Options

Barely Legal Drivers - BBC3 Tuesdays 21:00 starting 2/4/13

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Thought that was a jaw dropping moment....which really, most of this was....and what was the point in filming Tom in the night club and at the flat with the Girls....nothing to do with his 'bad' Driving.

And the car for Chantelle at the end.:eek:

yeah this is very true! what was all that filming about?! it was like a scene from that sun sea and suspicious parents programme watching them in the clubs!
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    After reading this thread i thought Chantelle cannot be that bad. OMG how wrong I was. This silly excuse for a chav should not be let out of the house let alone behind the wheel of a car

Not sure what was worse her potty mouth, her complete disredard for everything and her I dont give a **** about anything attitude. A prime candidate for the Jeremy Kyle show

What really cracked me up was the fact that she turned up in a clapped out Renault and asked for a test drive on a £60 000 range rover. Now if the cameras had not been there I am certain that the garage would have told her where to go.

A 19 year old buying a £60 000 car, how was she going to pay for this, pay for the insurance etc. Then again her idol is Katie Price which speaks volumes about her

A nineteen year-old wouldn't get insurance on a £60K car.
    I won't say she wouldn't be offered insurance, but any insurer would load the premium by such an amount, she wouldn't be able to afford it.
    Few people under twenty as first time drivers would be able to get insurance on a second hand car where the premium isn't as much as or more than the car is worth.

I see very few teenage drivers on the roads today and I wonder if those I do see are insured.
  • Options
    iampetesmithiampetesmith Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    The girl was outrageous. I passed my test 3 years ago and still find that I drive pretty much the way I was taught. I even indicate when there's no one around, just out of habit. Then you see these idiots and wonder how they passed in the first place. I failed my 1st test for "undue hesitation" - taking too long at a roundabout because no one indicated.

Once that girl got to Birmingham, she was just driving up and down the Hagley Road for an hour it was quite funny. The hotel she was after is opposite New St station which is the other way, so she must have kept going round the Five Ways island.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The girl was outrageous. I passed my test 3 years ago and still find that I drive pretty much the way I was taught. I even indicate when there's no one around, just out of habit. Then you see these idiots and wonder how they passed in the first place. I failed my 1st test for "undue hesitation" - taking too long at a roundabout because no one indicated.

Once that girl got to Birmingham, she was just driving up and down the Hagley Road for an hour it was quite funny. The hotel she was after is opposite New St station which is the other way, so she must have kept going round the Five Ways island.

We can all get a bit sloppy when we're driving. I personally believe that the first two or three minutes after someone gets into a car every morning, is the time they are at their sloppiest.

It never amazes me the number of people who don't know the preference order at mini-roundabouts, despite these things "coming with instructions."

Bad habits can creep in. The worst I find is on motorways, where many drivers only look as far ahead as the bumper of the car in front, when they should actually be concentrating on what's happening 300yds ahead. Peripheral vision will pick up anything happening nearer than that. The failure to do this contributes to most "shunts."
    The other bad habit is people alternately speeding up and slowing down on motorways for no reason.
  • Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I question the timing of this show as a few weeks ago BBC Three showed The Crash, an outstanding drama about young drivers involved in a horrific crash killing 3 of their friends.

then we have this show which is in a a way making light of how young drivers drive.

i don't get what they are trying to achieve?

one thing i was confused about, was the camera on the dashboard or windscreen? as surely it would be distracting either way unless it was hidden?
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Instead of re-quoting various posts. I agree with everything everyone else has already said.

I haven't complained to the relevant authorities yet, but will do.

This seems like another stupid driving programme called Dangerous Drivers School, which was on Channel 5, which had the description "Three experienced driving instructors buckle up with a collection of drivers who, while they have all passed their driving tests, have not got to grips with the rules of the road"

What the current programme and the programme above shows is how bad teaching learners seems to be.

And I don't think I've seen 8 pages and 180 posts, all negative, just for the first episode of a programme! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I just watched this on I player and I'm flabbergasted! I'm learning to drive at the mo (at the ripe old age of 35) and I had a near miss on my lesson today thanks to a plumber that seemed to have forgotten what that wee stick on the left hand side of the steering wheel is for.
    My instructor said never trust other road users and after watching this I absolutely won't be.

As an aside did anyone notice that lass from People Like Us is a passenger in a car in an upcoming episode? The one who's parents own the wishy washy laundrette?
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »

And I don't think I've seen 8 pages and 180 posts, all negative, just for the first episode of a programme! :eek:

Quite the damning general consensus isn't it :eek:

Totally justified though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    There is something deeply questionable about this show. Nobody even seems to know who is responsible for the final decision...

