The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV announces Law & Order: UK is to take a break from our screens

Bradley Walsh to leave after eight successful series.

The final episode of series 8 of Law & Order: UK scheduled for Wednesday 11 June (9pm on ITV) will be the last to be transmitted for the foreseeable future, ITV and producers Kudos announced today.

The hugely popular series starring Bradley Walsh, Ben Bailey Smith, Peter Davison, Georgia Taylor and Dominic Rowan is to be rested by the channel.

“There may well come a time when we re-visit Law & Order: UK,” said ITV’s Director of Drama Commissioning Steve November. “For the moment we’ll be resting the series whilst we continue to refresh our drama slate,” he added.

The move coincides with Bradley Walsh’s decision to depart the successful crime drama to pursue other projects, both in drama and entertainment.

“Ronnie Brooks is one of my best friends,” said Bradley. “It’s been an absolute pleasure to inhabit Ronnie’s Mac for as long as I have. Eight series is a wonderful achievement for everyone involved in the production. This has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. I hope one day to revisit him, but for now I’d like the opportunity to pursue other drama projects which ITV are developing,” he added.

“Don’t forget you have one more chance to watch Ronnie in action on 11 June. I’d really love fans of the series, old and new, to watch the final episode to give the series a fitting and proper send off.”

Created by acclaimed US show runner Dick Wolf and based on the US franchise, Law & Order is one of the most successful American primetime television franchises and has become a firm favourite with the ITV audience since first broadcasting in 2009.

Law & Order: UK is produced by Kudos, a Shine Group company, Wolf Films and NBC Universal, with Executive Producers Jane Featherstone and Alison Jackson on behalf of Kudos and Dick Wolf for Wolf Films with Jane Dauncey producing series 8.

“It’s been a privilege for Kudos to produce Law & Order: UK over the last eight series,” said Jane Featherstone. “It’s success and huge audience appeal over all of these years is a testament to the cast, crew and production team who have worked tirelessly to bring such great drama to air,” said Jane.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-announces-law-order-uk-take-break-our-screens#.U44lbCj4Liw

Can't say I'm surprised. It wasn't rating high enough to warrant another commission. It was timeshifting well, but that is not going to make ITV money. I suspect the demos weren't that good either.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy Valley will be over 6million tonight, in fact I'm willing to bet it will touch 6.5m. Truly deserved if it does though, I don't often praise BBC drama, but this has been the best.

Not long now :D
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shame about Law and Order UK as it's a decent show, but once Bradley Walsh was wanting to move on, it was going to be curtains for the show as he is the star name in the programme. Plus I couldn't really warm to Ben Bailey Smith in the role as Ronnie's sidekick. I much preferred Paul Nicholls and Jamie Bamber in the role.

The ratings were quite low for the last series as well, so no surprises at all. It'll be good to keep rerunning the episodes on ITV3 though. I enjoy watching the repeats.
  • aberdaberdonianaberdaberdonian Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Anyone got any Games of Thrones official figures for this season, including time shifted? I assume it must be getting close to 2 million?

These are the ratings for the Monday 9pm (and +1 showing) only. The ratings of GoT are miles ahead of anything else on Sky Atlantic.

7th April: 1.21m (+1: 0.06m)
    14th April 1.68m (+1: 0.07m)
    21st April: 1.67m (+1: 0.09m)
    28th April: 1.6m (+1: 0.11m)
    5th May: 1.64m (+1: 0.08m)
    12th May: 1.66m (+1: 0.1m)
    19th May:1.64m (+1: 0.1m)
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    ITV announces Law & Order: UK is to take a break from our screens

Bradley Walsh to leave after eight successful series.
    As I said a few weeks ago, Bradley Walsh is now working on a major international project for the BBC. He's becoming part of the BBC family and had to sacrifice certain things. That included Bore and Order UK which plummetted in the ratings this latest series without the Coro oap-boosting lead-in and in recent years has always been a mediocre rater. Hopefully the BBC can tempt him over full time which could jeopardise the future of The Chase.
    Forum Member
    A shame about Law and Order UK as it's a decent show, but once Bradley Walsh was wanting to move on, it was going to be curtains for the show as he is the star name in the programme. Plus I couldn't really warm to Ben Bailey Smith in the role as Ronnie's sidekick. I much preferred Paul Nicholls and Jamie Bamber in the role.

The ratings were quite low for the last series as well, so no surprises at all. It'll be good to keep rerunning the episodes on ITV3 though. I enjoy watching the repeats.

Not really surprised considering its ratings. It has the second lowest series average for an ITV drama this year so far. Only the one-off, "Not Like This, Like That" has rated lower.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    As I said a few weeks ago, Bradley Walsh is now working on a major international project for the BBC. He's becoming part of the BBC family and had to sacrifice certain things. That included Bore and Order UK which plummetted in the ratings this latest series without the Coro oap-boosting lead-in and in recent years has always been a mediocre rater. Hopefully the BBC can tempt him over full time which could jeopardise the future of The Chase.

