Options

Missing cat :(

2»

Comments

• Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get neighbours' cats wandering in through the cat flap and stealing food until I fitted a microchip-operated one. Only my cat gets in now. :)
  • Options
    aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I have no idea how she got into the neighbours house, she couldve mistaken it for my house possibly? Although our neighbours house has a lot of kids and they're quite fond of our cats, my dad has a theory that they lured her into their house as he saw them feeding our cat once. I guess we'll never know though, i am overly protective of her now though, like i close the garden doors/windows at night time as i dont want her wondering off again, eventually ill let her out at night but im not comfortable with it atm!
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's an indoor cat why do you let it outside at all?

Glad you've found your cat, was hoping it would be a happy ending. She's such a lovely cat. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi OP - I am so happy for you. Same thing happened to my cat a few years ago and she was missing for 5 days. I was lying on my bed thinking about her and she just wandered in through her cat flap and lay down beside me - I cried with relief. They do love to go wandering and snuffling around on these warm days and nights. I'm so glad you've got your little one back xx
  • Options
    aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PERILLA wrote: »
    Hi OP - I am so happy for you. Same thing happened to my cat a few years ago and she was missing for 5 days. I was lying on my bed thinking about her and she just wandered in through her cat flap and lay down beside me - I cried with relief. They do love to go wandering and snuffling around on these warm days and nights. I'm so glad you've got your little one back xx

Oh i know that feeling! :D. I do hope everyones cat returns on his thread, never give up hope :)

Sunset dale - its cause we have a big garden and i feel as though im depriving them of the fresh greenery :p , they do go to the garden from time to time in the summer but return after like 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I used to get neighbours' cats wandering in through the cat flap and stealing food until I fitted a microchip-operated one. Only my cat gets in now. :)
    That'll be my Dexter :blush: We have a magnet operated flap but next door don't, so he just lets himself in. We had no idea until he didn't come home for hours because they had called their cats in for the night and locked the flap. They had 3 cats for the night and never knew :D

aliyah, I'm so glad she's home. She's a beauty!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    That'll be my Dexter :blush: We have a magnet operated flap but next door don't, so he just lets himself in. We had no idea until he didn't come home for hours because they had called their cats in for the night and locked the flap. They had 3 cats for the night and never knew :D

aliyah, I'm so glad she's home. She's a beauty!
    Yes it's good to know she's back home.

I've always thought magnetic cat flaps are a sort of half-way house, as the cat has to wear a collar (which could get lost), and presumably it could be unlocked by any cat wearing a magnetic collar, whereas a microchip one is programmed for only your cat or cats (mine will cater for up to 32 cats - should be enough for anybody!!). The batteries last for ages, too.
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Yes it's good to know she's back home.

I've always thought magnetic cat flaps are a sort of half-way house, as the cat has to wear a collar (which could get lost), and presumably it could be unlocked by any cat wearing a magnetic collar, whereas a microchip one is programmed for only your cat or cats (mine will cater for up to 32 cats - should be enough for anybody!!). The batteries last for ages, too.
    We did look into changing the cat flap (it's been there since we lost our old cat some years ago) but decided as it was working and Dexter wears a collar with a tag engraved with our phone number, we'd leave it for now. When it breaks we will certainly look into getting a microchip one.

I suppose we've been lucky that no other cats seem to have magnets around here.
  • Options
    itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliyah101 wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I have no idea how she got into the neighbours house, she couldve mistaken it for my house possibly? Although our neighbours house has a lot of kids and they're quite fond of our cats, my dad has a theory that they lured her into their house as he saw them feeding our cat once. I guess we'll never know though, i am overly protective of her now though, like i close the garden doors/windows at night time as i dont want her wondering off again, eventually ill let her out at night but im not comfortable with it atm!

I was never comfortable with letting our cat out at night ever, so I didn't. He was only out all night on a couple of occasions and that wasn't by my choice but only because for some reason he never came when I called him which was highly unusual. I was frantic.

I used to work at a vets and they always promoted the idea that cats should be kept in at night mainly because they reckoned it's when they are more likely to go missing and/or get injured. So if you don't want to let her out at night then imo you shouldn't feel that you have to. :)
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cats get locked in at night, partly because the cat flap is right by my bedroom, and if they were coming and going I'd never get any sleep, but also because I worry they'd come to harm in the dark. When it gets to about 9pm, the cat flap goes on "in only" so once they're in they're stuck until I let them out next morning.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys!

So after 4 days of searching, talking to neighbours, putting up posters and generally getting so emotionally and physically drained, i almost gave up. However my neighbour came to our door yesterday night to tell us that she thinks our cat is hiding in her bedroom. We literally ran to their house to find that my cat was hiding under the corner of her bed looking incredibly scared, i called out her name and she started meowing and walking towards me so i picked her up and took her home :). Ofcourse we're going to give our neighbour a cake as a thank you.

Im so delighted to have her back and we will definately microchip her, she was quite traumatised but managed to drink so much water and finish two bowls of food and slept beside my leg the whole night. Heres a picture of her http://tinypic.com/r/r7nm8y/8 :).

Thanks all for your contributions. Mimicole, i really hope he returns to you soon, i know exactly how bad the stress can be <3. If someone is feeding him then atleast hes being cared for (even though they should really find out who the cat belongs to)

She's absolutely gorgeous. Maybe something had spooked her.

