Options

Adrian Chiles Implicated in 5Live Audience Drop

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Poor old Adrian Chiles now seems to be getting part of the blame for a 10% drop in 5Live's audience since a new presenter line-up was introduced, not to mention
complaints abut a lack of female presenters.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/05/bbc-radio-5-live-audience-below-where-id-hoped-admits-controller

Comments

• Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if there is any connection between Chiles and Clarke Carlisle?
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    The trend by quarter says the fall has been tiny. Sorry to let the facts get in the way. The big falls happened before the new schedule was implemented.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 5 Live has really lost its way. The presenters aren't so much the problem, but the station itself isn't sure whether to follow LBC or TalkSport.
  • Options
    the forgemasterthe forgemaster Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Listened to Peter Allen this morning and to my ears he sounded like he wished he was somewhere else - on the schedule, at least,

Drive was where he excelled - why mess with the schedule just for changes sake?
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Poor old Adrian Chiles now seems to be getting part of the blame for a 10% drop in 5Live's audience since a new presenter line-up was introduced, not to mention
    complaints abut a lack of female presenters.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/05/bbc-radio-5-live-audience-below-where-id-hoped-admits-controller

If they need more women on get Christine Bleakley over every show she touches, errrrr falls of a cliff, or has a naughty feather.
  • Options
    tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listened to Peter Allen this morning and to my ears he sounded like he wished he was somewhere else - on the schedule, at least,

Drive was where he excelled - why mess with the schedule just for changes sake?

I agree he was very good on Drive. The parts of Five live I enjoy most is sport and live news.
    They cover sport so much better than Talk Sport be it live or studio based. They also do live news very well.
    What they don't do so well is opinion based shows. I think this is more to do with the BBC set up of being impartial more than the station itself. They should stick to more investigation type shows and other current affairs and leave the speech shows to LBC.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    The Guardian gets on its (yawn) hobby horse of blaming the fall to a lack of female presenters when there is little evidence that is the case. Rather it is, aside from Adrian Chiles, adding several unknown presenters to the daily line-up and, worse, with much less personality than their better-known predecessors.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone blamed Chiles for ISIS, Ukraine or Ebola yet ?
  • Options
    mbutler2007mbutler2007 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    between 9am and 7pm 5 live has went down hill im not surprised eople are moving to outer channals. but im not sure you can blame chiles this time
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

Not yet but there is time...Chiles really gets a rough deal. I like his Radio 5 show, like it much more than Peter Allen's programme to be honest.
  • Options
    daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Why "poor" Adrian Chiles ..say no more. only problem he has is that is a brummie
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

Only James Corden and Kay Burley, so far.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I saw the partial thread title "Adrian Chiles implicated..." on the forum list front page I feared the worst! :D
  • Options
    Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole of 5 Live from its presenters to content is nose diving. In its early years it had great presenters with authority and gravitas, able to break news as it happened and inform the nation. Presenters like Peter Allen, Jane Garvey, Fi Glover, Richard Dallyn, Brian Hayes, Matthew Bannister, Julian Warwicker were the backbone of the station, intelligent and speaking with ease whatever was going on.
    Now we have nobody's with barely any experience in news or journalism, ex sports commentators, shouty know it alls, people who should never even be allowed near a microphone let alone a national BBC station -yes you Dotan Adebayo!

The station controller should be ashamed of himself with his recent changes. The daytime schedule is atrocious with awful presenters, annoying voices for radio and lacking in basic journalistic skills. There are a few rare exceptions like Simon Mayo on Friday afternoons for 2 hours, but 95% of the time is is unlistenable. When Adrian Chiles is one of the better presenters you know you have a problem.

So, it's obvious why no one wants to listen, I gave up some months ago and don't see myself going back any time soon.