BBC2 The Honourable Woman Thursdays from July 3rd

Comments

• RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    It's called exposition, every drama has it and it's hard to disguise. There are certainly less pretty ways to cover the back story.

The purpose of act 1 is to set the scene.

I admire your confidence in advising Hugo Blix on how he should develop his drama.

I know it's called exposition, and I did say that it was quite brave to make the viewer endure a long speech so early in the series. Brave, but also a trifle arrogant in my humble opinion. I think the scene could have been set in a more viewer-friendly fashion.
    As for Mr Blick, I don't care about reputations. I'm an armchair expert, and that's all that counts on here. :)
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    I know it's called exposition, and I did say that it was quite brave to make the viewer endure a long speech so early in the series. Brave, but also a trifle arrogant in my humble opinion. I think the scene could have been set in a more viewer-friendly fashion.

As for Mr Blick, I don't care about reputations. I'm an armchair expert, and that's all that counts on here. :)
    You are indeed, with knobs on.

If I could, I'd encourage Blix to take notes of how he might better structure his act 1 exposition.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Absolutely hooked already. M.G. is a fantastic actress.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came across this by chance and think it's great - really enjoying it.

Are they really brother and sister? I didn't get the impression that the boy was related to the girl or her father in the beginning, when they were in the restaurant. Don't know why.

I've a feeling the 'nephew' Kasim was smuggled out of the country (Palestine?) and the father wants him back. Not sure who his mother is.
    or
    Maggie's character promised to do something in exchange for Kasim, but 'that' something failed. ie. the death of the Palestinian...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »

To that end, her secure but cell-like sleeping pod seemed a huge clue - poss the consequence of what happened when she was kidnapped.

That was my impression, too.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pubey wrote: »
    We don't know that she sleeps there every night.

Why is it not really a panic room? It was a panic room because that's what very wealthy people have when there's a sustained threat against them. It had no 'every day' stuff, just communications link and a very strong door.

Panic room suggests you go there in a time of panic, which was not the case when she went into it very calmly. I would just call it a safe or secure room.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    She chose to sleep without bedding on a hard surface, perhaps suggesting deeper psychological issues. It's possibly she was replicating the kind of security she felt when she was kidnapped - Stockholm Syndrome, etc.

That would tie in with her crying (because of the death of the Palestinian fibre optic guy). Not to mention her brothers nanny who seems to be somewhat ambiguous.

I guess we saw quite a lot of the hugely secure outer persona and got two or three hints of the inner character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    The little boy who played the brother looked much more middle eastern - at least he had dark hair, rather than fair/ginger - than his adult version. Neither child looked comfortable with the man who was supposed to be their father. Were those children the real offspring?

I missed your post before posting mine. :blush:

That's exactly what I noticed - something very odd about their relationships.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Panic room suggests you go there in a time of panic, which was not the case when she went into it very calmly. I would just call it a safe or secure room.

There was also a couple of shots of the bed which was immaculately made. I presumed it was because she had a cleaner but I suppose its because she never sleeps in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Random concept.
    The little girl looked far more arabic than the woman she grew up to be. I suspect Nessa and Atika have swapped places a long time ago, and Atika is the real sister who saw her father murdered.

That's a possibility - Perhaps they swapped places when they were both kidnapped?
    Nessa is finding it increasingly difficult to carry on - hence her crying.
  • pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member

It was a panic room. Communications link, very basic, hidden and very solid door, thumbprint access. A safe room is just another term for a panic room.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_room

She didn't need to go in there, but she did. The points about Stockholm Syndrome are all valid - it was clearly some kind of reference to what's happened to her previously.

That doesn't take away from what that room was though. It was clearly a panic room and I don't get why there's a debate about it really!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a panic room. Communications link, very basic, hidden and very solid door, thumbprint access. A safe room is just another term for a panic room.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_room

She didn't need to go in there, but she did. The points about Stockholm Syndrome are all valid - it was clearly some kind of reference to what's happened to her previously.

That doesn't take away from what that room was though. It was clearly a panic room and I don't get why there's a debate about it really!

As I wrote, I don't debate the purpose of the room. Just the name of it. If she uses it regularly, then it is not, by definition for use in times of panic.
  • pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    As I wrote, I don't debate the purpose of the room. Just the name of it. If she uses it regularly, then it is not, by definition for use in times of panic.

So what happens if someone breaks in, she doesn't use it because it's regularly used?! That doesn't make any sense.

It's a panic room. It's clearly there to keep her safe from an invasion. She happened to use it last night to sleep. That doesn't change the definition of what the room is though.

Another random thought - maybe there is evidence of a security risk and she's been told to use it at night??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what happens if someone breaks in, she doesn't use it because it's regularly used?! That doesn't make any sense.

It's a panic room. It's clearly there to keep her safe from an invasion. She happened to use it last night to sleep. That doesn't change the definition of what the room is though.

Another random thought - maybe there is evidence of a security risk and she's been told to use it at night??

