Insidious

jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
Forum Member
✭✭✭
First things first, still got the Rio ad beforehand.

Secondly the film.

Lots of scary people and lots of loud, erm, very loud music.

The start for me was very slow and I did think about leaving as I was starting to fall asleep, not bad seeing I had only been awake for 90 minutes!
The film picked up briefly before becoming very ridiculous towards the end, I won't say to much as it will spoil it for you.

Can't really say to much more without spoiling the film for you.

Due to the fact the film started slow and was in parts just stupid. I feel I can only give it a 5/10 rating.

Just don't forget to put cotton wall in your ears if you want to make the stupidly loud music quieter.

Comments

• YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    We're seriously in need of a good horror ... Its been a while !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I hate that, the way they replace genuine scares with the crescendo of loud music.

saw the trailer for this a while ago, looked a bit scary with a shadowy figure hovering in the background, then I watched the trailer again in slow-mo and realised it was just Darth Maul.

reviews saying it's a Poltergeist rip-off.
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film certainly "borrows" heavily from others - however, I still think it can stand as a decent horror movie on its own. The scares are well done, I especially liked
    the figure walking back and forth outside the window and suddenly he was in the room, the first time the demon appears directly behind Josh and when the ghost hunter first sees the girl in the hallway through his filtered viewer.
    The usually innocuous song 'Tiptoe through the Tulips' added to the horror in the same way 'Jeepers Creepers' did with the appearance of The Creeper, my only criticism would be the ending -
    I don't like films that leave so many questions!!!!.
    Overall a good horror film, though I agree with Yuffie, we're seriously in need of a good horror....
    8/10
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    Tremse wrote: »
    The film certainly "borrows" heavily from others - however, I still think it can stand as a decent horror movie on its own. The scares are well done, I especially liked
    the figure walking back and forth outside the window and suddenly he was in the room, the first time the demon appears directly behind Josh and when the ghost hunter first sees the girl in the hallway through his filtered viewer.
    I haven't genuinely jumped at a "supposedly" Horror film in a long time but the scene with the pacing back and where he suddenly appeared in the room scared the crap out of me it was completely unexpected!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the reactions of the audience more than the film. It was a decent enough film, don't get me wrong, but there was so many problems with it for me, specifically in the second half.

The slow start was a good thing. It built up a lot of tension and the occasional "boo" type scene was made more frightful. I mean simple things like the seeing empty corridors and open windows, followed by a random flash of a man standing there are more psychologically scary in the setting they were in.

Then it just got very silly and started to spoonfeed the audience, and the investigators completely spoiled the flow of the horror/tension by being funny.

When will horror film makers realise we don't need to see, in this case, the daemon in order to be scared? It made the film more like a kids fantasy towards the end and completely let me down.
    I mean, the daemon looked like something you'd see in Doctor Who, or from Avatar, or a copy of Count Orlok from Nosferatu with a red face. It completely spoiled the entire film being in that 'dream' world.
    ...and how uber-predictable was "it's not your house which is haunted... it's your son"? I giggled a lot because half of the audience said "it's your son" before the woman said it, ha!

However, bravo to them making such a film with a budget of just $1.5million.
    Forum Member
    Bloody ad above means i can't see the last response! FFS DS!
    Forum Member
    tvtimes wrote: »
    Bloody ad above means i can't see the last response! FFS DS!

I block em :p
    Forum Member
    I block em :p

I didn't know you could do that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    i thought it started well and built up the atmosphere but it just got sillier and sillier towards the end. Very dissapointed.
    Forum Member
    zevons1958 wrote: »
    i thought it started well and built up the atmosphere but it just got sillier and sillier towards the end. Very dissapointed.

