Can anyone bear to advise on another Ebay problem?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've never had a problem before but:

I recently won an auction for a pair of Jimmy Choos, brand new in the box from a recent collection - worth £450 to give my sister in law for Xmas.

I won them for £100 and obviously was delighted with that as I never expected to win at such a low price.

Lo and behold, the seller has contacted me to say her puppy has chewed the heel and so she has refunded me.

I have to admit I just don't believe her and think she didn't want to let them go so cheap so she's trying to pull out. I'd have a lot more respect if she was just honest about it!!

I have asked for photos of the damage showing the whole shoe but she is not being cooperative.

Any thoughts? Thanks you very much :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red tulips wrote: »
    I've never had a problem before but:

I recently won an auction for a pair of Jimmy Choos, brand new in the box from a recent collection - worth £450 to give my sister in law for Xmas.

I won them for £100 and obviously was delighted with that as I never expected to win at such a low price.

Lo and behold, the seller has contacted me to say her puppy has chewed the heel and so she has refunded me.

I have to admit I just don't believe her and think she didn't want to let them go so cheap so she's trying to pull out. I'd have a lot more respect if she was just honest about it!!

I have asked for photos of the damage showing the whole shoe but she is not being cooperative.

Any thoughts? Thanks you very much :)

You can't do anything, she's refunded the money.

You could open a dispute with Ebay but it won't get you anywhere.

I agree she refunded you because she didn't get enough for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Thank you.

It's made me disproportionately cross!

I can't help but think we made a contract and she needs to provide evidence as to why she is breaking it.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happens, very little you can do. You'll be less angry the next time it happens
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't help but think we made a contract and she needs to provide evidence as to why she is breaking it.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to work like that. Go and check out the official forum on the Ebay site and you'll see many cases like this and many times the line trots out "a seller can't be forced to sell you anything, even if you won."

I believe you can report them as a Non-Performing Seller, though. That's something else I've seen a lot of ebay members talk about but have never done it myself.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    They were probably fake anyway as most branded stuff on ebay is. You may have had a lucky escape.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks people.

I wish she'd just been honest - it's the ridiculous lie that's irritated me.

Never had this happen in hundreds of good ebay experiences before :(
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were probably fake anyway as most branded stuff on ebay is. You may have had a lucky escape.
    True. Think yourself lucky that the deal fell through, red tulips.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    If you don't agree to cancel the transaction then the seller has to pay out the final value fee I think, normally 10% so £10. Also you can leave negative feedback, the seller can't. I would write an honest comment, for example 'very disappointed seller claimed they were eaten by the dog & refunded me'.
    That way, if it seems to be a regular occurrence, then it will be clear to ebay and other potential buyers.
    Oh and if you see the shoes re-listed next week by the same seller I would report them (but I doubt they'd be that stupid, although frequently people are that dim).
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks people.

I wish she'd just been honest - it's the ridiculous lie that's irritated me.

Never had this happen in hundreds of good ebay experiences before :(

It may just be true so be careful what you write.

keep a watch out on Ebay in the next few weeks and If it is a lie, she'll be stupid and post them again. Then you'll know for sure she was telling porkies.

Otherwise, let it go and get on with life.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    If you don't agree to cancel the transaction then the seller has to pay out the final value fee I think, normally 10% so £10. Also you can leave negative feedback, the seller can't. I would write an honest comment, for example 'very disappointed seller claimed they were eaten by the dog & refunded me'.
    That way, if it seems to be a regular occurrence, then it will be clear to ebay and other potential buyers.
    Oh and if you see the shoes re-listed next week by the same seller I would report them (but I doubt they'd be that stupid, although frequently people are that dim).

I would be also tempted to bid highly on them so no one else can purchase them and then tell her your dog chewed your money so you have to cancel the purchase.

:D
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    I would be also tempted to bid highly on them so no one else can purchase them and then tell her your dog chewed your money so you have to cancel the purchase.

Magic!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is brilliant!!! Although knowing my luck Ebay would find against me and I'd have to cough up!
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    This is brilliant!!! Although knowing my luck Ebay would find against me and I'd have to cough up!

No you wouldn't, you may get a strike against you but there is no way they can force you to pay.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You really are an evil genius aren't you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    - Email them and explain your suspicions. Explain that if she can't provide a photo of the damage you'll understandably have to leave negative feedback. if she won't supply a photo it's a blatant case and leave the neg.
    - Report them as a non-performing seller. If they make a habit of this they'll get struck off.
    - Don't agree to cancel the sale. If you do, they get off scot-free.

I can't stand sellers who pull this - they only have to put a reserve on there or raise the starting price. Not on to muck buyers about grr!!
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like your style... ;)
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Neg her
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Cant you set a minimum starting price?

For example if she isnt willing to sell them for less than £200 why not start the bid at that? Set a reserve like they do in real life auctions.

If ebay run a scheme like that then i think she should have to proove the item is damaged to both you and ebay or she should have to sell the item for the agreed price.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone bear to advise on another Ebay problem?

Where does the bear come into it? (Growl) ;)
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

Opening a dispute with Ebay will help protect other ebayers. As poor sellers will eventually lose their accounts if they pull this kind of trick. Open an INR dispute, and upon the dispute being ruled on, leave negative feedback and low stars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks all.

I feel like I'm being really petty but it's a point of principle.

I am slightly concerned that she has my address though and I don't know anything about her at all.

I've used Ebay for ages but I'd never really encountered the downsides : (