Options

Ghostwatch

PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
Forum Member
Seeing as Halloween is upon us, I thought I'd start the obligatory Ghostwatch thread and see if people wanna share their memories of being scared sh*tless over the thought of Pipes standing over them while they slept. :D I watched it last year, and it's still creepy as hell. My favourite moments, despite how OTT is its, is when the studio starts going to hell and all the cameras start surrounding old Parky.

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never saw this at the time, so have always felt a bit left out.:(
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,409
    Forum Member
    I didn't know this is on dvd! I haven't seen it since it was shown the first time and I saw it with my mum and sister. We were a bit scared at the time, it was a bit of a bizarre and surreal experience watching it all unfold :eek::D I'm going to buy it, thanks for reminding me of it!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creeped me out big time. And I was in my twenties! :o

It was the end bit with Michael Parkinson acting weird that got me in particular.

(Should really rewatch it. Sure it's hilarious in retrospect!)
  • Options
    hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm never sure if it's a good or sad thing that we were naive at the time and a lot of people believed it (including a teenage me) and that people are far more tuned in to this kind of thing now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I believed it at the time as I was 14 and my mum went to a neighbours house for a drink. After it was over I wasn't sure if it was for real or not and rang directory enquiries for the number of BBC. I was told by the operator that everyone is asking for their number tonight so they will be swamped with calls. I then phoned the BBC and after being on hold for close to an hour when they finally answered I asked specifically was Sarah Greene and the sound man OK lol.
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the 21st anniversary this year since the first and only time it was broadcasted.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,650
    Forum Member
    I was 9 and I was absolutely terrified, but I did think it was real back then. I'd love to watch it now.
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    The only spooky thing is how often this myth gets regurgitated. Kids were laughing at how naff it was when it went out. If anyone fell for it they were branded the village idiot. Yet on and on the myth goes.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever you think of it, it was an imaginative bit of TV. in the days when the BBC employed talented people.

Shame on the brainless dipsticks who complained that it frightened them.......after all, that was the whole frickin' idea
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever you think of it, it was an imaginative bit of TV. in the days when the BBC employed talented people.

Shame on the brainless dipsticks who complained that it frightened them.......after all, that was the whole frickin' idea

But not when it came to casting the actors in this. :D Still, it was fun and, as you say, imaginative.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean Parky and Sarah Green ?

Fair enough, but for the show to work, well known real life TV presenters lulled the audience
    into the spooky embrace of false reality.
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it certainly generated a right to reply programme (although part of a series) especially for this one programme.

Biteback BBC (two weeks after the event)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUyhN-gq8xk
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean Parky and Sarah Green ?

Fair enough, but for the show to work, well known real life TV presenters lulled the audience
    into the spooky embrace of false reality.

I was thinking of the mother (especially) and daughters, and the lady playing the doctor. I found the latter most amusing, especially when she was playing 'irate'. :D
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It scared the living daylight out of me! I think what made it most convincing was well-known presenters seemingly believing what was going on. I remember hearing at the time that people were phoning Scotland Yard to ask them to come out and recue the children involved.

These days we are less naïve and I doubt we'd be taken in, I mean look at Most Haunted!
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    The only spooky thing is how often this myth gets regurgitated. Kids were laughing at how naff it was when it went out. If anyone fell for it they were branded the village idiot. Yet on and on the myth goes.

Not a myth, in fact. A lot of people did believe in it. But it is true that most people knew it was a drama and laughed at those who believed it.

(The BBC never even pretended it was real, by the way; it was always advertised as a drama)
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't someone commit suicide over this programme?
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,056
    Forum Member
    Well it certainly generated a right to reply programme (although part of a series) especially for this one programme.

Biteback BBC (two weeks after the event)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUyhN-gq8xk

Unfortunatly we now live in a world where buffoons like some in that audience can complain on a never ending loop via email and social media.

The producers from the show are clearly aghast at having to explain drama and TV to adults.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    It really was a very clever show in many ways, but one which would never work these days for various reasons - just goes to show how much had changed in the past 20 years.
  • Options
    Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »

Nope, was just a silly rumor. However one child was apparently excused from school for a month because he could not sleep after watching it.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was into it until the doctor appeared in the studio. I immediately recognised her from Lost Empires. School friends (we were at a boarding school where we watched this) didn't believe me that the doctor was actually an actress (whose name I eventually found out is Gillian Bevan). None of them could sleep that night. My roommate was so scared that she talked me into leaving our bedroom light on all night. :o:D
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »

There were headlines about it, yes, but I think the police couldn't find a proven link between Ghostwatch and the suicide victim. I think there were later reports that the victim had a long history of mental health problems and perhaps Ghostwatch was a trigger, but not the cause.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People were more naive in those days. Society was nicer! But it was easy to excuse those believing it due to the BBC putting a realtime digital date and clock on the screen to suggest it was live. This doesn't feature on the DVD of course.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never saw it at the time,and only saw it about a year ago on dvd. It's good fun and entertaining,what more do you want from a tv programme?
    Spoilt ever so slightly for me,as Gillian Bevan who played the doctor in the studio, was instantly recognisible (to me) as Claire, the head in 'Teachers' (which I have watched many times!)
  • Options
    bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was terrifying for me. I was 13 and awatched with my dad - even he was scared. I have it on dvd, and watching it back now, its hilarious. They definately were more innocent days.

the best memory is the day after it was shown, they had to drag sarah greene out for an apperence on the broom cupboard - to prove she wasnt dead. haha, happy days.