BBC iPLayer New version

juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
Forum Member
How is it possible to take a simple search file webpage ( iplayer) and make it more complex by dividing categories channels a-z search functions so that we maust navigate for days now to find anything.

The old version was user friendly, simple and "broad" layout gave you an at a glance choice.

Now ....even if you DO KNOW which programme you want to watch it takes more "clicks" and navigation to find it ?

Change for change sake methinks.( simplifying would be th e logical "advance")

Makes the ITV site look classy now LOL

Used to be that a front/ home page glance would scroll through programmes just shown.......now F knows what the front/ home page is all about ?

(p.s I am computer savvy, just seems the layout has been chopped up by a moron )

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's basically about them promoting other shows isn't it? It's all marketing. The old, simple, homepage has been nixed in favour of one which better allows them to push the shows they want.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Facebook, then youtube, now the bbc WHO THE HELL IS HIRED TO RE-DESIGN THE WEBPAGES AND WHY DONT THE GIVE US A CHOICE LIKE YAHOO DID.
  • didiedidie Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    The new version absolutely stinks.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    I think that the new site is dreadful, it's simply a marketing page dressed up as a social networking BBC TV guide.

It's a pain to look at and a page to navigate - in fact, it's so bad that the BBC felt it necessary to include a video tutorial on how to use it.

No longer can I browse to a page for a certain channel (such as BBC4) and list all of the programmes available to watch. Now I have to trawl through the programmes on a day by day basis, and even then many of the programmes listed aren't available for re-play.

What a joke.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that my first impression is a negative one but I'm hoping that's just because I'm not used to it yet.

At one point I had a list of all comedy shows but for a large number of them I clicked only to get a message that they didn't have any episodes of that show available to listen to. Well don't list it then!

I used to get a list of all comedy, both radio and TV, and don't see why they have to split them. I've found that a lot of the TV comedy series, for example Mitchel and Webb, work almost as well when you just listen to them (probably due to the fact that so many of them were radio shows to start with).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Jeez, it's not that bad. Just search for the show you want, not difficult.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Jeez, it's not that bad. Just search for the show you want, not difficult.
    That's fine if you've missed a particular show and want to catch it.

But that wasn't really how I used it, I used it is to listen to comedies, quizes and sometimes plays (crime and thriller serialisations or now and again Terry Pratchett) or to catch up on TV comedy shows from across BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, Radio 4 and Radio 7.

I often have no idea what's actually been on those stations in the past week, but then I didn't need to. I could just select comedy, order it by date order and look down the list and find out that from the last week I could catch up with Just a Minute and Clare in the Community from Radio 4, Roger & Val from BBC2, Ideal from BBC3 and Giles Webbly-Hogg Goes Off from Radio 7.

That's not something I seem to be able to do now...not that I've found out yet anyway. It's not impossible to use, I've never claimed it to be, it's more more fussy and less user friendly than it used to be.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    You should all signup to the iPlayer messageboards and give it a good slamming there.

When it first came out I stuck with the beta for about a week mainly to try out the new favourites options but I agree that the new interface is pants.
  • ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Girlfriend and I hate it too.

When you were stuck with nothing to watch it was great with the old version to just click on a channel and see everything in a certain channel with a certain genre. Now you can't do that. You have to know what you want, A lot of people don't use it like that, they use it to find something on a whim
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any announcements when they'll add other channels programmes through metadata sharing?
  • registerheavenregisterheaven Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a repeat of the BBC News website/Youtube to me. Fixing something that isn't broke
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shit design, whoever did it needs firing. the previous version was so simple and easy to find new programs now it's all over the place.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the problem? The search box at the top right takes you straight to the show you want to see.

Anyway, I prefer to use iPlayer on my Freesat box so I can watch in comfort on my TV. It's a different interface.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    What's the problem? The search box at the top right takes you straight to the show you want to see.
    Anyway, I prefer to use iPlayer on my Freesat box so I can watch in comfort on my TV. It's a different interface.

THAT is the problem.

Iplayer is supposed to be a catch up website.

The old version would list programmes chronologically to date so you could just look at a certain channel / category and see what you missed. SIMPLES !!!

How can you search for something you missed if you dont know what you missed !!!

BBC need shooting. obviously thier philosophy is .....
    ,,,,,," if it aint broke.....fix it until it is .."
  • QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really annoyed about no longer being able to popout the player, I loved that feature when surfing.
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »

That's great if you know the name of the programme. However, how about if you just want to browse what's available on a certain channel? Yes, you can browse alphabetically but then you also get to see a list of all of the programmes that are NOT available to watch.

The "new, improved" iPlayer is a major failure on that point alone. I haven't even touched on the fact that it's a mess, is hard to navigate, has some completely useless 'social networking' features, that it's hopeless for informing you of programmes that you might like (no, I do NOT want to watch Eastenders, I hate the damn thing, so stop telling me that I can now watch it!), etc.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see other people want different things from iPlayer.

Personally, I go to iPlayer if I have missed a programme that I wanted to watch, not to find out anything that's available.

I suppose I tend to plan rather than browse.
    Forum Member
    I do both - or rather, I did until this new version came along.
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason the new version keeps crashing Firefox on my desktop too, worked fine on the old version. :mad:
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. So there.
    Forum Member
    I wish I did! :)
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    I often have no idea what's actually been on those stations in the past week, but then I didn't need to. I could just select comedy, order it by date order and look down the list and find out that from the last week I could catch up with Just a Minute and Clare in the Community from Radio 4, Roger & Val from BBC2, Ideal from BBC3 and Giles Webbly-Hogg Goes Off from Radio 7.

That's not something I seem to be able to do now...not that I've found out yet anyway. It's not impossible to use, I've never claimed it to be, it's more more fussy and less user friendly than it used to be.

Seriously...
    Scroll down, there is a section called "Categories" then choose "Comedy > Show All Comedy"
  • didiedidie Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I used to like to go the BBC Four page and find all kinds of gems there. That's not an option now. I don't want to know what's popular or want featured pages (the BBC pushing me to watch their preferences). The categories they provide are also rubbish. Why isn't there a history one?
    Forum Member
    Is there also an option that allows you to:

Go to channel > List only those programmes on that channel that are available on iPlayer

Nope, afraid not. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously...
    Scroll down, there is a section called "Categories" then choose "Comedy > Show All Comedy"
    Seriously...

Look at that list, notice anything? Now look at the top of that list. It's all TV.

If I want to look at Radio comedy after looking at TV I have to select Radio > Comedy > Show all comedy all over again.

Yes it doesn't take much in time or effort but previously, as my example clearly showed if you actually bothered to read it, I didn't need to even do that as I got all comedy from all mediums in one go.

:D