the two but I will say that Olivia Coleman will have to put in a mind boggling performance to beat Sarah Lancashire to the Bafta next year as she was absolutely fantastic in this.

I never imagined that Ash would be killed, I thought we'd seen the last of him last week as I had assumed he would go into witness protection along with his family immediately. Can't say I was too sympathetic though, he knew the risks all along and simply got greedy and too big for his boots by organising something that he had no control over ultimately. I sort of feel sorry for his wife as she did not know what he was getting up to and of course I feel bad for his kids, will be interesting to see whether his wife is in the next series.

Kevin was a horrid little bag in this too, obviously Nevison had not been the greatest boss in the world or human being even but to call him into the jail just to basically rub salt in his wounds was really low and must have done away with any sympathy that anyone could have felt for him up until that point I would imagine. His wife also has a cheek to complain about not getting his pay cheque considering she was happy enough to let the kidnap go on in order to get her hands on the dirty money. I was hoping Kevin would cave in and tell the police just how much his wife knew so she would get her just desserts too.

I really loved the bond between Anna, Nevison and Helen in this episode. I agree with some comments in this thread about the possibility of Anna becoming a Police Officer herself in the next series. She was unbelievably brave and unselfish when she helped Catherine out of the basement and saved her from being beaten to death by Tommy, most people would have fled immediately after being given the chance to escape so for her to stay behind and save someone who she did not know after all she had been through was really impressive and brave, I think we might see more of her next time around and that would be nice.

I am left wondering after the comments made by Daniel tonight regarding Becky having a thing for Tommy whether Tommy will also play a part in the next series. Is it possible that maybe Tommy did have a genuine relationship with Becky up until he went to jail? Of course that does not discount rape, he could have still raped her in one of his fits of anger but part of me thinks that this particular story is not over yet. It could be that Becky, having seen her boyfriend get sent down for a few years, realises she is pregnant and is ashamed to tell her mother who the father is so concocts the rape storyline then kills herself due to PND and guilt. I know some on here have suspected that the father might be responsible for fathering Ryan and that's another possibility.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, I could ramble on some more but I have done enough of that already!
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that went out with a boring whimper, & all that smoking, Yuk. The last 2 episodes could easily just been one. The dead bodies looked rather "Fresh" didnt they?
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Norton (tommy) is on Good Morn Britain just after 7.30. In the trailer for that they mentioned that they would be talking about a second series. I bet he does not give anything away or even know anything but you never know!
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Norton (tommy) is on Good Morn Britain just after 7.30. In the trailer for that they mentioned that they would be talking about a second series. I bet he does not give anything away or even know anything but you never know!

What a lovely smiley young man he is :)
    To play a vicar in his next TV role coming out in a show called 'Grantchester', and also is in a film called 'Belle'.
    He does not seem to know if another series will be made.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very well spoken young man. Playing a country vicar in his next part. Couldn't be more different! Also in a new film (period drama) called Belle(?) When asked about 2nd series he said that he would hope there would be but was obviously up to Sally W and Sarah L. Said he hoped he would not spoil things if he said he would not be in it, by that I think he meant that T would be in prison.
  • Options
    Surf's UpSurf's Up Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't top that, so I think they should quit while ahead and rake in the awards. I thought she picked up the extinguisher with a view to setting him on fire before putting him out, giving him the "years in agony needing his arse wiped" scenario he threatened her with.
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for mentioning that. I would have missed it if you hadn't. It's always a relief to watch an actor interviewed in real life after playing such an unpleasant part :)
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surf's Up wrote: »
    They can't top that, so I think they should quit while ahead and rake in the awards.

I feel the same as to leave it as a one off show, but as it has been so popular I bet they do another one.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Who do we think killed Ashley?
  • Options
    lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was gripped by this for the whole six hours. Fantastic writing and acting from all involved.
    Really refreshing to see a grown up drama. The violence was shocking but never gratuitous.

As someone else has said, I never got the hype over Broadchurch. Far too strung out and slow in parts. By contrast Happy Valley kept me on the edge of my seat throughout and had characters I really cared for.

Sarah Lancashire has to be up for a Bafta nod after this!
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Providing you ignore the unlikely final confrontation between Catherine and Tommy, it was a satisfactory ending. But if we're honest, a rapist kidnapper who was also a triple killer (one of his victims being a police officer) would have resulted in a nationwide manhunt. Catherine wouldn't have had to plead with her superior officers to get their fingers out and start doing something, that was just plain daft. Just think of some of the recent real-life cases.
    I also thought it should have ended by the canal, the reconciliation with her son at the end looked contrived and unnatural after the dramatic and powerful scenes at the party.

But I can live with that. As a series it was immensely enjoyable.

That's exactly what I said. That no wonder Catherine was pissed off when little effort seemed to be being put into capturing a dangerous serial killer and rapist.

Dramatic license has to be made sometimes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Who do we think killed Ashley?

Like Catherine said, he named names. He was put in a dangerous position.
    So, some anonymous drugs dealer not part of the story.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surf's Up wrote: »
    They can't top that, so I think they should quit while ahead and rake in the awards. I thought she picked up the extinguisher with a view to setting him on fire before putting him out, giving him the "years in agony needing his arse wiped" scenario he threatened her with.

Remember in the first episode when that lad was threatening to set himself on fire, she borrowed a fire extinguisher from a local shop and ended up spraying it over him (and was then faced with a bill from the shopkeeper!) so I think it was just her normal response in that situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was gripped by this for the whole six hours. Fantastic writing and acting from all involved.
    Really refreshing to see a grown up drama. The violence was shocking but never gratuitous.

As someone else has said, I never got the hype over Broadchurch. Far too strung out and slow in parts. By contrast Happy Valley kept me on the edge of my seat throughout and had characters I really cared for.

Sarah Lancashire has to be up for a Bafta nod after this!

The problem with Broadchurch was they had about 10 'suspects' and trying to make them all look and sound suspicious was what I found so boring.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Tommy*, done in by The Railway Children! :D

K

* (not really)