Options

Any samoyed owners on here?

JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After years of trying to persuade my mum for a dog from me and my dad, it looks like she may finally be giving in.

My dad and I really have our hearts set on a Samoyed but after trawling the Internet for them, the nearest I could find was 60 miles away.

I just want to know how you got round to getting your Samoyed and are they rare?

Also what is their temparement like? and is it true they don't induce allergic reactions from people allergic to pet fur?

Comments

• Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH used to have a Samoyed when I met him, and I know another 2 very well. They can be quite vocal, and have to be groomed daily, well. Lovely dogs, but can be quite high maintenance.

Please don't go looking on the internet for a breeder. Although you might be lucky, the more reputable breeders wouldn't advertise on the net, or even the papers. Word of mouth is usually good enough for them, and no doubt will have a waiting list.

The best thing you can do, is phone the breed club, which will be able to put you in contact with any local breeders, if there are any, in your area. They will be the best people to advise you on any questions you may have regarding care, temprement, health tests etc.

Good luck, they really are beautiful looking dogs, but try not to go on looks alone, make sure 100% you can give them everything they need and that they can give you everything you require from a dog.
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a sam and they are truly wonderful dogs, so eye catching and elegant. Be prepared to have everyone stop you in the street though. :) There's one who lives about 10 miles from one but that's the only other one i've ever in daily life.

There arent a great deal of breeders about, dont buy from the closest breeder just for convenience. We looked for about 18 months for a suitable sam before settling on the one we wanted.

Obviously there's a whole lot of other things you need to be sure of before buying any pedigree dog and this link will help. It's full of sam owners and breeders who can give you any help you need.

http://samoyedlady.proboards45.com/index.cgi?

Be prepared for long walks and daily grooming, we also take our girl to a grooming parlour every 3 months. Also be prepared for the 'dirty sam' They dont like to stay white for very long. :D

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg142/ebbeskovdahl/DSCF2454.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is also a lovely bitch on the samoyed rescue website - http://www.samoyedrescue.co.uk/ along with an older boy. I'm sure either of them would love a new home if you would like to go down that route.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a sam and they are truly wonderful dogs, so eye catching and elegant. Be prepared to have everyone stop you in the street though. :)

LOL.
    I met a woman at the vets a while ago who had the most gorgeous Samoyed.
    I'd never seen one in the flesh before and I must've driven her slightly crazy going on about how lovely her dog was. I love the fact that they look as if they're such happy dogs.
    Their fur is just like that of a cuddly toy.
    I'm usually a cat person but I could very easily fall for a samoyed. They're a lovely size too. Not massive but "proper" dog sized.
    Good luck with finding one OP!
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two very close friends of mine have two, One boy and a bitch. They are really gorgeous , about two years ago they had puppies and I had the pleasure of seeing them when the pups were two days old, she had six but two died :( The 4 pups were all sold they grew to be beautiful bundles of fluff.

As mentioned in previous posts they are very vocal but wonderful with children.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is also a lovely bitch on the samoyed rescue website - http://www.samoyedrescue.co.uk/ along with an older boy. I'm sure either of them would love a new home if you would like to go down that route.

Yes, I did think about having a rescue dog as getting one that's already trained and has already been with people so they know what they're like is a bit less to worry about. I wouldn't get one over 5/6 though so the female one sounds ideal.

Another major plus of them is that they don't produce odour and they're apparently hypoallergenic, which would be a big help to me as I'm constantly sniffing and wheezing around dogs. As I'd never been around a Samoyed, I'd had to have one on a trial basis for like a week or so and see how I'd get on with it.
  • Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Samoyed about 15 years ago. We got him aged 10 months from a couple that said he was too much work with their 2 little kids.

Boy were they right he had never been trained properly and would growl if you passed by when he was eating or sleeping. He wrecked cushions and rugs and bit my Dad.

Kids wanted to stroke him but he was having none of it.

This was before the days of Victoria Stillwell :) so I took him to a dog psychologist class at the local college and we got asked to leave after he tried to mount all the other dogs and bite the teacher :eek:

He also had a dodgy stomach which I believe is common. He would back into a bush and do his business. It was all over his white fur and my Mum used to wash him as I couldn't. It gave me the boak sorry :(:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    They’re beautiful animals. But be prepared to spend a lot of time on grooming. And mine need more exercise than I could devote time to give him.
    I quickly realised my mistake and after two months we parted company and he ended up with the Welsh mountain rescue.
    I'm sure (well hope so anyway) that his days there were more enjoyable than they could had been with me. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macca@90 wrote: »
    I had a Samoyed about 15 years ago. We got him aged 10 months from a couple that said he was too much work with their 2 little kids.

Boy were they right he had never been trained properly and would growl if you passed by when he was eating or sleeping. He wrecked cushions and rugs and bit my Dad.