Yeah the demon bit was saft. But the actually spirits are great.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed Insidious, it was like a fairground ghost train ride with lots of jolts, clearly signposted by crashing music!
    I found the shift in tone from when the dorky ghostbusters came in onwards a bit strange though. the first half was generally played fairly straight, then in the second half we had all sorts of comedic elements in it such as the aforementioned ghost busters, the lady putting on the ludicrous gas mark, the guy resting his head on raw steaks, the face the monsters looked pretty rubbish etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Was it better than...
    Saw 3D = Yes
    Scream 4 = Yes
    PA 2= Yes
    Red Riding Hood - Yes
    Rite - Yes
    Resident - Yes
    New Nightmare - Yes
    New Jason - Yes

So far best (mainstream) horror films of the last two years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldnt look atthe sceen for the 2nd half. I was frikened. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barneyboy wrote: »
    I couldnt look atthe sceen for the 2nd half. I was frikened. :cry:

My mate (who I saw the film with) says two 13 year olds from his school sneaked in to see this film on Friday and left half way through because they were too scared:D
  • teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this - a god old fashioned scary movie :eek::D
  • Gary GlimmerGary Glimmer Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Started off ok then got a bit silly half way through. Should have kept on the path of the opening half.
    Forum Member
    Started off ok then got a bit silly half way through. Should have kept on the path of the opening half.

I think this is the general overriding opinion from critics and the audience. I know it's definitely my opinion on the film, too.
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jalal wrote: »
    Was it better than...
    Saw 3D = Yes
    Scream 4 = Yes
    PA 2= Yes
    Red Riding Hood - Yes
    Rite - Yes
    Resident - Yes
    New Nightmare - Yes
    New Jason - Yes

So far best (mainstream) horror films of the last two years.

I loved SAW 3D and haven't seen Insidiuous yet... so we'll see. :p
  • colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. It was quite creepy when they were playing a slightly crazed version of Tiptoe through the tulips and she saw that figure dancing in the living room, and I think thats how creepy films should be - you only see people and things from a distance, or blurred images and shadows. Once you start actually seeing things closely such as the demon it starts to look a bit silly, and I didn't particularly like those two comic ghost buster types, but overall I really liked it and thought the twist at the end was very good.:D
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and how uber-predictable was "it's not your house which is haunted... it's your son"? I giggled a lot because half of the audience said "it's your son" before the woman said it, ha!

Well, that scene is in all of the trailers :D

I'm watching this tonight, really looking forward to it. I've wanted to see it since I saw the first trailer on TV, it really gave me the creeps :o
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I loved it! :D

Very, very scary. This is the type of horror film that I love, one that relies on actual scares rather than bucket loads of gore. Don't get me wrong, I love slashers, but because I just do, not because they scare me (which they don't).

The ghosts are easily the freakiest ghosts I've seen in a film.
    THE SMILES! :eek:
    Forum Member
    The last Ghost film to actually make me jump before this film was The Sixth Sense many years ago when it was released. I have seen endless supposedly scary films and Ghost films since then and they have never made me jump the way Insidious and The Sixth Sense did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    tvtimes wrote: »
    I didn't know you could do that?

firefox...ad block plus...job's a good 'un ;)
  • OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from watching this & found the last part a bit daft
    where Josh goes to get Dalton from "The Further" & you see the spirits, the didn't look scary, more funny & ruined the use of your imagination

Did anyone see the hint towards a
    Saw 8? When Josh called his wife to say he was staying late to mark papers, you could see a drawing of Jigsaw's face on the blackboard with a 8 underneath it
    Forum Member
    Just back from watching this & found the last part a bit daft
    where Josh goes to get Dalton from "The Further" & you see the spirits, the didn't look scary, more funny & ruined the use of your imagination
    The latter half of the film ruined it for me. It was really good in the first half, then we get to see the spirits and the red faced devil thing. It completely ruined it and turned it into something like a Doctor Who episode.
    Did anyone see the hint towards a
    Saw 8? When Josh called his wife to say he was staying late to mark papers, you could see a drawing of Jigsaw's face on the blackboard with a 8 underneath it

I hate Saw, but well spotted!