Renegade Pictures: At the end of it, a former traffic cop, sitting alongside the parents, will have the final say on whether the teen should have a car of their own.

BBC3 Twitter: Will it be a new car or more lessons for Tommy and Chantelle? Their parents will decide after watching them in #BarelyLegalDrivers on now!

1:28 into show: "At the end of it all, aided and abetted by a former traffic cop the parents will have a decision to make"

40:00 in to show "The final decision lies with Judith".

Other pearls I'd missed amongst the anger were our esteemed former traffic officer describing mobile phone use at the wheel as a "bugbear" of hers.

And in response to the BBC who claim "the practical advice in the show that can be taken on board by the drivers in the programme". After seeing the footage back and hearing Judith's words...

TOMMY: Now I'm doing this advanced driving course, when I do get a car I'll be twice as safe a driver as I already am

So what will that be? Only 15mg over the legal limit?

CHANTELLE: Alright, I'm on my phone and I've done my make-up and stuff... but I'm not a dangerous driver.

Cheers Judith, your hardline approach really got through!
  • Options
    MKMK Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else notice at the end of the program when the girl was driving back to her house that the speedo in the car wasn't working. They also mentioned during it that the horn wasn't working. That car shouldn't be allowed on the road in the first place never mind with her driving it!

Maybe the car was on a trailer or some sort of stunt dolly.

The whole program had an un real feel to it.

Also all the interior illumination in that chaps focus did not appear to work (or the lights were not switched on - even though it was the middle of the night in the rain??)
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just watched five mins of this - this cannot be real!!! This Chantelle girl should not even be driving a bike!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive just watched it, 2 out of 3 times she used her phone so surely she needs extra lessons! the majority of the time she drove badly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For those curious, it would appear BBC3 set aside £4000 of our license fee for the free car...

I suppose I should technically say
    ahead of this link, but is anyone here really watching this show for the suspense and storytelling?

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Matthew-drives-prize-passing-test-small-screen/story-18642964-detail/story.html#axzz2Ps1BoLhk

Ignoring how offensive this show is on so many levels, it's hilarious that they need to tell the bizarre b-story of how all these teens have "issues". My mum's died, I don't have father/son time, I was bullied.

The stupidest show I've seen since Gene Detectives!
  • Options
    lemonpinkladylemonpinklady Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was the worst show ever! Disgusted that the girl got a car, as is everyone else on this thread, should we all e-mail Jeremy Vine on Points of View?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This was the worst show ever! Disgusted that the girl got a car, as is everyone else on this thread, should we all e-mail Jeremy Vine on Points of View?

Absolutely, but why stop there? There's Ofcom and in this instance, even the police.
  • Options
    chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind you she could be in the running for a job if the police are looking for a 'young person' to advise them on young peoples perspective on driving matters ?

Seems to have all the right qualifications as per that other female in the news at the moment

LINK
  • Options
    Vexed womanVexed woman Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see footage of the parents driving with hidden cameras, not too convinced by the lovely Chantelle's father. If my parents saw me driving like that the softly softly style by the boys mother would not be displayed, lots of bleeps and "I raised you better than that" would have been heard as well as the death stare and raising blood pressure look would be in effect.
    I'd be begging the nice retired Police lady to stay and protect me.
    Parents are far too soft.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So after reading everybodies comments on all the pages, I bet everyone is waiting for tonights episode with bated breath? :rolleyes::p:D (and any other suitable emoticons!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    So after reading everybodies comments on all the pages, I bet everyone is waiting for tonights episode with bated breath? :rolleyes::p:D (and any other suitable emoticons!)

Not particularly... this isn't a bad programme in the sense that Splash! was/is. You can at least revel and have fun in the metaphorical car crash of that.

Rewarding law-breaking irresponsible drivers who's ignorant behaviour could actually kill people with literal car crashes doesn't really tick my sh*ts and giggles box.

It's just cheap and nasty and the very worst sort of television.
  • Options
    lemonpinkladylemonpinklady Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone in next week's TV Choice letters page is praising this! Quote 'provides a good insight into the mind set of freshly qualified young motorists'. Can't believe it. :mad:
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Someone in next week's TV Choice letters page is praising this! Quote 'provides a good insight into the mind set of freshly qualified young motorists'. Can't believe it. :mad:

Some mis-informed dear must've watched it and decided it was a common example of the "yoof of today"
    Before cracking open another bag of werthers.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I know I've just bumped myself here, buuuut.

Are we ready DS? Have a rag ready to bite on as another kid gets awarded a car? TV screen protected from flying objects? Are more importantly...are your car keys still on the hook?
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all...
    Here we go..
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I drive so much better when I'm a little bit tipsy" :eek:
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God - I think it's the one who likes to drink-drive..