Kids wanted to stroke him but he was having none of it.

This was before the days of Victoria Stillwell :) so I took him to a dog psychologist class at the local college and we got asked to leave after he tried to mount all the other dogs and bite the teacher :eek:

He also had a dodgy stomach which I believe is common. He would back into a bush and do his business. It was all over his white fur and my Mum used to wash him as I couldn't. It gave me the boak sorry :(:o

:eek: Blimey.

That is unlucky, I hope you were in the minority. I've heard they're usually very friendly and affectionate dogs, one of the reasons why I'm thinking about getting one.

I used to go out walking a lot anyway so getting a dog will give me and my family more incentive to exercise, and again, the grooming is fine- I've had long haired rabbits before, I just hope they're not too resistant to it.

Anyway I've replied to an advert from a lady who lives about 20 miles from me, I'm going to see her 2 year old samoyed on Saturday to see if it affects my allergies, if not then hopefully I'll be able to take it home. :)
  • Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julzei wrote: »
    :eek: Blimey.

That is unlucky, I hope you were in the minority. I've heard they're usually very friendly and affectionate dogs, one of the reasons why I'm thinking about getting one.

I used to go out walking a lot anyway so getting a dog will give me and my family more incentive to exercise, and again, the grooming is fine- I've had long haired rabbits before, I just hope they're not too resistant to it.

Anyway I've replied to an advert from a lady who lives about 20 miles from me, I'm going to see her 2 year old samoyed on Saturday to see if it affects my allergies, if not then hopefully I'll be able to take it home. :)

Aaw I would have another one but maybe a female this time :)

He was very defensive of me and wouldn't let anyone near me.

When we arrived at the class the teacher said "aaw no not one of those" LOL

If I am ever in the situation to have a dog again I would like a Samoyed, Komondor, Hungarian Puli or Chow Chow :)
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi folks, don't usually venture into the pets forum but as a Samoyed owner this thread is obviously of interest.... :)

Best of luck Julzei I really hope it works out for you. Prior to owning Lily (15 month old bitch, photo on pp :)) I was never a dog person. I grew up as a kid with a cat as a pet and I suppose was always a little apprehensive about a pooch......

But anyway, last year when a Sam finished second at Crufts, my wife and kids begged and pleaded with me to get one....and I'm so glad I relented. Lily is a wonderfully affectionate, placid dog....she's not even that vocal compared to one or two posts above, it would seem. She's pretty stupid though, I don't know if that is a typical Samoyed characteristic?!

Health wise we've only had a problem with her diet. We have to feed her dried pellet food, no meat chunks....her anal glands get clogged and we have to take her to the vets monthly to have them squeezed....:eek:

I don't find the grooming element too onerous either tbh, it's all part and parcel of the fun of having a pet to me. My only concern is getting enough time to exercise her as thoroughly as I would like....anyone know the optimum time and distance per day?

Anyway, my overriding point is that if a really non-dog person like me can do a complete volte face and love a Samoyed then I'm sure you will too. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks, don't usually venture into the pets forum but as a Samoyed owner this thread is obviously of interest.... :)

Best of luck Julzei I really hope it works out for you. Prior to owning Lily (15 month old bitch, photo on pp :)) I was never a dog person. I grew up as a kid with a cat as a pet and I suppose was always a little apprehensive about a pooch......

But anyway, last year when a Sam finished second at Crufts, my wife and kids begged and pleaded with me to get one....and I'm so glad I relented. Lily is a wonderfully affectionate, placid dog....she's not even that vocal compared to one or two posts above, it would seem. She's pretty stupid though, I don't know if that is a typical Samoyed characteristic?!

Health wise we've only had a problem with her diet. We have to feed her dried pellet food, no meat chunks....her anal glands get clogged and we have to take her to the vets monthly to have them squeezed....:eek:

I don't find the grooming element too onerous either tbh, it's all part and parcel of the fun of having a pet to me. My only concern is getting enough time to exercise her as thoroughly as I would like....anyone know the optimum time and distance per day?

Anyway, my overriding point is that if a really non-dog person like me can do a complete volte face and love a Samoyed then I'm sure you will too. Good luck! :)

That's encouraging to hear. :)

Yeah crufts was where my dad and I discovered samoyeds.

Anyway it looks like we may be close to getting one.. it's been a very emotional day. I'll copy/paste the post I posted at a dog forum.
    I've wanted a dog as long as I have known about their existance, so I was dead chuffed a few weeks ago when my mum finally caved in and allowed me and my dad to get one.

My dad and I have always loved samoyeds, ever since we saw one win 2nd place on crufts. Having done my research, they sound like the ideal dog for my family because they are hypoallergenic, friendly and require a lot of exercise- which me and my dad do a lot of.