I had a suspicion that he was going to leave L&O after that new BBC show was announced. A shame, really, as he was excellent in L&O, but it was never a series which got people excited sadly.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Bushmills do you know how D-Day 70 did yesterday at 9.15 on BBC1?

1.2m / 24%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the Channel 5 +1 figures for Illegal Immigrant and Proud because viewers may decide to watch it after Crimewatch or British Airways or Games Of Throne?

It didn't seem to add any more viewers - the figure for +1 was also 1m
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    It didn't seem to add any more viewers - the figure for +1 was also 1m

Slightly odd; I thought that would be a show that would benefit from +1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next Monday's rating will be intriguing as at 9pm ITV has Road Rage Britain: Caught On Camera and then at 10pm C4 have CCTV: Caught On Camera. Proper innovation there.

"Creative renewal", they call it.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bore and order? Mature stuff, how old are you? 12?
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Thanks Yorkie and NeilW

The Chase returned well, it will gradually rise and has knocked of a good 700k-1million from Pointless.

Pointless was less than half a million down on Friday's episode.
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Its my nickname for Law and Order uk. A very boring show, a pale shadow of the American flagship show. No wonder the ratings for it were so mediocre.

Doesnt help that it was filmed with guerilla camerwork, was dark and quite gritty at times. For the mass audiences, a lighter crime drama like New tricks and/or Death in Paradise is much more accessible.
  • Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do know he has a new game show in development for ITV as well, he isn't just dumping ITV gigs for the BBC. God forbid someone could work quite happily for both...

As for Law and Order why don't they just say it is cancelled rather than rested?
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    You do know he has a new game show in development for ITV as well, he isn't just dumping ITV gigs for the BBC. God forbid someone could work quite happily for both...

As for Law and Order why don't they just say it is cancelled rather than rested?

There maybe is a possibilty that they could bring it back.

Its the kind of show that doesn't depend on a star.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    There maybe is a possibilty that they could bring it back.

Its the kind of show that doesn't depend on a star.

For me Bradley was the star and without him I'd rather it finish tbh, while it could come back with others I don't think it will and 8 series is a good run. They obviously wanted to try and get some viewers of the back of the Law and Order franchise but it never really took off in the way they wanted.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    1.2m / 24%

That's a good rating for an interesting programme. Watched it on iPlayer. Good to see some factual in daytime that's a break from food, consumer affairs and antiques.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Holy moly, Happy Valley was OUTSTANDING! This has been the best BBC drama in years. There will be BAFTA's all round next year. Sarah Lancashire has come a long way since the marvellous creation of Raquel. There needs to be a second series.

I hope it gets a good rating tomorrow. Heck I'm gonna predict 7 million!
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

I wouldn't have bothered replying. That post is riddled with bait in every sentence, calling it silly names if for his own amusement.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, better than Broadchurch. And it'll be an annual returning hit for the BBC, rather than returning every 2 years like BC. So it'll be a more potent ratings force in the schedules in the next few years.
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a fantastic end to Happy Vally this really has been a great peace of television.
    Forum Member
    BBC voice over at the end of Happy Valley....."you can now pre-order on DVD series 1 of Happy Valley". Guess it's coming back then.

As much as I have been gripped by the series, i do wonder how a second series could possibly maintain the high level of suspense and drama. The whole hook of series one has revolved around Sarah Lancashire's character having a personal involvement in the unfolding crime. How can they replicate that in any future series? I fear it would just become another run of the mill police drama.

It certainly will be a challenge for Sally Wainwright to come up with another gripping, but realistic storyline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC voice over at the end of Happy Valley....."you can now pre-order on DVD series 1 of Happy Valley". Guess it's coming back then.

As much as I have been gripped by the series, i do wonder how a second series could possibly maintain the high level of suspense and drama. The whole hook of series one has revolved around Sarah Lancashire's character having a personal involvement in the unfolding crime. How can they replicate that in any future series? I fear it would just become another run of the mill police drama.

It certainly will be a challenge for Sally Wainwright to come up with another gripping, but realistic storyline.

I agree it's a similar problem that Broadchurch faces, but tonight was a great finale to a great series well worth a watch if anyone still hasn't!
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Pointless was less than half a million down on Friday's episode.

Be interesting to see how Pointless does on Friday when it's on BBC2. The Friday schedule is a bit odd as some of the BBC1 regulars like Pointless, Bargain Hunt and Antiques Road Trip are moving over when you'd assume they would have the day off rather than waste new episodes like that. I know BBC2 is a spare channel and otherwise they'd be showing repeats but I wonder if that would confuse the audience, they can accept Bargain Hunt isn't on because of a special event but not that it was on an hour ago on BBC2.

One other thing about Happy Valley is how close to 10pm it finished, after the programme there was just a quick plug for the DVD then straight into the news, no trailers or anything. Presumably the episode was a bit longer than your average BBC1 drama.
This discussion has been closed.