So pleased she's been found.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,163
    Forum Member
    So pleased for you, OP; it's horrible when they disappear. I know; our cat disappeared two weeks ago today. This is him: http://www.bournemouth.cats.org.uk/bournemouth/lost-and-found?id=34688

Went out at night, which we never liked and got him in whenever we could but he refused to come back at bedtime sometimes. On this occasion he never came back. Totally out of character; he never went missing before. Done all the suggestions, but no joy. Fear the worst now and beginning to accept we'll never see him again.

You know, if someone could invent a little GPS tracker for cats - something the size of a 10p piece - they'd soon be rich beyond their wildest dreams. Hopefully someone's working on it.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »
    So pleased for you, OP; it's horrible when they disappear. I know; our cat disappeared two weeks ago today. This is him: http://www.bournemouth.cats.org.uk/bournemouth/lost-and-found?id=34688

Went out at night, which we never liked and got him in whenever we could but he refused to come back at bedtime sometimes. On this occasion he never came back. Totally out of character; he never went missing before. Done all the suggestions, but no joy. Fear the worst now and beginning to accept we'll never see him again.

You know, if someone could invent a little GPS tracker for cats - something the size of a 10p piece - they'd soon be rich beyond their wildest dreams. Hopefully someone's working on it.

Oh I am so sorry to read that! I had a cat turn up after 5 heartbreaking weeks so don't give up hope. No idea where she'd been and she just strolled in.

You last paragraph, yes what a great device that would be. Good luck love.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh please please never give up. I had a friend whose cat had been missing for 6 weeks and was found living happily two streets away with another family. He had been coming to their back door every day and they thought he was a stray. They fed him so he just stayed. It's wrong to feed other people's pets but I would never judge anyone for being kind to an animal. I will keep popping in here to see if you have any news. xx
  • Options
    itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So sorry to hear your puss is missing too afcbfan.:(

The fear of them going missing is the main reason I can't bring myself to have another cat. After my boy passed away in 2012 aged almost 20 I told myself enough is enough.
    Now I find myself worrying because I haven't seen my new neighbour's puss around for a few days. :o So your idea of a little tracker for cats would be a dream come true, I'm sure, for all puss lovers especially in this warm weather when they are prone to wander off more. Really, really hope your little one comes home soon. :)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Somebody said to me that it was possible to track your missing pet through the micro-chip but apparently that's not true. I called her micro-chipping company the first time that she went missing and they said that they don't do that, which is pretty pointless. What's the point in having a micro-chip if you can't trace your pet?
    PERILLA wrote: »
    Oh please please never give up. I had a friend whose cat had been missing for 6 weeks and was found living happily two streets away with another family. He had been coming to their back door every day and they thought he was a stray. They fed him so he just stayed. It's wrong to feed other people's pets but I would never judge anyone for being kind to an animal. I will keep popping in here to see if you have any news. xx

This is what I suspect is happening with our Bungle. She's been gone now for nearly 7 weeks. :( I'd rather that she was being looked after than the thought of something terrible happening to her, but she clearly looked like a cared for cat and not a stray. If this is the case, at some point they'll have to take her to the vet for something and she'll be returned to us, particularly if she's taken to our vet. She's very distinctive and they'll know immediately that she's being looked for, check the micro-chip that we gave her and call us. Whether or not she'll stay with us is another matter...
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Somebody said to me that it was possible to track your missing pet through the micro-chip but apparently that's not true. I called her micro-chipping company the first time that she went missing and they said that they don't do that, which is pretty pointless. What's the point in having a micro-chip if you can't trace your pet?

I think a chip like that would have to be much bigger than the ones currently used and much more expensive, possibly with their own powersource. Though the way technology goes it'll probably be practical in a few years.
    Of course the point of having the current generation of chips is so if the cat is taken to a vet/rescue it can be scanned and returned to its carer.
    Also I find my cats chip very useful as she has a chip reading catflap that only lets her in and leaves the two local greedy cats outside!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They do exist, though a bit more bulky than that. In fact they did a whole series of TV programmes some time ago based on tracking where cats roamed when they went out.

Google "cat GPS" and you'll find quite a few different products exist. Whether you want to spend around £125 is up to you, of course! :)
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,114
    Forum Member
    Hi guys!

So after 4 days of searching, talking to neighbours, putting up posters and generally getting so emotionally and physically drained, i almost gave up. However my neighbour came to our door yesterday night to tell us that she thinks our cat is hiding in her bedroom. We literally ran to their house to find that my cat was hiding under the corner of her bed looking incredibly scared, i called out her name and she started meowing and walking towards me so i picked her up and took her home :). Ofcourse we're going to give our neighbour a cake as a thank you.

Im so delighted to have her back and we will definately microchip her, she was quite traumatised but managed to drink so much water and finish two bowls of food and slept beside my leg the whole night. Heres a picture of her http://tinypic.com/r/r7nm8y/8 :).

Thanks all for your contributions. Mimicole, i really hope he returns to you soon, i know exactly how bad the stress can be <3. If someone is feeding him then atleast hes being cared for (even though they should really find out who the cat belongs to)
    my Dennis did that last year....he was in the yoga teachers house, they had been away and had just returned after a couple of days and my leaflet had just gone through their door....so happy for you
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,114
    Forum Member
    afbcfan and mimicole..hope you get some good news soon x