After ringing up several rescue centres to no avail, we finally found a 2 year old advertised 20 miles from us. On top of that, she is fully house trained and quiet and affectionate as we're told.

I was really upset this afternoon when the owner left a message on my answer machine saying another person was interested and unfortunately let her go. After sobbing for about 30 minutes, my mum rang her back. It turns out the lady offered £400 - £100 over the asking price and is collecting it tomorrow, my mum said we'd pay £450 if she let us collect her in the morning.

I'm still worried sick in case she gets her this evening, I have my heart set on this dog. Now it turns out my dad has reservations because I have a slight allergy to dogs - mainly my friends jack russell and my aunts shetland sheepdog and we've heard samoyeds are hypoallergenic and it turns out the lady is selling it because it is causing problems with her daughters eyes. and my dad's also worried in case the dog misses its family and howls in the night.

Sorry if that was long and rambly; Basically I'm just wondering if its true about samoyeds being hypoallergenic and how they are when being seperated from their families? and is it really worth improving my emotional health by vast amounts to the detriment of my physical health? :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope you get /got your samoyed J.......didn't much like the sound of the bargaining shenanigans you've had to become embroiled in tbh........

That said, 450 doesn't sound too bad........we paid 700 for ours at three months........not sure if they go down in price if they're a bit older? lol, I make them sound like depreciating cars!

Lily was separated from her mum and sister too, but we haven't had any problems about her howling at night or anything like that, so although it's difficult to generalise maybe your dad needn't worry about that too much.......

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just trying to post a pic or two of her too.......been trying for half an hour lol.........let's see if this works:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TerrenceChant/Lilyinthesnow.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TerrenceChant/Amelias13thandhalloween030.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julzei, did you get the sam? I would not have pandered to the woman's demands. If the owner cared anything about the dog they would be selling it to the most suitable person and not auctioning the poor thing off. Do you know if she was also telling the truth about the other person? Lots of people try that trick and if she's lying about that then she could be lying about other things such as why they are giving the dog away.

Was the owner also willing to give you details of the dogs past and where she bought it from, at £450 for a two year old it should also be KC registered at that price and you should have been provided with a copy of the certificate etc etc.

TC, Lily looks like she's growing into a foxy young bitch, cant believe you have the cheek to slag me off for buying bandanas when you have Lily dressed in a halloween costume. :D Do you have a 5th gen pedigree certificate I could have a peek at? Our sams look so different, just wondering if there's any distant relations somewhere down the line. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just trying to post a pic or two of her too.......been trying for half an hour lol.........let's see if this works:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TerrenceChant/Lilyinthesnow.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TerrenceChant/Amelias13thandhalloween030.jpg

She's stunning, her face reminds me of an Artic fox :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks kmn........as DC said, everywhere we go takes twice as long because we get stopped by people wanting to stroke her, she seems to love being the centre of attention!

DC, I thought it only fair that I evened the score in the 'dog in ridiculous headwear' stakes! That photo reminds me I really must weed my patio. :D

As regards the pedigree issue, watch this space. All her certification is safely stored away, I'll hook it out when I get a minute. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julzei, did you get the sam? I would not have pandered to the woman's demands. If the owner cared anything about the dog they would be selling it to the most suitable person and not auctioning the poor thing off. Do you know if she was also telling the truth about the other person? Lots of people try that trick and if she's lying about that then she could be lying about other things such as why they are giving the dog away.

Was the owner also willing to give you details of the dogs past and where she bought it from, at £450 for a two year old it should also be KC registered at that price and you should have been provided with a copy of the certificate etc etc.

TC, Lily looks like she's growing into a foxy young bitch, cant believe you have the cheek to slag me off for buying bandanas when you have Lily dressed in a halloween costume. :D Do you have a 5th gen pedigree certificate I could have a peek at? Our sams look so different, just wondering if there's any distant relations somewhere down the line. :)

Yeah I did get her in the end, she's absolutely adorable, my whole family are besotted with her. Her names Molly.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4080/020309002.jpg
    http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4433/020309003x.jpg

I was a bit wary at first, but the lady selling her did show us all other messages from the other buyer interested in her where she said she'd be willing to go up to £600 to buy her but she thought I was the more suitable for her as I wanted her as a pet rather than just using her to make money by breeding off her. I'm still in contact with her at the moment, sending pictures and texts to her so at least that shows she still cares about her welfare.
    She also showed us her documents and lineage, she has extremely good pedigree in her, particularly on her dad's side, lots of champions there. I'm thinking about showing her myself actually but only after lots of training.

She's good as gold in the house, placid and docile even, but as soon as shes out the front door shes a whole different dog. She constantly pulls on the lead and won't stop barking and jumping at different people and dogs walking by. So we're going to have to take her to some training classes. Also I've heard spaying them would help, but I'm not sure I want to do that as it seems so extreme.