Where did I say she'd not use it if someone broke in? We'll have to agree to disagree. I'll continue calling it a safe room (which covers both uses).
  • NooneNoone Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    Random concept.
    The little girl looked far more arabic than the woman she grew up to be. I suspect Nessa and Atika have swapped places a long time ago, and Atika is the real sister who saw her father murdered.

My thoughts too. :)

Although I did think the brother looked more 'out of place' and very pale considering his Mum and Dad looked more 'Middle Eastern' - being totally stereotypical here.

I was wondering about Kasim not really looking part of his 'family' too, and now wonder if he's Atika's son.

Enjoying it very much so far. MG very convincing.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    I'm in.

A bit confused, but I think that's intentional. I'll be watching next week.

(I didn't see The Shadow Line).
    I lasted about 15 minutes with that - but this, THW, hooked from the start...and Maggie G's accent, very good.

And yes, confusing in parts - what is in the Attic....plus the Bodyguard was rubbish.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    I lasted about 15 minutes with that - but this, THW, hooked from the start...and Maggie G's accent, very good.

And yes, confusing in parts - what is in the Attic....plus the Bodyguard was rubbish.
    BIB - that was just his secret exit so he could meet his opposite number from Mossad without anyone knowing - IIUC.

K
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    I thought this was a stunning opener.
    The pacing was a welcome return to classic British dramas of old rather than the whiz bang of Line Of Duty and the likes (not a criticism of LOD, there is room for both styles, but pacing in dramas like The Honourable Woman seems to have been missing of late) I hope it continues throughout the remaining 7 episodes.

It will be interesting to see how all the strands develop and begin to come together.

It has been a great year or so for British drama, Broadchurch, Line of Duty, The Village, Happy Valley to name a few, and now this gem.

Absolute class from start to end, flawlessly directed, edited and acted. Add me to the 'hooked' list. :)

Cant wait to get home from work and watch it again.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member

Maggie is really pretty!!

Her brother is verrrry tasty too ;-)

This is a very classy production, it's got me gripped, can't wait for part 2.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noone wrote: »
    I was wondering about Kasim not really looking part of his 'family' too, and now wonder if he's Atika's son.

Yes, he is Atika's son - remember when he wandered off from the dinner and she found him she told him about what happens to children who don't tell their mother where they are going (or something along those lines). Then there was that scene with her stroking his head and tucking him in. Also in the cast list the characters (Kasim and Atika) both have the surname Halabi. Also you would think that if he was Ephra and Rachel's son, they would be a bit more bothered about him going missing! And at the dinner, Rachel said, "the girls won't eat any of that", not "the children won't".

About "young Nessa" and "young Ephra" not looking very like their adult selves - I just put that down to problems with casting rather than anybody swopping identities, etc. Shlomo said he had been loyal to the Stein family since before Nessa was born, so I think he would have noticed! I read an interview with Andrew Buchan where he said he was cast in the role quite late on, and surely that would mean they didn't have very long to cast his younger self.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    We don't know that she sleeps there every night.

Why is it not really a panic room? It was a panic room because that's what very wealthy people have when there's a sustained threat against them. It had no 'every day' stuff, just communications link and a very strong door.

It looks like a sort of medical room. Maybe she's ill and it's a private medical
    area (for chemotherapy?) Maybe the show is borrowing the "seriously
    ill protagonist" idea from "Breaking Bad" and "The Big C".
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    surfking wrote: »
    The Shadow Line - Gatehouse
    The Honourable Woman - Hugh Hayden-Doyle

I don't think they are the same character- although it would be neat if
    Gatehouse returned as the antagonist of "The Honourable Woman". :cool:
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    BIB - that was just his secret exit so he could meet his opposite number from Mossad without anyone knowing - IIUC.

K
    Yes it was, wasn't it - maybe because it was cut with Maggie G, getting away from her guards, where no one said much - I got confused...which is going to happen a lot, during this series, if I stick with it.
  • reddressreddress Posts: 26,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random concept.

Interesting theory, I noticed the little girl looked more middle eastern than Maggie G but I though that might just have been problem in casting.
    I came across this by chance and think it's great - really enjoying it.

Are they really brother and sister? I didn't get the impression that the boy was related to the girl or her father in the beginning, when they were in the restaurant. Don't know why.

I've a feeling the 'nephew' Kasim was smuggled out of the country (Palestine?) and the father wants him back. Not sure who his mother is.
    or
    Maggie's character promised to do something in exchange for Kasim, but 'that' something failed. ie. the death of the Palestinian...

I noticed that too. I almost got the impression the girl was a guest, particularly when the bodyguard immediately went into protection mode for the boy whilst the girl seemed like an after though.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    reddress wrote: »
    Interesting theory, I noticed the little girl looked more middle eastern than Maggie G but I though that might just have been problem in casting.

I think it is just casting, I watched it again last night and noticed that Gyllenhaal has very similiar eyes to young Nessa even if their skintones don't quite match. Also, Atika has dark brown eyes so I don't think a switch is plausible.
    I noticed that too. I almost got the impression the girl was a guest, particularly when the bodyguard immediately went into protection mode for the boy whilst the girl seemed like an after though.

I think that was just a cultural thing, Ephra being the son was seen as more important since he was the heir to the business etc.