Terrence Chant your sammie is gorgeous! She's so fluffy in the top photo, I didn't realise females could get that fluffy. Do they get that fluffy at a certain time of the year or do they get like that when they are spayed? Molly's been clipped as her fur got matted up apparently so hopefully she will fluff out a bit later on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Julzei, may you have a long and enjoyable time with your sammy, bet you don't regret it! Molly is two years old, that was the Samoyed you got in the end, right? Some really lovely photographs you've posted.

I've never had Lily clipped, although she is getting a bit wispy round the cheeks. I'm still undecided on whether it's essential. Similarly I've never had a problem with her fur getting matted up, it's not as if I brush her daily either, she just seldomly gets knotted fur. I don't recall her fur growing out particularly after being speyed, she's just always been a fluffball!!

Best of luck and keep us posted with how you get on :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Julzie on getting a sam. :) You'll have years of fun and loving attention from Molly.

Did the chrome collar come from the previous owner? You should change it as that type of collar can cause a reaction from the sams inner coat especially at times when they are casting. The type of collar you need is http://www.lamp-post.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CH4155 There are diagrams online showing you how to measure your dogs neck for the right size.

What did the previous owner do with the KC documents? She should have told you to contact the KC and have ownership transferred over. You'll need to pay for this but you really do need to do it as it could cause so many problems with insurance etc in future. Remember, Sams arent always the healthiest of breeds and a lot of them do need quite a lot of vetinery treatment often so if even the smallest thing was wrong on your documents then you could easily be hundreds or thousands out of pocket. Also make sure you have a copy of her booster dates etc. I'm sure the previous owner has already told you all of this but just incase she hasnt. :)

Do you also know when she is due to go into season or to cast? The amount of fur they shed is so funny, she'll lose an entire coat over just a few days, you wont believe just how much comes off her.

Finally. :) Post some more pics of Molly when you can, I want to see more. TC, pics of Lily (Allen) are also welcome. :)

These are a couple of my faves of Lucy although they arent very recent.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/2882976798_1065f91c4c_b.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/2882970006_b92c0ce46f_b.jpg
  • Options
    ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here is a photo of our samoyed who will be 13 in july
    they are the best dogs ever and are great with children

IMG_2221.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These really are some lovely photos being posted. I must be going soft 'cos that old poppa Sammy nearly brought a tear to my eye! I'll have to upload / download (whichever it is) some more of Lily when I have the opportunity.

Hygiene question........

Bathing: how regular? I read on a (Canadian) Samoyed website that you should only shampoo bath your sammy once or twice a year. This concerned me because last year, the first year I had her, I must have bathed her monthly.

Since I read the piece I've just hosed her down where the mud is rather than bath her. Consequently, I've only shampoo bathed her once or twice this year. What if the Internet article was wrong - although it was purportedly written by a Dr you never can be too sure with the web.

I'm probably worrying about nothing though....Lily is a very hygienic dog and quite often grooms herself, again I read this is characteristic of Samoyeds....if she smelt awful after hosing then I would bath her more frequently, but she doesn't. Be interested to hear some other opinions though.....:)
  • Options
    ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG those dogs are adorable.

Those pics Ste 1969 are great espeacially with your little girl so cute.

Congrats on your sammy Julezi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These really are some lovely photos being posted. I must be going soft 'cos that old poppa Sammy nearly brought a tear to my eye! I'll have to upload / download (whichever it is) some more of Lily when I have the opportunity.

Hygiene question........

Bathing: how regular? I read on a (Canadian) Samoyed website that you should only shampoo bath your sammy once or twice a year. This concerned me because last year, the first year I had her, I must have bathed her monthly.

Since I read the piece I've just hosed her down where the mud is rather than bath her. Consequently, I've only shampoo bathed her once or twice this year. What if the Internet article was wrong - although it was purportedly written by a Dr you never can be too sure with the web.

I'm probably worrying about nothing though....Lily is a very hygienic dog and quite often grooms herself, again I read this is characteristic of Samoyeds....if she smelt awful after hosing then I would bath her more frequently, but she doesn't. Be interested to hear some other opinions though.....:)

Lucy's only been bathed with shampoo a couple of times when she's been filthy, never had any ill effects from it.

Does Lily go to a grooming parlour? We take Lucy to one near here every 3 months where she get's bathed, groomed, fur trimmed from her feet, claws clipped, the whole works really. It costs £27 and is well worth every penny. It takes about 2 hours and she looks stunning when we get her back. Then we take her to the vets to be weighed, im sure those scales groan when they see her coming through the door. :o

She's on a diet now though but still overweight although it's coming down gradually.

This is her today :) - http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/1694/lucy24march.jpg